Shankster

PGA Championship

GolfSpy STUDque

For those wanting to review their picks for #SpyStaffSlam, head on over to the tracking Sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RRiDBlLOeOQpB9jIKbyNsXvDbfW6qzXq-5l7Q-9izhw/edit?usp=sharing

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Um, my live feed quit? Anyone else? PGA Tour Live has its issues, but at least the streams have stayed up.

Just now, GolfSpy MPR said:

It shouldn't, but this "Koepka only turns it on for majors" thing annoys me. I don't mind dominance in sports; I tend to root for Goliath. But in Tiger's prime, he wanted to win everything, all the time. The perception (whether true or not) that Koepka coasts through ordinary events, as though they are beneath his effort, isn't winning me over.

Koepka thinks majors are easier to win.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/brooks-koepka-dismisses-half-pga-championship-field-explains-why-majors-are-easiest-win

EDIT: If you don't want to read the whole thing this sums it up.

“There’s 156 [players] in the field, so you figure at least 80 of them I’m just going to beat,” Koepka said. “You figure about half of them won’t play well from there, so you’re down to about maybe 35. And then from 35, some of them just – pressure is going to get to them. It only leaves you with a few more, and you’ve just got to beat those guys.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It shouldn't, but this "Koepka only turns it on for majors" thing annoys me. I don't mind dominance in sports; I tend to root for Goliath. But in Tiger's prime, he wanted to win everything, all the time. The perception (whether true or not) that Koepka coasts through ordinary events, as though they are beneath his effort, isn't winning me over.

This is a head-scratcher.... I don't know how to explain it...
http://www.espn.com/golf/player/results/_/id/6798/year/2018

He MC on 2 of the easier courses...

image.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Koepka thinks majors are easier to win.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/brooks-koepka-dismisses-half-pga-championship-field-explains-why-majors-are-easiest-win

EDIT: If you don't want to read the whole thing this sums it up.

“There’s 156 [players] in the field, so you figure at least 80 of them I’m just going to beat,” Koepka said. “You figure about half of them won’t play well from there, so you’re down to about maybe 35. And then from 35, some of them just – pressure is going to get to them. It only leaves you with a few more, and you’ve just got to beat those guys.”

I love his honesty.  He believes it and isn't afraid to say it and he isn't wrong in what he's saying.

App quit for me too. Must be a UP thing.

• Like 1

App and live stream from PGA.com have been extremely buggy this morning.  Wish they would have talked to the Masters folks and bought their app technology.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

This is a head-scratcher.... I don't know how to explain it...
http://www.espn.com/golf/player/results/_/id/6798/year/2018

He MC on 2 of the easier courses...

image.png

It makes perfect sense to me but I'm a little warped!  He isn't engaged when playing tournaments where -24 is the winning score.  In tournaments where par is a quality score, he is more engaged and knows he doesn't have to birdie every other hole to compete.  It frees him up to play his game if that makes sense.

Koepka reminds me a bit of Raymond Floyd.  Indifferent at times during birdie-fest tournaments but always showed up on the toughest tracks.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Um, my live feed quit? Anyone else? PGA Tour Live has its issues, but at least the streams have stayed up.

How am I possibly supposed to not work and watch golf out of the corner of my eye with the stream behaving so poorly...?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yes the live feed went off line.  first the website was really messing up, constantly cutting out, the app was working fine, now the app says offline too but PGA and pga championship's social media says nothing is wrong, not eluding to working on technical difficulties, etc.  I lit them up on twitter about it, WTF, why is it the us open, masters and british open all worked fine but hey lets try something new this year and not test whatever we're putting into place.  last year it worked fine.  now they're really ruining my da here.

• Like 1

Presented by Omega!  I'm never ever ever getting a god damn watch of theirs if I can ever afford a watch costing thousands it won't be them, because you can expect it to quit at the absolute worst times!  hahaha.

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

So far, scores are lower than I thought they'd be - I almost went back and changed the #spystaffthing winning score to something higher. I'm glad I didn't (not that I will be in the running by sometime this afternoon).

Luke List

• Like 1

Checking out the NCAA Regional scores while watching the PGA during lunch.  Colorado State shot a team -21 under par during the 54 hole stroke play regional and DID NOT advance into the Finals.  Wow!

Tiger needs to read my thoughts on chipping...

Koepka’s score just looked at Tiger and said, “Wassup?!” Dang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

That score by Brooks was just amazing. No idea how good that round was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Crazy thing is BK missed a few opportunities as well.  Insane opening round.

• Like 3

Koepka just went all "mic drop" on Brandel.  Nobody can honestly say they saw a 63 out there this week and be believable.  What a round of golf by BK!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Finau looks like Jester out there, just missing the pants

Edited by M. Parsons
  • Like 1

It's crazy how well Koepka plays in majors. It's like he only turns it in when he's defending a title. I know that's not the case because he's a competitive guy by nature, but how does this guy not just win every tournament major or non-major?

It's nice to see someone who is competitive and not trying to be homies with the rest of the tour guys though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I’m always going for Rory, Brooks or Rickie.

Watching PGAC TV feed today and I had forgotten how gorgeous Bethpage is! I love that place to watch and to play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2