Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Should 3W shaft be "heavier" than Driver shaft?

So, I've always heard that your fairway shafts should be heavier than your driver shaft.  I'm curious if this is generally a rule or if anyone out there has essentially the same shaft in their 3 wood that they have in their driver.  I was recently fitted in the Cobra F9 Driver with the EvenFlow blue 65g 5.5 shaft.  I was not fitted for a 3 wood.  I love the driver so much, I now want the 3 wood.  The EvenFlow Blue 5.5 is available for the Cobra fairways in both 65g and 75g.  So is it reasonable to expect I should be in the 75g since I'm in 65g with the driver?  Thanks for any insight.

Having played the same shafts in my driver, FW and even hybrid before, I have always had heavier shafts in the FW and hybrid. With that said though, I'm not 100% sure about the reasoning behind it and I know that's not helpful, haha! But if you like the EvenFlow Blue, then it's a pretty safe bet that you'll like it in the FW. And I do think it's reasonable to expect to have the 75g shaft in the FW, but ultimately it's going to come down to what you get the best performance out of!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

i am no expert but the general advise seems to be heavier shaft as you work through the set.   I actually have a lighter and more flexible (in theory)  shaft in my 3 wood and hit it pretty well.  When I went to Club Champion for a full bag fitting the advice was to keep the 3 wood.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You’ll find that most fairway shafts are heavier for one reason, gross weight. Not obscenely heavy, just enough to help you feel the weight of the club throughout your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Actually this seems like common sense to me - the heavier shaft is necessary because of the shorter shaft and lighter clubhead. It makes the end of the club feel the same weight relatively speaking.

Interestingly I often have a driver shaft that’s the same weight as my fairway woods to help kill spin on the driver. But that’s intentional.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 4:48 AM, revkev said:

Actually this seems like common sense to me - the heavier shaft is necessary because of the shorter shaft and lighter clubhead. It makes the end of the club feel the same weight relatively speaking.

Interestingly I often have a driver shaft that’s the same weight as my fairway woods to help kill spin on the driver. But that’s intentional.

When you say shorter shaft/lighter clubhead are you referring to woods? If you are then it's the other way around, shorter shaft heavier clubhead, a 3wd head is heavier than a driver head and a hybrid head is heavier than a 3wd head.

With shaft technology today it’s not as important as it used to be. Ive played the same shaft in both at two different times since 2016 and both times it was a 59g shaft. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 months later...

Years ago when I played 80g shafts in my drivers, I use the same exact shaft in my FWs. Now that I use 70 & sometimes 65g driver shafts, I use a heavier shaft in my FWs. I've always liked all my clubs to have a good heft to them. I'm 57 and solid built.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app