TESTERS WANTED! ×

Faithful to one putter, or a rotation?

GolfSpy MPR

I like putters. On the scale of putter collectors, I have enough to make normal people convinced that I'm insane, while serious collectors would scoff at the paucity of my stash.

I just pulled the trigger on an Odyssey EXO Indianapolis S. It joins the rotation with:

• Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer
  • Evnroll ER6 Black
  • Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • MLA Pro Xdream
  • TaylorMade Spider Tour Platinum
  • Cleveland Satin 2135 Elevado

There are also another handful of putters in my basement that I've bought over the years that are less suited to my stroke, but I haven't yet gotten rid of.

Right now, the Tour Stroke Trainer has been my go to putter through the winter practice, and it will start the season in my bag. But I like the rest of the putters in that list, for a variety of reasons (the soft Cleveland face is my favorite feel of any putter I've ever used).

Anyone else here have a rotation of putters that you use on the course? Anyone have stories of your putting getting measurably better when you committed to a single flatstick?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I guess I would be considered faithful - I have owned 3 putters in 28 years.

Ping Zing 2 (gift when I graduated college)
STX Sync Tour (bought off eBay around 2000)
Ping Scottsdale TR Senita (bought at Golf Galaxy around 2014)

I hope to be receiving a shipping notice for a new Stroke Lab very, very soon.

Last year I occasionally put the STX in the bag when I felt like I was in a funk, just to mix it up.

One thing this place has done to me is it has awakened my inner club ho'. Unfortunately, with 1 kid in college and one starting in 3 months, there is not a ton of discretionary funds just laying around for me to throw at clubs, but once they are done, it's on...

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

The flagstick is my favorite club in the bag and I love the craftsmanship and beauty of these clubs. The putting green is always my first stop when I go to a golf shop and my favorite test during most wanted testing season. I used to be a putter junkie and had many in my collection and rotation. After taking some lessons I scaled back to a single putter that fit my stroke and saw improvement. I am still willing to put a new putter in the bag, but it is based on my stroke or a change I will need to make to fit my stroke to the putter. The Evnroll putter in my bag did not support my old style of left side dominant so I am now putting right side dominant to eliminate the left miss.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yeah I think I side with Max on this one. I played a Carbite Polar balanced mallet (remember those?) putter for probably a good 20 years. A few years back I switched to the Cleveland HB #3 for a season but realized it didn't fit my stroke so sold it. I then switched to a HB #11 with a Superstroke Flatso 3.0 and that's a wrap. I'll play this until the head falls off.  

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I just purchased an Evnroll ER5 to try and overthrow my trusty PING Anser 2 from 1999.  I’ve dabbled with several putters over the years to battle slumps but seemed to always return back to my old faithful.  The putter I had most luck with that wasn’t a mainstay was a DFX 2-ball that I used to pass my PAT.  Besides that, I am hoping the ER5 can keep me consistent enough for the time being.  

I’d like to hear @Jmikecpa and his thoughts on this topic 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I plan on going further in depth on this with my upcoming Stage 1 in my Stroke Lab review, but here's the history

Dunlop Hexcert #9 style bought in maybe 2002

TM Nubbins M2 bought in 2004 (traded, no longer in possession)

Nickent Pipe bought in 2006

Stroke Lab test 2019

That's it. That's the kit and indeed, also the caboodle.

Edit: Hey 1,000 posts, nifty.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Only one love for this guy.

The more I tinker the crappier I get at the game.

How much offset on your putter?

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Anser TR 1966

Too much offset, you need a putter with no offset just like with irons.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Anyone else here have a rotation of putters that you use on the course? Anyone have stories of your putting getting measurably better when you committed to a single flatstick?

Was just musing over this very topic this morning as I practiced a bit with the current gamer, ER5.

Past couple of seasons I'd tested, experimented with and rotated amongst...
1. a longer-tenured Odyssey #1W
2. Machine 2A Converter widebody
3. MLA Tour XDream 
4. Cleveland (something mallet) long handle (i.e. split grip) with the TFI face (which I also liked very much!)

These are all good putters, but for each I wasn't feeling it was helping me with _both_ distance control on long putts plus starting line accuracy. 

Reading all the good stuff about EvnRoll on MGS, I decided to go into a PGATSS to roll a few to get a feel for them. Now, no - just me rolling a few balls a few feet indoors with a few different putters picked off the shelf does not qualify as a rigorous test. But regardless I took a liking to the shorter, heavier head ER5 and kept in mind. Then when I saw a refurb model on sale online over the Winter, I jumped on it. 

This season I've decided to both work much more diligently on improving my putting AND on committing to sticking with one putter, the ER5, which seems to give me the best combo of feel for distance control plus starting line accuracy. 

Is it the "best" putter for me, ie. would a proper putting fitting suggest an entirely different make/model that may help me putt even better? 

Maybe not. Who knows?

For now, what's working for me, is not worrying about that and instead sticking with just one putter but especially committing to making myself a better putter.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I've only had 5 putters in 27 years of playing.  Still have them.  One of those was a Nike Method Converge putter I tested for MGS.  It is now in my wife's bag.  My current putter is the Ping Sigma G Doon that I was fitted for at Ping HQ.  They don't make it anymore, and you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Oops!  I forgot one.  I bought a used STX Sync in the LH flavor for $10.  For the first 15 years I played, I was a lousy putter right handed, so I thought for $10 why not give it a try.  Well, I did putt better LH but only from 8 feet and in.  On long putts I couldn't have gotten close to the hole if it was 5 feet in diameter!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've used two putters in the 7 years I've been taking the game seriously. My first putter that my dad gave me was an Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 that I used until I bought my Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1 three years ago. I think I'm more loyal to a mallet putter than anything.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

I have three that I rotate between but it's usually the Cleveland or an older White Hot Rossie in the bag. One is a milled face, and the other is an insert. Both 34" long and plumber neck. It's mostly the head weighting and feel that's the difference between the two.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've only bought one putter, back in 2007, and it's still in the bag. But, the pull of an Evnroll ER 3 is very, very strong.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've never understood rotating around with different putters. Apparently some guys do I guess. I'd reckon that over the past 20-30 years I've only used 3. A Ping Zing, Odyssey Wht. #9, and the current Edel Willamette. The Zing went stone cold on me after using it for 20 years. Go figure. Never looked at it or used it again. Then I went with the Odyssey for a few years until I talked myself into buying a custom fit and built Edel. The Edel is a good putter but no better than any of the rest. What works for me is having a putter that looks good to my eye, feels good, I'm confident with, and one which I can produce repeatable and reliable results. Bingo. It says in the bag. Why mess up a good thing?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I played whatever I could find during the 4 rounds-per-year days. When I got to play fairly regularly, I bought a bag that included a Guerin Rife 2-Bar mallet. Been gaming it ever since. I've wondered about upgrading to some newer technology but I still think I probably should just stick with that and actually practice. Everything in the bag seems to rotate except the putter.

In the immortal words of Johnny Horton:

"I'll never love another even if I can
Well, come to me baby, I'm a one-woman man."

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

... Out of all the clubs in our bag, I think most of us know the putter is much more mental than physical. I have always used a heel shafted blade starting with the Wilson 8802 I used forever, then ventured into some other heel shafted putters with inserts or perimeter weighting. Once I found the Bobby Grace 6330 with a roll insert technology and a little heel and toe weighting in the sole, I haven't switched again. Every now and then I experiment with a toe hang putter like a Cameron Newport 2.5 but it is always short lived and the 6330 goes back in the bag very quickly. 

2127294739_BGhead.jpg.b7849ebf8b772fc489c41eb06f173f86.jpg

1909021755_BGsole.jpg.beefaeca8bfc3a34064fcf71e31841c7.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Out of all the clubs in our bag, I think most of us know the putter is much more mental than physical. I have always used a heel shafted blade starting with the Wilson 8802 I used forever, then ventured into some other heel shafted putters with inserts or perimeter weighting. Once I found the Bobby Grace 6330 with a roll insert technology and a little heel and toe weighting in the sole, I haven't switched again. Every now and then I experiment with a toe hang putter like a Cameron Newport 2.5 but it is always short lived and the 6330 goes back in the bag very quickly. 

2127294739_BGhead.jpg.b7849ebf8b772fc489c41eb06f173f86.jpg
1909021755_BGsole.jpg.beefaeca8bfc3a34064fcf71e31841c7.jpg
Couldn't agree more about a putter having the most mental impact of all the clubs. If it doesn't look and feel right, you probably won't make a good stroke.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

I'm one that tends to change putters more often than most.  But, the type putter has always been similar.  For years, my go to putter was a Scotty Cameron Midslant Newport (1999) but I'd rotate it with an Odyssey or Nike Method that had the same toe hang and gooseneck.  Then I started leaning toward the Taylor Made Spider (toe hang model) and recently purchased an Odyssey ShaftLab 7s, which has almost identical specs other than the shaft....only had that a couple of weeks when I started working with the Bettinardi armlock putter for evaluation.  Time will tell where I go from here.  While I like the Betti, I was really liking the Shaftlab putter before abandoning it for testing.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 5/10/2019 at 10:19 AM, Shankster said:

Only one love for this guy.

The more I tinker the crappier I get at the game.

Same here.  I haven't mastered the one I have.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I kept my Betty in play for over a year so it was a permanent fixture. Then I decided to go more face balanced so in came the Odyssey putter which works well however I benched it on a whim to try another face balanced putter.  The Tommy Armour #3 is no joke and I'm becoming increasingly comfortable with this putter.  It's not the prettiest pup in the litter however it's bark is ample enough. It sits nice and snug  with a flat to the ground feel behind the ball.  Simply put the dauuuummmmm thing works!  It just might make a long term residence in the OG bag of fame 😉

Tommy Armour Impact Series No. 3 
Odyssey O-Works Versa 2-Ball Putter
Bettinardi Queen B #9

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've never really had a rotation per se, but I've always switched putters pretty frequently. However, now that I'm putting armlock I don't plan on changing, and the tinkerer in me is limited due to the number of armlock putters on the market. So yeah, I've been a rotator, but I think I've finally settled down into a comfortable relationship. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Trying to be faithful to the arm lock but there is a lot out there that is tempting. Because exactly what I need is another putter or four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I don’t like to mess with putters very often.  My first putter was a Ping Anser slot.  Later went to a used Mizuno Carbon Black mid mallet and an Evntoll ER6 last year after a putting fitting.  I find I pull some putts with the ER6 which had not been a problem before.

Have tried over the years an Odyssey White Hot I got for free, a heavily discounted Odyssey I can’t remember the model and a Scotty Cameron anser type with the much wider sole.  All 3 rolled the ball well but I had problems with distance control.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Tommy Armour #3 while in the US.  Rolled true right from the first attempt.  Been playing around with it on my Birdie Ball putting green, still rolls true and figuring out distance with putts up to 13’.  Puts are hotter off the face than the ER6.  This weekend I will try some putts up to 40’ on the outdoor putting green and if distance is good I will bag it for the season.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

One putter, I can't do the switch. Even if I mess around with someone elses putter on the practice green I feel like it messes me up for the roung

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I'm a one putter man.  I'll hoe out on drivers, because I'm always chasing for better.  My irons and putter have one job though, get me close to the hole and then in it.  I'm comfortable with my setup and am rolling the ball better now than I ever have, so no need to chase anything there.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX