TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why Iron Spin Numbers so low??

Greetings, all the other numbers look good but spin seems really low. Any thoughts?
1 handicap, PXG 0311T irons,  standard setup, KBS Tour 105 stiff shaft, hitting off indoor mat.
Mahalo!
Trackman.jpg.783cfaba76e3d702c7cf231f0985a4fc.jpg

Ball?

Assuming you are hitting new clubs. What were the spin numbers on your previous clubs? Or what makes you think that number is too low other than showing us what trackman considers ideal.

Do you have issues stopping the ball on the green? Descent angle can help compensate for spin.

I seem to find that more modern clubs spin less to achieve more distance.

Based on your handicap, you hit the ball well. My advice don’t chase numbers on a launch monitor; use them for understanding.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hi @7underpar!

Yes that is low spin for a 7 iron. However, how much more spin are you looking for? Or what do you want the shot to do when it lands on the green? If you're getting a one hop stop or even a little backwards roll action, and you like that, this probably isn't anything to worry too much about.

I'm reminded of an anecdote from Penick's red book. Someone was pestering a pro about backspin, and the pro asked him if his approach shots landed short or past the pin. The golfer replied he played short of the pin. Pro replied "Then what the heck are you so worried about backspin for?"

Just another point to consider. Hope this is helpful.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My 6 iron spins less than that and I have no issues stopping any club on the green. When I switched from MP-64 to P790's I lost about 1000 rpms of spin on each club. I was worried about it initially but on the course performance is the same. Seems like with the new technology spin continues to go down in order to achieve more distance. If your descent angle is good you should see no difference on the course. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

44 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

My 6 iron spins less than that and I have no issues stopping any club on the green. When I switched from MP-64 to P790's I lost about 1000 rpms of spin on each club. I was worried about it initially but on the course performance is the same. Seems like with the new technology spin continues to go down in order to achieve more distance. If your descent angle is good you should see no difference on the course. 

Somewhat true. It’s not necessarily for more distance but to achieve the right launch conditions for the loft of the club. 

The old rule of iron # x 1000 for spin inst as valid these days especially as the club type gets into the gi range. Even some blades and cb heads don’t achieve the x1000 anymore with a spinny ball

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd say your biggest thing is hitting off a mat instead of turf.  Hitting off mats will generally produce significantly less spin than off turf, but higher launch angles.  It's been several years, but I remember TrackMan posted to their blog about some differences they had noticed.  Of course, the ball can play a big factor in spin numbers too, but I'd lean towards the fact you were hitting off an indoor mat being your biggest contributor.

TrackMan blog

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX