TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA Championship

Shankster
Message added by STUDque

For those wanting to review their picks for #SpyStaffSlam, head on over to the tracking Sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RRiDBlLOeOQpB9jIKbyNsXvDbfW6qzXq-5l7Q-9izhw/edit?usp=sharing

I like tournaments where someone has a lead and it may not be "safe".... that there's a chance someone in the field can get hot and shoot a sizzling score.  That wasn't possible at BP black; once BK got enough distance between him and 2nd place the ONLY thing that would matter would be the weather and, unfortunately, that only came into play on the back 9 when he strung together some bogies and he looked a little rattled.  You knew nobody was going to make up ground on the leader...not there.

I'm sure everyone remembers how BK just bombed the heck out of poor Erin Hills and made a joke out of it.  Not quite the same level at BP but close.

Whatever happened to target golf?  He could have played with 10 clubs and still won.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

You knew nobody was going to make up ground on the leader...not there.

I agree it would have been nice if the place had been conducive to a 62 or 63 so someone could have pushed the issue, but the setup and weather really weren't allowing it.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

It seems we complain about the tour stops on normal weeks and how they need to narrow the fairway and grow the rough which was pretty much the setup at BP. I'm guessing the players have stats that suggest they are better off taking their chances with a 9 or PW out of the thick rough than a 5, 6, or 7 from the fairway if they lay up.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Merion was outstanding as was Pinehurst #2.  Oak Hill has always been a fair test and never favored length.  Length was neutralized because it took driver out of the biggest hitters hands.  The guys from The Fried Egg and Golf Club Atlas have convinced me, It isn't necessarily tightening the fairways and growing the rough.  It's the exact opposite!  Create width off the tee and bring back proper angles to pin locations.  Angles have become irrelevant because players don't fear being on the wrong side of the hole.  If a hole is 20 paces wide, the whole field is on the wrong side of the hole.  There's no advantage to being accurate and playing to a specific target.

Listen to The Fried Egg Episode #127 with Ran Morissett or any of the episodes with Geoff Ogilvy.  Ogilvy's perspective on what equates to the best and most fair set-ups is phenomenal.  https://thefriedegg.com/category/fried-egg-podcast/

That's what links golf gets right and why the Open is usually a much better test for the entire field.

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

It seems we complain about the tour stops on normal weeks and how they need to narrow the fairway and grow the rough which was pretty much the setup at BP. I'm guessing the players have stats that suggest they are better off taking their chances with a 9 or PW out of the thick rough than a 5, 6, or 7 from the fairway if they lay up.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what feasible options there are to change this new drive-pitch-putt format.  I think really thick and tall rough is most feasible; and it definitely affected BK on that back 9 when he did not find the fairway.  Not to the point we'd see him or the other long ball artists pulling long irons out, they just hack out with an 9i or PW back to the fairway and then wedge on like normal, but it is often a 1/2 to 1 stroke loss.  

Creating new, longer tee locations gets talked about, but that starts to really penalize the Speith's ZJ's, etc. that simply don't have the length.  Plus, most courses don't have the room.  BK, Rory, DJ, and the other big hitters simply have an advantage - and part of me says hey, if you can hit 320 yard drives and have accuracy to boot, more power to ya.  The rest of the field better find another part of the game they can excel at.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I like tournaments where someone has a lead and it may not be "safe".... that there's a chance someone in the field can get hot and shoot a sizzling score.  That wasn't possible at BP black; once BK got enough distance between him and 2nd place the ONLY thing that would matter would be the weather and, unfortunately, that only came into play on the back 9 when he strung together some bogies and he looked a little rattled.  You knew nobody was going to make up ground on the leader...not there.

I'm sure everyone remembers how BK just bombed the heck out of poor Erin Hills and made a joke out of it.  Not quite the same level at BP but close.

Whatever happened to target golf?  He could have played with 10 clubs and still won.

NO one has ever lost a 54 hole lead on the PGA tour in ANY event of 7 shots or more. It doesn't matter which course 7 shots has proven insurmountable. 

BK started the final round at Erin Hills T2, 1 behind the leader Brian Harman, who by tour standards is a short driver.  Not sure what the joke was. 

BK played the best round on day 1 and had the second best score on day 2 and more than half the field beat him on Sunday.

Call it whatever you want, he just outplayed everyone in the field.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

That they do. It's called Strokes Gained. Balance of power is massively skewed towards off the tee play with distance being the main factor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

The last 45 minutes of the "No Laying Up" PGA Championship Recap is a "must-listen!"  They absolutely lambaste the CBS broadcast, the blimp tracker and the behavior of the fans.  The PGA Tour wants to grow the game but growing the game by putting 25,000 fans in a big field and over-serving them alcohol for 8 hours isn't how the game needs to grow.

I kinda liked the blimp tracker personally.

The last 45 minutes of the "No Laying Up" PGA Championship Recap is a "must-listen!"  They absolutely lambaste the CBS broadcast, the blimp tracker and the behavior of the fans.  The PGA Tour wants to grow the game but growing the game by putting 25,000 fans in a big field and over-serving them alcohol for 8 hours isn't how the game needs to grow.

15 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I kinda liked the blimp tracker personally.

So, you're the one?  Just kidding!  😉

It was terribly inaccurate.  So much so, it was comical.  The line would show the ball right of the crowd only to have the ball land in the middle of the fairway.  Plus, it took up almost the whole screen, taking away from something CBS already struggles with, showing live golf shots. 

I thought it was just more nonsense from non-golfers in charge of producing golf content.  CBS claims they can't afford the kind of things the Masters app produces yet, they can afford this garbage.  But that's just my opinion. 

Lol, to be fair, it was the first time they rolled it out. I imagine it'll get better as time goes on. Standard top tracer is always up for a misread from time to time as well. I just found it gave a better indication of the line the players were taking off tees.

So, you're the one?  Just kidding!  
It was terribly inaccurate.  So much so, it was comical.  The line would show the ball right of the crowd only to have the ball land in the middle of the fairway.  Plus, it took up almost the whole screen, taking away from something CBS already struggles with, showing live golf shots. 
I thought it was just more nonsense from non-golfers in charge of producing golf content.  CBS claims they can't afford the kind of things the Masters app produces yet, they can afford this garbage.  But that's just my opinion.