Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hogan Driver?

Shankster

2 hours ago, gbtrsc said:

That's only with one of the three shaft options.  The Tensei and Helium should raise up launch and spin some. 

Hmm, I took it to be that head was low on both and you can modify it a bit with shaft choice - need to read it again I guess.  I demo'ed the Wilson C300 and could not do anything good with that no matter the shaft as the head was inherently too low on spin.  There were a number of good strikes with that one that stayed at around 2000 rpms which just is not enough with a 100 mph swingspeed.

• 5 weeks later...

My demo driver and FW are on the way!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

Had some range time with the GS53 10.5 with the Helium 5F4 shaft. Quite a muted sound at impact. Sounds solid but muted is the best word. I had it set for 0.5* strong and 1* open. I was hoping with the Helium I could realize a bit higher ball flight. But for me that setup produced pretty low flights. Hits toward the toe gave some pretty big cuts and much higher flight.

I still have a couple of weeks to test different settings and will be doing so. But if I had to make a decision today, my Srixon z565 would stay in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, gbtrsc said:

Had some range time with the GS53 10.5 with the Helium 5F4 shaft. Quite a muted sound at impact. Sounds solid but muted is the best word. I had it set for 0.5* strong and 1* open. I was hoping with the Helium I could realize a bit higher ball flight. But for me that setup produced pretty low flights. Hits toward the toe gave some pretty big cuts and much higher flight.

I still have a couple of weeks to test different settings and will be doing so. But if I had to make a decision today, my Srixon z565 would stay in the bag.

Agree with this 100%! Toe misses for me start right and go farther right. Super high launch and about 30yds short of my avg distance. This is a low spin monster when centered, but forgiveness is pretty bad imo. Of course thats due to strike and inconsistencies in the swing, but compared to my m5 the Hogan is way less accurate. In 4 rounds ive hit some of the longest drives ive had this year, but also had more wild drives in 4 rounds than the 30 rounds with my m5.

Could be a comfort thing but right now I really prefer my m5. All around the m5 sounds and feels much better to me... The hogan has more potential in distance so of course im dying to see what I can really get out of it, but if I keep ending up in the trees then it will be retired pretty quickly

Also to my eye it looks like the center of the face sticks out farther than the toe and heel 

TM M5 9* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 6x

TM M6 15* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 7x

Callaway Epic Forged 4i Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

Mizuno MP 20MMC 4 - PW Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

TM Milled Grind 2 50*, 54* UST Recoil Prototype 125

TM Bigfoot 58* UST Recoil Wedge Prototype 125

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

I really want to like this driver. But after a couple of range sessions and one full round, it’s not convincing me. Maybe it’s the Helium shaft, maybe the 1/2 inch extra length, combination, whatever. So far my Srixon z565 stays put.

35 minutes ago, gbtrsc said:

I really want to like this driver. But after a couple of range sessions and one full round, it’s not convincing me. Maybe it’s the Helium shaft, maybe the 1/2 inch extra length, combination, whatever. So far my Srixon z565 stays put.

mine came stock at 45.75 inches. Cut it down to 44.75 and did make a difference. During the week I walk 9 holes by myself since I'm off work by 2. Ill hit both drivers this week head to head and see how it goes. As of yesterday my m5 is staying put also 

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Hmm, I took it to be that head was low on both and you can modify it a bit with shaft choice - need to read it again I guess.  I demo'ed the Wilson C300 and could not do anything good with that no matter the shaft as the head was inherently too low on spin.  There were a number of good strikes with that one that stayed at around 2000 rpms which just is not enough with a 100 mph swingspeed.

As long as you’re launching the ball high enough (13-15 degrees), 2000 rpms should be just fine.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On 5/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, MaxEntropy said:

I like the looks of the new stuff - classy looking IMO.

I want to see a test with these and see how they perform. Hopefully one is in the pipeline for this summer.

I agree, a test would be awesome! 

Interesting that with both the putter line release and most recently the driver release, the product line was launched just after publication of MGS Most Wanted testing. For a company that needs word-of-mouth advertising to spread, getting new products into those tests could have been a big boon (or bust, but maybe that was enough to keep them out).

I've got Hogan for everything between woods and putter. I don't think I'm switching the flatstick but to get a driver/fw combination for what I spent just on driver last time would be a big incentive.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

9 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

As long as you’re launching the ball high enough (13-15 degrees), 2000 rpms should be just fine.

I am at 13* and need at least 2500 average to be safe if I miss it a little and see a spin drop off of a couple 100 RPMs.  I have had some on lower spin heads that just drop out of the air.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:13 PM, bellairemi said:

I am at 13* and need at least 2500 average to be safe if I miss it a little and see a spin drop off of a couple 100 RPMs.  I have had some on lower spin heads that just drop out of the air.

if you're launching 13* and sometimes spin below 2500, then that should be perfect!!! not dropping out of the air.... 2400 - 2500rpm is where most people dream of being at. To want at least 2500 rpm, I wouldn't advise wanting to go much higher

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Sent the demos back today. Going to wait to demo the woods with Tensei Stiff.

Srixon must have known I sent the Hogan back yesterday. 5 blocks right with the Srixon. I never do that with that club!

On 6/30/2019 at 4:20 PM, gbtrsc said:

Srixon must have known I sent the Hogan back yesterday. 5 blocks right with the Srixon. I never do that with that club!

Maybe you need to carry a second driver in your bag at all times, just so the Srixon knows it has a little competition. haha

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Played nine last night. Srixon was cooperative again, so she appears to be over her jealous fit.

I have the driver and 3 wood and they are pretty good. The driver feels really good and is pretty low spin. I had a huge miss on the toe that ended up exactly where I was aiming only about 15 yards shorter than my normal drive on that hole.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 10 months later...

I have been gaming this driver for almost a year now and have no plans of changing to something else anytime soon.  At least until BHG comes out with a new driver.  Hit it as far as anything else I have ever played and with more accuracy.  Ordered it with the UST Helium shaft and liked it with that shaft but the driver really came alive when I put an Accra TZ6 55 M4 shaft in it.  Has proven to be a great combo for me.

Got the driver and 3 wood, x flex in smoke black shaft...easy to hit, appearance at address reminds me of my old Cleveland launcher which was the best driver I’ve ever played. 

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter

OnCore Elixir and Avant Balls