GolfSpy MPR

Faithful to one putter, or a rotation?

I like putters. On the scale of putter collectors, I have enough to make normal people convinced that I'm insane, while serious collectors would scoff at the paucity of my stash.

I just pulled the trigger on an Odyssey EXO Indianapolis S. It joins the rotation with:

• Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer
  • Evnroll ER6 Black
  • Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • MLA Pro Xdream
  • TaylorMade Spider Tour Platinum
  • Cleveland Satin 2135 Elevado

There are also another handful of putters in my basement that I've bought over the years that are less suited to my stroke, but I haven't yet gotten rid of.

Right now, the Tour Stroke Trainer has been my go to putter through the winter practice, and it will start the season in my bag. But I like the rest of the putters in that list, for a variety of reasons (the soft Cleveland face is my favorite feel of any putter I've ever used).

Anyone else here have a rotation of putters that you use on the course? Anyone have stories of your putting getting measurably better when you committed to a single flatstick?

• Like 2

I guess I would be considered faithful - I have owned 3 putters in 28 years.

Ping Zing 2 (gift when I graduated college)
STX Sync Tour (bought off eBay around 2000)
Ping Scottsdale TR Senita (bought at Golf Galaxy around 2014)

I hope to be receiving a shipping notice for a new Stroke Lab very, very soon.

Last year I occasionally put the STX in the bag when I felt like I was in a funk, just to mix it up.

One thing this place has done to me is it has awakened my inner club ho'. Unfortunately, with 1 kid in college and one starting in 3 months, there is not a ton of discretionary funds just laying around for me to throw at clubs, but once they are done, it's on...

• Like 5

The flagstick is my favorite club in the bag and I love the craftsmanship and beauty of these clubs. The putting green is always my first stop when I go to a golf shop and my favorite test during most wanted testing season. I used to be a putter junkie and had many in my collection and rotation. After taking some lessons I scaled back to a single putter that fit my stroke and saw improvement. I am still willing to put a new putter in the bag, but it is based on my stroke or a change I will need to make to fit my stroke to the putter. The Evnroll putter in my bag did not support my old style of left side dominant so I am now putting right side dominant to eliminate the left miss.

• Like 3

Yeah I think I side with Max on this one. I played a Carbite Polar balanced mallet (remember those?) putter for probably a good 20 years. A few years back I switched to the Cleveland HB #3 for a season but realized it didn't fit my stroke so sold it. I then switched to a HB #11 with a Superstroke Flatso 3.0 and that's a wrap. I'll play this until the head falls off.  

• Like 5

I just purchased an Evnroll ER5 to try and overthrow my trusty PING Anser 2 from 1999.  I’ve dabbled with several putters over the years to battle slumps but seemed to always return back to my old faithful.  The putter I had most luck with that wasn’t a mainstay was a DFX 2-ball that I used to pass my PAT.  Besides that, I am hoping the ER5 can keep me consistent enough for the time being.  

I’d like to hear @Jmikecpa and his thoughts on this topic 🙂

• Like 5

I plan on going further in depth on this with my upcoming Stage 1 in my Stroke Lab review, but here's the history

Dunlop Hexcert #9 style bought in maybe 2002

TM Nubbins M2 bought in 2004 (traded, no longer in possession)

Nickent Pipe bought in 2006

Stroke Lab test 2019

That's it. That's the kit and indeed, also the caboodle.

Edit: Hey 1,000 posts, nifty.

• Like 7

Only one love for this guy.

The more I tinker the crappier I get at the game.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Only one love for this guy.

The more I tinker the crappier I get at the game.

How much offset on your putter?
  • Like 1

Anser TR 1966

Anser TR 1966

Too much offset, you need a putter with no offset just like with irons.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Anyone else here have a rotation of putters that you use on the course? Anyone have stories of your putting getting measurably better when you committed to a single flatstick?

Was just musing over this very topic this morning as I practiced a bit with the current gamer, ER5.

Past couple of seasons I'd tested, experimented with and rotated amongst...
1. a longer-tenured Odyssey #1W
2. Machine 2A Converter widebody
3. MLA Tour XDream 
4. Cleveland (something mallet) long handle (i.e. split grip) with the TFI face (which I also liked very much!)

These are all good putters, but for each I wasn't feeling it was helping me with _both_ distance control on long putts plus starting line accuracy. 

Reading all the good stuff about EvnRoll on MGS, I decided to go into a PGATSS to roll a few to get a feel for them. Now, no - just me rolling a few balls a few feet indoors with a few different putters picked off the shelf does not qualify as a rigorous test. But regardless I took a liking to the shorter, heavier head ER5 and kept in mind. Then when I saw a refurb model on sale online over the Winter, I jumped on it. 

This season I've decided to both work much more diligently on improving my putting AND on committing to sticking with one putter, the ER5, which seems to give me the best combo of feel for distance control plus starting line accuracy. 

Is it the "best" putter for me, ie. would a proper putting fitting suggest an entirely different make/model that may help me putt even better? 

Maybe not. Who knows?

For now, what's working for me, is not worrying about that and instead sticking with just one putter but especially committing to making myself a better putter.

• Like 4

Too much offset, you need a putter with no offset just like with irons.

Probably wouldn’t hurt. I hate putting so it wouldn’t make much difference to me
  • Like 2

I have played the odyssey #7 for 4 years now and only once had a slight inclination to go with another putter. (Had my eyes on the 2 ball) Actually will be testing the Tommy Armour #3 so this will be an interesting change for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I've only had 5 putters in 27 years of playing.  Still have them.  One of those was a Nike Method Converge putter I tested for MGS.  It is now in my wife's bag.  My current putter is the Ping Sigma G Doon that I was fitted for at Ping HQ.  They don't make it anymore, and you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Oops!  I forgot one.  I bought a used STX Sync in the LH flavor for $10.  For the first 15 years I played, I was a lousy putter right handed, so I thought for $10 why not give it a try.  Well, I did putt better LH but only from 8 feet and in.  On long putts I couldn't have gotten close to the hole if it was 5 feet in diameter!!

• Like 3

Usually switched between an old Ping Anser with the soundslot and an even older Acushnet Bullseye.  Decided to try some newer technology and bought a very lightly used Ping Sigma G Tyne H for $50.  I've committed to staying with it through the season.

• Like 2

I've used two putters in the 7 years I've been taking the game seriously. My first putter that my dad gave me was an Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 that I used until I bought my Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1 three years ago. I think I'm more loyal to a mallet putter than anything.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

I have three that I rotate between but it's usually the Cleveland or an older White Hot Rossie in the bag. One is a milled face, and the other is an insert. Both 34" long and plumber neck. It's mostly the head weighting and feel that's the difference between the two.

I've only bought one putter, back in 2007, and it's still in the bag. But, the pull of an Evnroll ER 3 is very, very strong.

• Like 2

I've never understood rotating around with different putters. Apparently some guys do I guess. I'd reckon that over the past 20-30 years I've only used 3. A Ping Zing, Odyssey Wht. #9, and the current Edel Willamette. The Zing went stone cold on me after using it for 20 years. Go figure. Never looked at it or used it again. Then I went with the Odyssey for a few years until I talked myself into buying a custom fit and built Edel. The Edel is a good putter but no better than any of the rest. What works for me is having a putter that looks good to my eye, feels good, I'm confident with, and one which I can produce repeatable and reliable results. Bingo. It says in the bag. Why mess up a good thing?

• Like 4

I played whatever I could find during the 4 rounds-per-year days. When I got to play fairly regularly, I bought a bag that included a Guerin Rife 2-Bar mallet. Been gaming it ever since. I've wondered about upgrading to some newer technology but I still think I probably should just stick with that and actually practice. Everything in the bag seems to rotate except the putter.

In the immortal words of Johnny Horton:

"I'll never love another even if I can
Well, come to me baby, I'm a one-woman man."

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3