Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ball article error?

Hi Guys:

Love the site. Was reading the 'Ball Review"  article....

Isn't this phrase in the article backwards?

"We get that some of you love soft feel, but the reality is that the only golfers likely to see real performance benefits from low compression balls are

high speed, high spin players. That’s probably not you."

Keep it straight.

John

John,

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

Just a quick disclaimer: as a forum moderator, I didn't have anything to do with the test itself, so what I'm offering here is my opinion, not the "official" answer to your question. My understanding is that the testing found that soft balls have less speed and less spin. If that's the case, they would be best suited for a player who doesn't need any additional distance (high speed) but who spins the ball maybe a bit too much, and wants to keep spin down. In my judgment, that makes good sense of the summary statement as it is written.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

John,

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

Just a quick disclaimer: as a forum moderator, I didn't have anything to do with the test itself, so what I'm offering here is my opinion, not the "official" answer to your question. My understanding is that the testing found that soft balls have less speed and less spin. If that's the case, they would be best suited for a player who doesn't need any additional distance (high speed) but who spins the ball maybe a bit too much, and wants to keep spin down. In my judgment, that makes good sense of the summary statement as it is written.

Thanks for the reply.

So, if the power player should play a softer ball....what type of ball should a Senior player with 80 mph driver speed play?

I may be thinking too hard...

John

Edited by jburwell

I think you're over thinking it. The testing isn't an absolute perfect ball for everyone answer, but rather a guide to help you choose a better ball for you. I'm a Senior golfer with slower swing speeds and play Snell black or Tm TP5X. I think you'd be happy with Any of the top performers as a starting point. Try a few and see what you like.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, jburwell said:

Thanks for the reply.

So, if the power player should play a softer ball....what type of ball should a Senior player with 80 mph driver speed play?

I may be thinking too hard...

John

The best ball-speed for the 85 mph set was the Titleist Pro V1x.  But I can't reiterate enough, the overwhelming consent of those conducting the test was "get fit for your golf ball!" 

• 2 weeks later...
The best ball-speed for the 85 mph set was the Titleist Pro V1x.  But I can't reiterate enough, the overwhelming consent of those conducting the test was "get fit for your golf ball!" 

I'm in the category of mid 80's swing speed. When I went through my complete bag fitting at the beginning of the month, the fitter recommended Pro V 1X, primarily because of its high launch characteristics. .

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As someone that has spent a few years playing "softer" balls, I almost laughed when I read the article. With my 110-115 MPH swing I hit my driver 285 with a good cut off the tee - perfectly controlled, or 325 on a very much less controlled "smash". I spin my wedges to a perfect stop and loved the squishy feels of the "softer" balls around the green. Of course, I grew up on Maxfli HT-100 Balatas and Titleist 384 Professionals, so even today's "soft" balls go quite a ways farther than those old timers. In fact, I saw so little performance gain in ball testing over the winter months that I settled on the Aris Hero (great ball, bad cover) until I found out that it isn't on the conforming list. Back to my beloved Wilson Duo Spin stock that I had left...

So, after reading the article, I went back and grabbed the demo sleeves of the AVX's that I had gotten from the golf show in Seattle. Now, if I understood correctly, I still benefit from "slower balls" in some ways, so this may be skewed a bit, but I picked up between 20 and 25 yards on my driver (right in line with the 115 MPH testing) and I had about 5 yards an iron increase as well. I also had a much stronger ball flight, which made playing in wind and wet conditions a bit more manageable. So, ultimately, I have played/tested about 25 balls over the last 6 months, My experiences were very similar to MGS's test results - which has me no longer laughing. In fact, I'm almost mad at myself of doing it in the first place.

So with all of that said, remember MGS is a great place to start, it's not an end all to providing a solution for anything, but it's an amazing place to start when you don't have any preconceived ideas about your game. I have a feeling that if the average person used the information on MGS to build a bag, they would have a lot more fun playing the game. So, thanks MGS for doing the test and making my game just a bit better. Now, for those that haven't read the results, go check out the article and decide which balls you'd like to try. Even if it's just out on the course, grab a sleeve of the "best" balls for you and give them a hit. There's something there that will help you... 

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes