1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Glad it is working for you!

It takes a lot of practice to stay up with it. And a bit to get used to seeing that blade wide open.

emoji1360.png

It looked a little funny at first but I gave it the "aw @&$%, give it a swing" and dropped the second one close. Then it just kept working and working.  Needless to say, it's definitely now part of the practice routine. 

Better Phil? I can’t hit left handed to save my life. Haha.

Neither can I 😂😂😂.  Just the idea of trying to give the club more bounce. The thought never crossed my mind. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Glad it is working for you!

It takes a lot of practice to stay up with it. And a bit to get used to seeing that blade wide open.

emoji1360.png

Yeah, I tried this today and I really struggled with the low shot. It just seemed weird having the blade open, but then holding the shaft lean. That high checker was 🔥🔥🔥.

Edited by GB13
  • Like 2

Awesome!

I have a few more things I’m going to add eventually, some bunker shots, the flop, pitch and runs.

Just need to get a free day to get some videos.

• Like 2

Yeah, I tried this today and I really struggled with the low shot. It just seemed weird having the blade open, but then holding the shaft lean. That high checker was .

Makes a different sound doesn’t it?

Glad it’s working.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Makes a different sound doesn’t it?

Glad it’s working.

It does. The sound changed from "click... oh s*** stop!" to a nice "zip".

• Like 1

It does. The sound changed from "click... oh s*** stop!" to a nice "zip".

If you are struggling with the low one. The main focus is to keep the speed up. With that blade that open you almost can’t swing too hard. And it is more of a body turn then hands on the through swing.

*recommend not pointing at people or things of value when practicing it*
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you are struggling with the low one. The main focus is to keep the speed up. With that blade that open you almost can’t swing too hard. And it is more of a body turn then hands on the through swing.

*recommend not pointing at people or things of value when practicing it*

Thanks, I was definately getting to handsy and trying to lift the ball up. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

(Although the practice chipping green does point toward the parking lot😳... Who decided that was a good idea?🤦‍♂️)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just remember with the forward shaft lean your hands will automatically be a little be farther back at impact then address.

That is what creates the right to left, the face is pointed a little bit more to the left then when you started.

When I get the video it will be easier to see what I am doing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wedges look awfully familiar.. I bet they're magical great post BTW. I'm always looking for more tools to add to my Swiss army wedge.

BTW what model ball? When doing the e12 testing I brought in a Tour B XS (TW's ball) to compare the e12 to a premium ball and it is a beast on all levels. Fly's and rolls for miles off the tee and spins like hell up close. Such a great ball! 

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

Thanks, I was definately getting to handsy and trying to lift the ball up. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

(Although the practice chipping green does point toward the parking lot😳... Who decided that was a good idea?🤦‍♂️)

Well, mine points to the driving range teeing ground with just a parking area for carts in-between. You can see the cart path just passed the pitching green.  The elevated area is the teeing ground.  

IMG_0979.thumb.jpg.83e60f718166c77dbca993a360f7f037.jpg

People have skulled shots there.  🙄

• Like 3

Going to have to the videos on pause. After recovering from my round today, I may have messed up my shoulder.... can’t catch a break.

Hopefully I don’t have to give it up all together. I believe that chunked 8 iron was the culprit. Going to lay low for a week without picking up a club to see how I feel.

Stay tuned...

• Sad 2

Well, mine points to the driving range teeing ground with just a parking area for carts in-between. You can see the cart path just passed the pitching green.  The elevated area is the teeing ground.  
IMG_0979.thumb.jpg.83e60f718166c77dbca993a360f7f037.jpg
People have skulled shots there.  
I could do that, I'm a master of the skulled wedge.

I did get out in my backyard this evening and give this method a whirl. So far, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing. I was able to dial in a decent shot at about thirty feet. Nice spinny shots with a lower trajectory that were landing near my target (my wife's crepe myrtle, don't tell her).@Shankster I hope your shoulder starts feeling better soon and thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

Going to have to the videos on pause. After recovering from my round today, I may have messed up my shoulder.... emoji24.pngcan’t catch a break.

Hopefully I don’t have to give it up all together. I believe that chunked 8 iron was the culprit. Going to lay low for a week without picking up a club to see how I feel. emoji51.png

Stay tuned... emoji342.png

Sorry too hear about the shoulder.  Maybe you should get some Hank Haney Voo Doo pain relief cream!!  Actually, it does work somewhat.

I spent a couple of hours in the practice area today.  Our course was hosting a H.S. girls 3A regional today, so no play.  I absolutely cannot hit the shot as you described at the start of the thread.  If I open my stance that far, that's where the ball is going.  My stance is fairly parallel to the target line and feet close together.  With a pendulum swing letting gravity do most of the effort and an open face, I hit some very nice shots (better than the pic above).  Distance determined by length of back and through swing.  Most were picked, but a few were a little fat.  However, using the bounce like that still produced a good shot, just a little more runout.  Bounce is your friend.

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes gents. It’s the shoulder I had surgery on last year. So I’m being extra cautious. Some pain this morning. So we’ll see.

Kenny, The Open stance is tough to get used to. If your technique works I wouldn’t change it. It’s something that I have developed over a few years.

Even yesterday I had a few chances to use it and left myself a long par putt.

Still knocking the rust off.

• Like 2

Note to self: never go to the course and try something for the first time without putting in a little more practice than a few balls in the backyard. My game was so skully today I had a guy chasing me with a sword shouting something about power and Greyskull.

I did get on the practice green after my round and figured out I was not completely following your advice on how close to get to the ball. I was setting up probably between 18-24 inches from the ball. Once I moved closer, I saw much better results. I really like this setup and now I'm going to spend more time on the practice green to see if I can hone my ability with it.

• Like 1

Note to self: never go to the course and try something for the first time without putting in a little more practice than a few balls in the backyard. My game was so skully today I had a guy chasing me with a sword shouting something about power and Greyskull.

I did get on the practice green after my round and figured out I was not completely following your advice on how close to get to the ball. I was setting up probably between 18-24 inches from the ball. Once I moved closer, I saw much better results. I really like this setup and now I'm going to spend more time on the practice green to see if I can hone my ability with it.

Yeah. I do the same. Warm up hitting fades, then try to hit draws all day whilst yelling at myself.

It does take a bunch of practice to get comfortable with this technique. I put in around a hour a day for an entire summer on it, and still put at least 15-20 minutes every time I go to the range. It’s a perishable technique for sure.
  • Like 1

I took this onto the course for the first time today, and it worked pretty well. I was making pretty decent contact, but I need to get it into my head to carry it to the pin. Since I normally play bump and run shots, I was still landing the ball 20-25 feet short of the pin, but not getting enough rollout. Just need to drill it into my head to hit it pin high. 

• Like 3

I took this onto the course for the first time today, and it worked pretty well. I was making pretty decent contact, but I need to get it into my head to carry it to the pin. Since I normally play bump and run shots, I was still landing the ball 20-25 feet short of the pin, but not getting enough rollout. Just need to drill it into my head to hit it pin high. 

It’s tough to give in. With the greens I play on this method works great. Anything much quicker and I’d have to leave it a little short and play for a little release.

There’s actually a video of Tiger hitting the high one like I do floating around on the web today. Wipey short fade looking thing that goes 3-4 yards, his was a down hill shot so it released some.

Practice. But keep that roller in your arsenal.
  • Like 1

Just now, Shankster said:

It’s tough to give in. With the greens I play on this method works great. Anything much quicker and I’d have to leave it a little short and play for a little release.

There’s actually a video of Tiger hitting the high one like I do floating around on the web today. Wipey short fade looking thing that goes 3-4 yards, his was a down hill shot so it released some.

Practice. But keep that roller in your arsenal.

Yeah, I was playing hard fast greens today, and I really wasn't getting a ton of release. With my normal runner, I would have had a tough time keeping shots around the pin. In all reality, my best chips were when I was short sided, and forced to land the ball in a tight area 2-3' short of the pin, and have it trickle down. 

Now, if I could just not hit my approaches behind trees, I could hit good pitches. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I was playing hard fast greens today, and I really wasn't getting a ton of release. With my normal runner, I would have had a tough time keeping shots around the pin. In all reality, my best chips were when I was short sided, and forced to land the ball in a tight area 2-3' short of the pin, and have it trickle down. 
Now, if I could just not hit my approaches behind trees, I could hit good pitches. 

Dang trees. I’d rather hit out of hay then have trees on golf courses.

Played a few links “style” courses and you get free reign on shot shaping. Trees force you to play a certain way...
  • Like 1