TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shanky’s Short Game Sessions

Oh snap!!! Cant wait to watch these I need to learn that pitch that bites

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Well, that is a great way to start. I just spent the last 45 minutes talking to my phone that wasn’t recording.

But here is step 1 for a low chip. This is my 60° off my right big toe with a slight forward shaft lean. The blade is as open as I can get it. I set up this way for the high chip too, just move the ball forward to the left big toe.

IMG_5438.JPG

What's the idea on the way open face for low chip?  Is it to get a ton of bounce so as not to chunk?

Yes. I could smack down on that right there without a divot.

But I keep the face open with a low takeaway and a low follow through. I feel as my hands are out in front of my front leg at impact. That particular set up I was looking at 30-35’ of green. It gets no more than waist high, hits once and checks on the next. I try to carry that one dang near to the pin.

And you have to crowd the ball to keep it low. For a low chip or pitch I’ll use the “1 of my feet” distance from the ball. I practice the set up by making sure I am no further than 11-13” I wear a size 11 shoe. So anywhere in that range works great.

This particular shot is a high percentage shot for me. The trajectory might change slightly but it never gets above my head.

And with having the face wide open like that, your chance of a duff is low. There is so much bounce interacting with the ground that even my fatted chips still generally end up in a good spot.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yes. I could smack down on that right there without a divot.

But I keep the face open with a low takeaway and a low follow through. I feel as my hands are out in front of my front leg at impact. That particular set up I was looking at 30-35’ of green. It gets no more than waist high, hits once and checks on the next. I try to carry that one dang near to the pin.

And you have to crowd the ball to keep it low. For a low chip or pitch I’ll use the “2 of my feet” distance from the ball. I practice the set up by making sure I am no further than 22-24” I wear a size 11 shoe. So anywhere in that range works great.

This particular shot is a high percentage shot for me. The trajectory might change slightly but it never gets above my head.

And with having the face wide open like that, your chance of a duff is low. There is so much bounce interacting with the ground that even my fatted chips still generally end up in a good spot.

Interesting, so do you hit any chips with a straight face? Or are they all open faced for the extra bounce?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Interesting, so do you hit any chips with a straight face? Or are they all open faced for the extra bounce?

Rarely. If I do it’s from a bare lie, or the stringy stuff.

Technically my “chips” aren’t chips. It’s a small pitch shot. The less roll the better. I’ve been working on some running shots, but it’s just easier for me to throw spiny darts. Sure sometimes they don’t do what I want, and run out. But I’m far more accurate with that over a roller.

It also depends on if it’s down hill or up hill, and what the wind is doing.

Down hill I will use some roll on occasion, or send it high with or without spin. The high spiny ones are my favorite for down hill shots. The dead ball flop shot I save for out of the rough. I do use the low one if there is a ridge or something to slow it down. If I am down hill going with the wind I’ll use a 52 and let it release a bit more.

Up hill with a runoff behind the cup I will hit the low checking shot into the slope below the hole. I rarely use the high one for up hill shots, unless there is a ton of wind into me... yeah completely different then what common sense says. But I’ll float a high spiny one flag high and just Kevin Na it and walk to the ball. Stops dead.

Excellent content so far and I'm looking forward to the videos. How would you say you distribute your weight for this shot? Is it like Mickelson and all forward, or do you go for something like 70/30 or 60/40?

As someone who struggles with the short game, I'm looking forward to following along. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Excellent content so far and I'm looking forward to the videos. How would you say you distribute your weight for this shot? Is it like Mickelson and all forward, or do you go for something like 70/30 or 60/40?

As someone who struggles with the short game, I'm looking forward to following along. Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

Depends for the weight distribution. But mostly 60/40, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I really don’t put much thought into it. Been working on a quick set up and pull the trigger. The more I hover over a shot the worse it is.

Thanks!

Depends for the weight distribution. But mostly 60/40, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I really don’t put much thought into it. Been working on a quick set up and pull the trigger. The more I hover over a shot the worse it is.
Thanks Shankster!

Went back today to get some video. Wasn’t feeling it. Spent a hour working on my long irons, and woods, couldn’t get the full swing mentality to leave.

Hit some good chips, actual chips today with my 9 iron. I could make due with the rollers if I had to. But just felt off so I didn’t take any video.

Doesn’t help that the greens are fuzzy and the fringe is long.

Putting is improving a lot though.

I’m going to try and have all of my crap together tomorrow to get a fair estimate of my game.

18 hours ago, Shankster said:

Clubface is pointed at the target, stances is around 30°-40° open. The video was supposed to show all that. Whoops. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

So what is the swing path? Does it follow the feet (out to in) or is it fairly square with the clubface?

So what is the swing path? Does it follow the feet (out to in) or is it fairly square with the clubface?

Nope. Hard to explain. You know how Bubba sets up wide open and hits draws?

Well that’s what I’m doing with these. The ball is far enough back that it is collected on the out portion of the swing.

Now for the high one it is even more tricky. Open the clubface, lower the handle a touch it still promotes right to left movement, just ever so slightly.

@Shankster I've been digging to China with my wedges for the past month and getting mildly irritated, so I went out and practiced this today during a little 9 hole trot and holy crap it worked wonders. I got lazy a bladed one on 8 but still stayed on the back of the green somehow. Other than that, it was straight cash homie. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

[mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] I've been digging to China with my wedges for the past month and getting mildly irritated, so I went out and practiced this today during a little 9 hole trot and holy crap it worked wonders. I got lazy a bladed one on 8 but still stayed on the back of the green somehow. Other than that, it was straight cash homie. 

Glad it is working for you!

It takes a lot of practice to stay up with it. And a bit to get used to seeing that blade wide open.

Also, @Shankster thank you for this post and for helping teach me how to be a better lefty. 

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

It takes a lot of practice to stay up with it. And a bit to get used to seeing that blade wide open.

emoji1360.png

It looked a little funny at first but I gave it the "aw @&$%, give it a swing" and dropped the second one close. Then it just kept working and working.  Needless to say, it's definitely now part of the practice routine. 

Better Phil? I can’t hit left handed to save my life. Haha.

Neither can I 😂😂😂.  Just the idea of trying to give the club more bounce. The thought never crossed my mind. 

Gameday

Classic Bag

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

emoji1360.png

Yeah, I tried this today and I really struggled with the low shot. It just seemed weird having the blade open, but then holding the shaft lean. That high checker was 🔥🔥🔥.

Edited by GB13

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Makes a different sound doesn’t it?

Glad it’s working.

It does. The sound changed from "click... oh s*** stop!" to a nice "zip".

It does. The sound changed from "click... oh s*** stop!" to a nice "zip".

If you are struggling with the low one. The main focus is to keep the speed up. With that blade that open you almost can’t swing too hard. And it is more of a body turn then hands on the through swing.

*recommend not pointing at people or things of value when practicing it*

If you are struggling with the low one. The main focus is to keep the speed up. With that blade that open you almost can’t swing too hard. And it is more of a body turn then hands on the through swing.

*recommend not pointing at people or things of value when practicing it*

Thanks, I was definately getting to handsy and trying to lift the ball up. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

(Although the practice chipping green does point toward the parking lot😳... Who decided that was a good idea?🤦‍♂️)

Just remember with the forward shaft lean your hands will automatically be a little be farther back at impact then address.

That is what creates the right to left, the face is pointed a little bit more to the left then when you started.

When I get the video it will be easier to see what I am doing.

Wedges look awfully familiar.. I bet they're magical great post BTW. I'm always looking for more tools to add to my Swiss army wedge.

BTW what model ball? When doing the e12 testing I brought in a Tour B XS (TW's ball) to compare the e12 to a premium ball and it is a beast on all levels. Fly's and rolls for miles off the tee and spins like hell up close. Such a great ball! 

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

Thanks, I was definately getting to handsy and trying to lift the ball up. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

(Although the practice chipping green does point toward the parking lot😳... Who decided that was a good idea?🤦‍♂️)

Well, mine points to the driving range teeing ground with just a parking area for carts in-between. You can see the cart path just passed the pitching green.  The elevated area is the teeing ground.  

IMG_0979.thumb.jpg.83e60f718166c77dbca993a360f7f037.jpg

People have skulled shots there.  🙄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”