Faithful to one putter, or a rotation?

GolfSpy MPR

... Out of all the clubs in our bag, I think most of us know the putter is much more mental than physical. I have always used a heel shafted blade starting with the Wilson 8802 I used forever, then ventured into some other heel shafted putters with inserts or perimeter weighting. Once I found the Bobby Grace 6330 with a roll insert technology and a little heel and toe weighting in the sole, I haven't switched again. Every now and then I experiment with a toe hang putter like a Cameron Newport 2.5 but it is always short lived and the 6330 goes back in the bag very quickly. 

2127294739_BGhead.jpg.b7849ebf8b772fc489c41eb06f173f86.jpg

1909021755_BGsole.jpg.beefaeca8bfc3a34064fcf71e31841c7.jpg

• Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

... Out of all the clubs in our bag, I think most of us know the putter is much more mental than physical. I have always used a heel shafted blade starting with the Wilson 8802 I used forever, then ventured into some other heel shafted putters with inserts or perimeter weighting. Once I found the Bobby Grace 6330 with a roll insert technology and a little heel and toe weighting in the sole, I haven't switched again. Every now and then I experiment with a toe hang putter like a Cameron Newport 2.5 but it is always short lived and the 6330 goes back in the bag very quickly. 

2127294739_BGhead.jpg.b7849ebf8b772fc489c41eb06f173f86.jpg
1909021755_BGsole.jpg.beefaeca8bfc3a34064fcf71e31841c7.jpg
Couldn't agree more about a putter having the most mental impact of all the clubs. If it doesn't look and feel right, you probably won't make a good stroke.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

I'm one that tends to change putters more often than most.  But, the type putter has always been similar.  For years, my go to putter was a Scotty Cameron Midslant Newport (1999) but I'd rotate it with an Odyssey or Nike Method that had the same toe hang and gooseneck.  Then I started leaning toward the Taylor Made Spider (toe hang model) and recently purchased an Odyssey ShaftLab 7s, which has almost identical specs other than the shaft....only had that a couple of weeks when I started working with the Bettinardi armlock putter for evaluation.  Time will tell where I go from here.  While I like the Betti, I was really liking the Shaftlab putter before abandoning it for testing.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 5/10/2019 at 10:19 AM, Shankster said:

Only one love for this guy.

The more I tinker the crappier I get at the game.

Same here.  I haven't mastered the one I have.  

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

I kept my Betty in play for over a year so it was a permanent fixture. Then I decided to go more face balanced so in came the Odyssey putter which works well however I benched it on a whim to try another face balanced putter.  The Tommy Armour #3 is no joke and I'm becoming increasingly comfortable with this putter.  It's not the prettiest pup in the litter however it's bark is ample enough. It sits nice and snug  with a flat to the ground feel behind the ball.  Simply put the dauuuummmmm thing works!  It just might make a long term residence in the OG bag of fame 😉

Tommy Armour Impact Series No. 3 
Odyssey O-Works Versa 2-Ball Putter
Bettinardi Queen B #9

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

I've never really had a rotation per se, but I've always switched putters pretty frequently. However, now that I'm putting armlock I don't plan on changing, and the tinkerer in me is limited due to the number of armlock putters on the market. So yeah, I've been a rotator, but I think I've finally settled down into a comfortable relationship. 

• Like 4

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Trying to be faithful to the arm lock but there is a lot out there that is tempting. Because exactly what I need is another putter or four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 15* AD TP 7x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 18* AD MT 7x

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

I don’t like to mess with putters very often.  My first putter was a Ping Anser slot.  Later went to a used Mizuno Carbon Black mid mallet and an Evntoll ER6 last year after a putting fitting.  I find I pull some putts with the ER6 which had not been a problem before.

Have tried over the years an Odyssey White Hot I got for free, a heavily discounted Odyssey I can’t remember the model and a Scotty Cameron anser type with the much wider sole.  All 3 rolled the ball well but I had problems with distance control.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Tommy Armour #3 while in the US.  Rolled true right from the first attempt.  Been playing around with it on my Birdie Ball putting green, still rolls true and figuring out distance with putts up to 13’.  Puts are hotter off the face than the ER6.  This weekend I will try some putts up to 40’ on the outdoor putting green and if distance is good I will bag it for the season.

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

One putter, I can't do the switch. Even if I mess around with someone elses putter on the practice green I feel like it messes me up for the roung

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I'm a one putter man.  I'll hoe out on drivers, because I'm always chasing for better.  My irons and putter have one job though, get me close to the hole and then in it.  I'm comfortable with my setup and am rolling the ball better now than I ever have, so no need to chase anything there.

• TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5
  • Titleist 816 H2 20* - MCA Diamana S+ 90 X 
  • Srixon Z565 3i - PX 6.5
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM8 52F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X

I have had a SeeMore Brass Blade in my bag since 1999.  I have gotten to a point where the center-shafted option just isn't appealing anymore.  Coupled with the annoying "ting" the modern urethane ball makes off the brass face, I felt it was time for a change.  I bought a Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 last night.  I have been looking at it for a few months now.  The assistant at my club offered it to me at $60 off retail.  Not a huge savings but I could sell it right now for more than I paid for it.

It's the first putter I have bought since an Odyssey White Hot back in the early 00's.  I think I kept it 2 months before selling it.  Maybe I will keep the Cameron a little longer.  We shall see.

I would definitely say I'm faithful to my putter. I'd like to experiment with others, but only if I had the money to purchase them without having to sell my Scotty. I'm not a Scotty loyalist or die-hard fan of any kind, but I struggled with the way my previous putter (an Odyssey White Hot Pro #9) looked at a address. Some days I'd sit it down behind the ball and it would like just right and I could make a good stroke. Other days it felt like I didn't have it aligned correctly or that I wasn't presenting the right amount of loft - always something. I'm not sure why I had this problem, but the Scotty Futura 6m fixed this issue for me and I haven't had any reason to stop putting with it.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I have had 2 putters in 22 years. First was cheap putter bought for under $20 at Fred Meyer cause my starter set did not have one. then in about 2000 I built a Snake Eyes Viper SSI and have had it in the bag since. I also have a Ping B60 that was given to me as well as a Ping Anser, never gamed either one.. both are in great shape, the B60 I had polished and paint filled bright green for my wife but she didn't want to switch.. Oh well... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 5 weeks later...

Upgraded to a PING Vault 2.0 Anser last season. I don't see myself changing any time soon, it doesn't let me down when I put a good stroke on it! I have been looking at getting a Vault 2.0 ZB, just because I like the shape and I want to have one. not necessarily to replace my gamer. They're just so pretty!

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9° - Smoke Black 70 X 

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3wd 14° - Tensei Blue 60 S

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° - PX 105g 6.5

Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-P - KBS Tour 130X

Callaway MD4 56°- DG S200 

Callaway MD4 52° - DG S200

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

PING Vault 2.0 Anser(copper finish)

Volvik S4

I have about 7 putters, but I've exclusively used my Bettinardi C03 (left handed of course😁) for the 5+ years.  I sucked at putting with it so this year I've gone back to a Nike Oz putter I picked up a whole ago (stock image below) and my putting has gotten a lot better.  I really need to get a putter fitting done to figure out if it's my stroke or the equipment that's the issue.

nike-oz-putter.jpg.b5101b3c20902d1972a6fdd0cd0b8a29.jpg

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

I’ve only ever had one putter and it’s an original Ping PAL. That’s not to say that I haven’t thought about buying a mallet style before but the only other profile that has caught my attention is the Tommy Armor Impact #3.

I’ve played around with it a little bit at stores but it never seemed to look square to the ball for some reason. Really interested in other people’s perception of this and wondering if I’m the only one with this experience?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was a rotation guy. Different look with each of my 3 putters. Center shafted Seemore FGP original, Blade style YES! Tracy, and a Guerin Rife two bar hybrid mallet. That changed literally a half hour ago, as I traded in all of them on second swing.

A couple of weeks ago I had a putter fitting and the fitter recommended what I needed. He even told me he knew the putter that would be perfect for me, but it was a few cycles old, and he thought it would be hard to find because " lefty crank hosel mallets are very rare"

Ha!!! He didn't know who he was talking to, LOL. It took me about an hour to go home, search, and find it. The Odyssey you see in my signature now. Not sure if it's new club magic, or this guy is a putting savant, but this thing is lights out so far. 

:callaway-small:  Epic Max 9* Cypher

:callaway-small:  Epic Star 15* & 18* Bassara

:cleveland-small:  Launcher XL Halo 4-PW Cypher

:cleveland-small:  CBX2 50* 

:ping-small:  Glide 3.0 54* & 58*

:ping-small: Kushion 4 34”    :yes-small:  Tracy 33.5”

:1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5 LS 14 way Black stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

I have a rotation of putters but certainly have 3 I pull from the quiver more often.

I have a TM Corza Ghost
Nike Method Mod 003
Bobby Grace M2

The Corsa gets about 80% of the play - just seem to find the line better with it.

For me a quick switch can really help me get tempo back for some reason.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think putters must be the most personal preference club in the bag. Once you find one that really works, its hard to change it. I have had only two, the first being an older style PING Anser 2 blade.  I still have it and occasionally bring it out.  I actually won the clubs putting competition with it, so it holds a special place.  

The other, and currently in the bag, is an old Carbite Polar Balanced blade. I bought that for my son as his first putter and have kept it. It has a really nice weight to it.

So maybe that makes me a rotation player between the two!!

I think putters must be the most personal preference club in the bag. Once you find one that really works, its hard to change it. I have had only two, the first being an older style PING Anser 2 blade.  I still have it and occasionally bring it out.  I actually won the clubs putting competition with it, so it holds a special place.  

The other, and currently in the bag, is an old Carbite Polar Balanced blade. I bought that for my son as his first putter and have kept it. It has a really nice weight to it.

So maybe that makes me a rotation player between the two!!