rhazlett

What's your take on purchasing used clubs?

Our Sponsors

The search for the holy grail of golf equipment is a temptation many of us fall into. Buying used helps to continue that search without breaking the bank. I do have my fair share of used odds and ends but mostly as an experiment more than anything else. My gamer bag always contains bought new items.

Mizuno Mp5s replaced my Mizuno MP52s in 2014. Bought the MP52s new in 2007.

EVNROLL ERC3 bought new replaced my PING Anser in 2018. I bought the PING Anser new when Jesus was still walking the links.

PING G400 SFT Driver bought new in 2018 replaced my TM R7. I bought the R7 new in 2008.

Wedges I always buy new and replace every two years.

My Cobra 3 Wood I bought new in 2017. It was my first 3 Wood since the Cleveland Launcher I bought new back in 2000.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

On 5/8/2019 at 6:05 PM, alfriday101 said:

I have bought several clubs from Callaway Preowned.  The site lists the specs of the clubs and a condition rating.  The condition has always been better than listed.  

The site has clubs other than Callaway.  

No doubt, they are great. I'm always shocked at how nice the club actually looks when it arrives. 

Used or older models is the best way to go. I'll buy gently used anything, besides wedges. Wedges I tend to want to buy new, although that doesn't mean it'll be the newest years model. Obviously, I want any club I purchase to be in great shape. 

I don't find there's usually enough benefit in new generations to make the switch. 

Irons, I have purchased both new and used. The two new sets I've purchased, one I kept for 10 years and the other is currently on its second season. I'm of the mindset that it's the indian not the arrow. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Nothing wrong with used, could be a great option for a beginner, and some good deals to be had too, as long as they are a 'suitable fit' as in about the right length etc.  A smallish junior using her 6'3" dad's custom fit clubs may be less than ideal though.

Custom fitting options for used will usually be more limited though.  

My first set were second hand Callaways, used for 10 years before getting custom fit a couple of years ago.  And will definitely look at used drivers when I want to change mine.

• Like 1

The irons I've been playing for the past couple years I found at the local golf store. They're 10+ years old but I got a set of 3-SW for like $125. I actually really like them. This should've been prefaced by saying that my game in no way justifies spending new club money. But there's golfers all over that buy new stuff often and get rid of perfectly fine 1-2 year old gear. 

Driver:  :ping-small: K15 10.5

3W: :taylormade-small:  M2 15

Hybrid: Knight XVII 23

4i-Sw:  :taylormade-small: Rac Lt 

Acer XB 58o Wedge D-grind 

Putter:  :ping-small: Karsten Craz-E

The only items I buy new are the putter and the wedges. I am not getting paid to play golf, so why would I drop 1200 bucks for an iron set? I got bills to pay I got mouths to feed. Picked up a sweet deal on some Cobra blades here two weeks ago, and they were like brand new. Used all the way.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

Buying used clubs is fine, you just have to make sure you do it from a reputable source.  Theres so many fakes on sites like Ebay that if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Having said that, Ive bought dozens and dozens of clubs off of Ebay and never had an issue or reason to suspect a fake.  I always bought from reputable sellers with lots of positive feedback though.

All of my clubs that I have now were bought new, partly because most of them are no-name clubs that are cheap even when bought new.  I got my Tour Edge driver at the end of the season for a big discount, Pinemeadow clubs are cheap, Top Flite clubs are cheap and I bought my Wilson 8802 new because I couldnt really find any used ones and didnt want to wait.

Theres nothing wrong with buying used if you are on a budget.  Ive bought many used sets of irons and it allowed me to try clubs that I never could have afforded if I had bought them new.

Honestly, with the way that the prices of drivers are going, if I really wanted a driver that was $500, Id probably wait a couple years until I could buy a used one for a less than half of what that club was new.  That is one of the good things about the used club market: everyone wants the latest and the greatest, so you can often find one that is a couple years old in great condition for a fraction of what that club was new.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I like new gear just as much as the next guy but I love a good deal even more.

I'll only buy used if in excellent condition though. Presently my driver, irons, SW, LW and putter were all bought used.

Only 3W and hybrids were new.

I typically buy used irons as I play a lot and they get beat up fast.  I bought my current set from Callaway Pre Owned.com and had a great experience.  They even replaced one that I broke.  Also had good luck with golf traders group on FaceBook.  Putter and woods for me need to be new.  

:taylormade-small:  M1 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black)

:callaway-small:           XR 15* (Project X Blue) 

:callaway-small:           XR 22* (Project X Blue)

:callaway-small:           Steelhead XR (True Temper XP)

:taylormade-small:  R9 48*

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 52* (KBS Tour)

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 56* (KBS Tour)

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 60* (KBS Tour)

:odyssey-small: Marxman Fang

:titelist-small:          PROV1X

Every club in my bag with the exception of my driver (Christmas present from my parents 8 years ago) and 60* (birthday present to myself 2 years ago) were used. I've continually traded up gear as I've gotten better but the next purchases I make will be new on everything, hopefully within the next year or so. With all the options out there to find used gear that's in good condition and fit the type of game you're playing, I'd have a hard time telling a beginner to start on anything but used clubs.

Right Handed

Driver: Cobra Amp (circa ~2013)  8.5* X-Stiff

19* Hybrid: Cobra King F7 Stiff

Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2 714 X-Stiff

52* Wedge: Vokey SM6

56* Wedge: TaylorMade Tour Preferred

60* Wedge: Vokey SM6

Putter: Nike Method MC-3i Blade

Ball: Vice Pro+

I've bought a lot of clubs over the years used. I used to buy off eBay but I haven't in many years now. I typically look at the Classifieds here and WRX - I've purchased quite a bit that way. I know what works for me so I keep my eyes open. My driver head and shaft were both purchased that way - it took some time but I got exactly what I wanted for a fraction of the cost and you couldn't tell they had ever been hit. My putter I bought new and the most I've ever spent on a putter - including a slew of Scotty's (all of which were purchased used). My three wood was slightly used but you couldn't tell it. My irons I bought new but I traded in and sold some things to finance those. It's a good question - made me sit and think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I buy a lot of clubs used. Occasionally i'll buy a new iron set, but that's generally the one thing in my bag that doesn't change for a few years. I tend to scour classifieds and facebook groups for a lot of my things, but i'll also look at sites like callawaypreowned or global golf. Tend to find some good deals, especially when they have sales. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

Well, I WANT to buy used clubs, but the new shiney stuff always entices me to buy them, lol...like the 919s are on my radar....as are some drivers, oh and some new wedges and a new putter.....I think I have a problem...😁😂😅

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver:  :cobra-small: F8 10.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag:  :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:

:skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I have purchased a number of putters used over the years as long as they look new.

My current set I was fit for and purchased new.  Prior clubs were all purchased in heavily discounted sales or clearance on old models.  I hate the thought of buying new at full price if I am not 100% sure they will work for me.

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Irons - Srixon Z565 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

From a store, or from Callaway Preowned, I’m good, but not so much on eBay, or random folks online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Used is new to me lol.
Have no issue with getting a used club if it's something I'm looking to try or one I've been waiting on the price to be in my area.
Online or in person doesn't matter.
If online I usually buy those with a lot of pictures and seller has good feedback.
I've passed on clubs from sellers with little to no feedback. Figuring it's likely one of those to good to be true deals.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Well, I WANT to buy used clubs, but the new shiney stuff always entices me to buy them, lol...like the 919s are on my radar....as are some drivers, oh and some new wedges and a new putter.....I think I have a problem...

MDGolfHacker

You know....if you were right handed....you, me and CG2 could have a nice swap system going on....

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

7 minutes ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

You know....if you were LEFT handed....you, me and CG2 could have a nice swap system going on....

There, I fixed it for you...😁😂😅

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver:  :cobra-small: F8 10.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag:  :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:

:skycaddie: LX5 Watch

On 5/8/2019 at 4:41 PM, rhazlett said:

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs? Do you always purchase new or often look for last year's model?

Anymore, I often look at the used club section before seeing what's new. To me, the upgrades that many club companies introduce every year seem so minimal. I can't justify the extra cost just to say the club is new. 

If you do buy used, who do you trust or what do you look for in an used club?

I purchased club's from eBay, received really nice taylormade woods,brand new for cheap. Also received some cobra irons brand new,that's where I would find my next set.

• Like 1