GolfSpy MPR

Faithful to one putter, or a rotation?

I try to be faithful.  You cant be sure what a putt will do if you are swapping out putters all the time.

I own three: my father’s original Anser from the 70’s, which I’ve tried, but don’t use it, an Edel that I was fitted to, but just never had good speed control with it, and my SeeMore, which has a secure spot in my bag.
I normally sell what I don’t use, but I’m not selling my Dad’s putter, and the Edel is stamped with my kids’ initials on the bottom, so not gonna sell it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had so many putters over the years - from the Wilson 8802/8813 to the Zebra 38 Special (Ray Floyd model). Many Scotty's, more Ping's than I could count. I started playing golf in 1991 and I was always searching for a game and honestly trading clubs was part of the fun for me. I moved through more sets of irons and drivers than I know. Without a doubt it was hurting my game so in early 2000's I went to Edwin Watts with intention of leaving with "The Putter." It was down to a Scotty Newport, an Odyssey 2-Ball blade and a Ping Anser of some sort with a blue insert. The Ping was the cheapest and that's what I used for the next many years until I purchased my Odyssey Tour Black 9. I was having trouble with left to right putts and the rounded lines helped me see my start line better. It turns out I have a strong arc and the heel shafted design fits my stroke best. My putting has massively improved since finding the right putter and sticking with it. I figured out that for me, it hurt my game trying to figure out a new club all the time. When I find something that works I keep it. This past year I bought almost a whole new bag because my body had changed after my back surgeries and I needed something that fit my "new" body. It took me all last year to get used to those clubs but the putter stayed the same. When the putt matters I like having something proven and familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faithful for my gamer for sure.

Ive gamed three putters since my first 'adult' sized set.

-Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie - my dad is using this now... still with the original grip 😂

-Odyssey White Ice Rossie

-Scotty Cameron Newport Select (Black Mist)

After my putter fitting this season where we dialed in the Newport versus some others its going to be in the bag for a lonnggg time. I do however like to putt with all sorts of putters at the store.  just to try different grips/styles/face tech as it comes out.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:16 AM, bens197 said:

I just purchased an Evnroll ER5 to try and overthrow my trusty PING Anser 2 from 1999.  I’ve dabbled with several putters over the years to battle slumps but seemed to always return back to my old faithful.  The putter I had most luck with that wasn’t a mainstay was a DFX 2-ball that I used to pass my PAT.  Besides that, I am hoping the ER5 can keep me consistent enough for the time being.  

I’d like to hear @Jmikecpa and his thoughts on this topic 🙂

On 5/10/2019 at 10:16 AM, bens197 said:

I just purchased an Evnroll ER5 to try and overthrow my trusty PING Anser 2 from 1999.  I’ve dabbled with several putters over the years to battle slumps but seemed to always return back to my old faithful.  The putter I had most luck with that wasn’t a mainstay was a DFX 2-ball that I used to pass my PAT.  Besides that, I am hoping the ER5 can keep me consistent enough for the time being.  

I’d like to hear @Jmikecpa and his thoughts on this topic 🙂

Hi Ben's I had a go to putter when I was in my 20s ,it was a "A" blade from Ping cut to 33 ,I could put from anywhere and do magics I got rid of it 12 years ago ,and only found my gamer 2 weeks ago ,guest wath it is still from Ping it is a Scotsdale answer 2 from 2010,11 model. Today I am 59 just learned how to rollover my ball using this " strong arc " path Scotsdale with a uptight 35" inches getting much older ,after trying so many models ,from big brands like Cameron select ,Odyssey pro, Taylormade ghost etc....,and it is very difficult without being properly fit from our stroke path, Ping has a really good free fitting on their site call " Ping  flighweb " it really worked for me.

Edited by M.Duchesne
Rewrite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverickping said:

I like to change them up, keep everyone excited about who comes out next.

You have a nice collection of putters from what i remember;  lots of Tad Moore models