TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shanky’s Short Game Sessions

Something I noted from the face-on perspective is the almost imperceptible difference between your positions at setup and impact. It looks soooo quiet - truly marvelous. The only change is a slight lateral lead with the knees and your hands have rolled over to close the face a touch (from what I’ve seen down-the-line you actually setup with the face right of target).

The other thing I noticed is the amount of shoulder rotation you employ (in both directions). The result is tons of width and shallow action. Your arms stay right in front of your chest throughout the motion. For the Spies trying to replicate @Shankster‘s splashy spinning pitch I think shoulder rotation, quiet hands and speed will be the keys to success. Long swing + short distance = high tariff (ability/feel). And I would subsequently suggest that it’s the kind of motion you can initially improve upon quicker (and do less property damage), practicing without a ball.

Although you make it look easy... it is decidedly not an easy shot selection.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Thanks DLK. You are much better at explaining things.

What might be easy for me is difficult for others. You are very true that it is high tariff.

And for the practicing without a ball thing. I get 7 months to do so.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I’m guessing the slight closing of the face is what gives me my right to left.

Another note on what DLK is saying, if I’m anywhere near the green with a good lie, I will pick this shot 99.99% of the time. I am 100% confident in this type of shot, ask me for a low roller, or a long lag out and I get nervous. Only because I don’t practice those shots.

They are all feel shots for me, and picking landing spots.

I did realize that when taking these videos I was just hitting the ball aimlessly with out much care where they went... not good practice.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Thanks DLK. You are much better at explaining things.

What might be easy for me is difficult for others. You are very true that it is high tariff.

And for the practicing without a ball thing. I get 7 months to do so.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. emoji1363.png I’m guessing the slight closing of the face is what gives me my right to left.

Anytime muchacho.

Practicing without a ball was a suggestion directed toward others wanting to add this shot to their toolbox - you obviously have the action down cold.

Yeah, for this shot to result in draw spin, the face will be closed (relative to path) at impact.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

After all of our wonderful conversations in this thread, I’ve put myself to the test.

And I may have found an easier way to get my shot done with a more square set up. A few more goes with some practice and I’ll share it with you all.

Just want to make sure I understand what I am doing this time before trying to explain it. It seems much easier, and less high risk.

Hope I haven’t lost any believers.

If something I’m saying sounds dumb or incorrect feel free to step in, I welcome all assistance on golf terms, positions and whatever.

Thanks again for reading along.

Worked on this a little bit today.  Basically it is the same as my normal chipping/pitching approach just with the open face and open to the target line.   Unless I have the right wedge I am a bit more comfortable with my approach since I don't have to hit down as much,  I just swing through the ball.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Worked on this a little bit today.  Basically it is the same as my normal chipping/pitching approach just with the open face and open to the target line.   Unless I have the right wedge I am a bit more comfortable with my approach since I don't have to hit down as much,  I just swing through the ball.   

I don’t try to hit down any. Sweeping motion. The open faced makes the speed have to be up to get the ball to go the same distance as a square face. More speed, more spin.

Many ways to get the job done. I’d say if yours works stick with it. I’ve been honing this shot for a few years, so like DLK did it’s like second nature to me.

If we ever get a chance to play in the DMV Invitational I’ll show you in person, I think I could explain it better in person.

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I don’t try to hit down any. Sweeping motion. The open faced makes the speed have to be up to get the ball to go the same distance as a square face. More speed, more spin.

Many ways to get the job done. I’d say if yours works stick with it. I’ve been honing this shot for a few years, so like DLK did it’s like second nature to me.

If we ever get a chance to play in the DMV Invitational I’ll show you in person, I think I could explain it better in person.

I was just trying it since yours probably has more spin due to the speed.  I think "down" was probably a bad choice of words, had to force the acceleration on your type of swing where mine is more of a just turn the shoulders and let the club do the work.  

Not if we get a chance to play in the DMV invitational but when we play.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was just trying it since yours probably has more spin due to the speed.  I think "down" was probably a bad choice of words, had to force the acceleration on your type of swing where mine is more of a just turn the shoulders and let the club do the work.  
Not if we get a chance to play in the DMV invitational but when we play.  

Sounds good.

I’m following, that’s what I use the longer backswing for. It is hard to commit to. I actually bounced one off the side of the club house about .25” from a window when I started practicing it.

Then I decided to point the other direction.

After all of our wonderful conversations in this thread, I’ve put myself to the test.

And I may have found an easier way to get my shot done with a more square set up. A few more goes with some practice and I’ll share it with you all.

Just want to make sure I understand what I am doing this time before trying to explain it. It seems much easier, and less high risk.

Hope I haven’t lost any believers.

If something I’m saying sounds dumb or incorrect feel free to step in, I welcome all assistance on golf terms, positions and whatever.

Thanks again for reading along.

Well I attempted this new method I thought would work for me, but after some very, very, very, very poor results I decided I’m not going to mess with what I have.

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

Well I attempted this new method I thought would work for me, but after some very, very, very, very poor results I decided I’m not going to mess with what I have.

if it ain't broke don't fix it👏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Watched the LPGA players are the Pure Silk Championship practice their shortgame.  Just amazing to watch,  they pitching and chip shots seem so effortless.  

Watched the LPGA players are the Pure Silk Championship practice their shortgame.  Just amazing to watch,  they pitching and chip shots seem so effortless.  

Picking any good stuff up?

I’m almost at the effortless part for it, but the rest of my game is a struggle. Just need to get to that 50 yard mark and I’m all set.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Picking any good stuff up?

I’m almost at the effortless part for it, but the rest of my game is a struggle. Just need to get to that 50 yard mark and I’m all set.

Mostly looking at ball position, shaft lean, and tempo.  Ball position and shaft lean are all slightly different,  but the tempo is pretty much the same.   Probably my biggest fault when I do less than shaft parallel to the ground. 

Ok. Next segment is bunkers. Something I used to struggle with a lot, now I wish I would land in them more.

Having a giant beach and a sand pit in my yard to practice helps a ton.

What do you guys want to see?
How's the sand in your yard? Is it pretty solid or fluffy? If it's fluffy, I'd like to see how to navigate that. I got stuck in one at Bear Trace and had a fun time watching it roll back in. I was trying to open the face and hit behind it to splash out and failed miserably.

I suck out of the sand, both of my local tracks have very little, so practicing is tough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

35 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

How's the sand in your yard? Is it pretty solid or fluffy? If it's fluffy, I'd like to see how to navigate that. I got stuck in one at Bear Trace and had a fun time watching it roll back in. I was trying to open the face and hit behind it to splash out and failed miserably.

I suck out of the sand, both of my local tracks have very little, so practicing is tough.

This! Fluffy lies!

Also, with your other chips, are you sliding the club under the ball? Or actually hitting down on it?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

This! Fluffy lies!
Also, with your other chips, are you sliding the club under the ball? Or actually hitting down on it?

I have access to fluffy stuff, the sand in the yard it pretty thin and fluffy, I’ll double rake it and it will be just what your asking for.

—————

I don’t like that hitting down thing. I see way too many people at the range literally trying to drive their wedges into the ground so hard I can’t believe they don’t break their wrists.

Just brush/bruise the grass. The down part should be your ball position. If it is back in your arc you’ll catch it on the down, lower on the face, depending on lie, lower flight, slight draw shape.

Middle of the arc you’ll get it a little higher on the face, and a medium trajectory, should be a straight flight.

Up in the stance a little, even higher on the face and probably some cut spin.

But I never think hit down. To me that is setting people up for failure.

I think it should be collect the ball towards the back of your arc, on the down portion of it. That way people wouldn’t slam their clubs into the turf and cuss themselves out every time the chunk or thin a chip.

Sweep it.

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have access to fluffy stuff, the sand in the yard it pretty thin and fluffy, I’ll double rake it and it will be just what your asking for.

—————

I don’t like that hitting down thing. I see way too many people at the range literally trying to drive their wedges into the ground so hard I can’t believe they don’t break their wrists.

Just brush/bruise the grass. The down part should be your ball position. If it is back in your arc you’ll catch it on the down, lower on the face, depending on lie, lower flight, slight draw shape.

Middle of the arc you’ll get it a little higher on the face, and a medium trajectory, should be a straight flight.

Up in the stance a little, even higher on the face and probably some cut spin.

But I never think hit down. To me that is setting people up for failure.

I think it should be collect the ball towards the back of your arc, on the down portion of it. That way people wouldn’t slam their clubs into the turf and cuss themselves out every time the chunk or thin a chip.

Sweep it.

Okay, that makes sense, I was just asking because my miss has seemed to be "fluffing" it, sliding it too far underneath and leaving it short. 

Okay, that makes sense, I was just asking because my miss has seemed to be "fluffing" it, sliding it too far underneath and leaving it short. 

I only use that technique from the fairway or fringe. It doesn’t work very well out of the rough. That will be another segment.

You’ll have to keep the speed up or you will short yourself every time. If you are going to use it, I use the middle of the flagstick as my aim point, just to make sure I get it there, unless I know it is going to roll a lot, then it’s all feel.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I only use that technique from the fairway or fringe. It doesn’t work very well out of the rough. That will be another segment.

You’ll have to keep the speed up or you will short yourself every time. If you are going to use it, I use the middle of the flagstick as my aim point, just to make sure I get it there, unless I know it is going to roll a lot, then it’s all feel.

Oh, thanks, that explains it. I should have realized that by now. 😬😬😬

Oh, thanks, that explains it. I should have realized that by now.

Yeah. Confusing... dang. I always pick a landing point a bit short of the stick. But my last look is the middle of the stick.

Point is. With the face that wide open it will take more speed to get it there, that’s where the spin comes from.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to jump on here and say thanks for sharing your wisdom and advice on chipping. Went to the chipping green to get a feel for some Srixon Z Star XV'S and was hitting some good ones. This thread encouraged me to open the face more, trust the bounce to the point where I'm focusing on keeping the clubhead lower longer, and feeling the club leading the downswing then aggressively swinging. Its magic! The greens were firm, so the ball was rolling out a bit, but I did hole one from about 60 feet.

Just wanted to jump on here and say thanks for sharing your wisdom and advice on chipping. Went to the chipping green to get a feel for some Srixon Z Star XV'S and was hitting some good ones. This thread encouraged me to open the face more, trust the bounce to the point where I'm focusing on keeping the clubhead lower longer, and feeling the club leading the downswing then aggressively swinging. Its magic! The greens were firm, so the ball was rolling out a bit, but I did hole one from about 60 feet.

Glad you had some success.

I haven’t forgotten about this thread. Still settling in here in Maryland.

There is one heck of a short game area at the course. Just have to find a timeframe that it isn’t slammed. Might be winter when everyone else is too chicken to play.

36 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Glad you had some success.

I haven’t forgotten about this thread. Still settling in here in Maryland.

There is one heck of a short game area at the course. Just have to find a timeframe that it isn’t slammed. Might be winter when everyone else is too chicken to play. emoji6.png

We don't have a great short game area, but it's adequate.  I'm amazed that almost no one is ever using the pitching/bunker area.  People show up, hit a bucket of balls, putt 10 balls, then head to the tee when their name is called.  I can spend an hour pitching balls from different yardages, and maybe one person hits 10-20 shots then leaves.  

I have no idea how many shots I've saved because of my short game practice, but I know it's a lot.  Some people don't get it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”