Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Top Tracer Range

Bonks

Does anyone else go to a range that has Top Tracer Range? I know there are around 60 in the US that have this but I never knew it existed until about a month and a half ago when it was installed at the range I go to. It provides a whole different experience at the range. They're going to be installing Top Tracer Handheld soon that will work from the grass area.

You can do longest drive, closest to the pin, points game, virtual golf, a launch monitor and WITB (you can save the data for each club in the app and access it at any time). 0512191638.jpeg0512191639_HDR.jpeg0512191639.jpeg0512191722_HDR.jpeg0512191723.jpeg0512191731.jpeg0512191741.jpeg0512191741_HDR.jpeg

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff

3 Wood: 915 F stiff

3 Hybrid: 915 HD

4-PW: Original AP2

Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

Looks like a great idea for places that don't have a Top Golf.  From my checking, a Top Golf investment is  $15 to $50 million.  This could be an option for a significantly lower investment.   

The ability to have it outdoors on the grass area is really nice as well.  I could see these popping up in smaller markets as a more affordable option.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

The course where I take my lessons has a few covered bays setup with top tracer and they foo food/drink service from the clubhouse 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Top golf actually bought the technology and own it now.  I'm assuming they'll least it out to any range who wants to pay but they'll also be installing across their locations.  Just an FYI.  I've heard this directly from TopGolf.  Anyhow yes I've been to two ranges.  One was a golf dome in Romeoville IL and another was an outside range called Green Grass Driving Range in northern Illinois.  Nice technology.  When I went I noticed everything going about 15-20 yards shorter than what I'd expect  - I know, many will say or think its just another amateur expecting to hit it like the pros.  Well I beg to differ and here's how I know.

When they say same tech as the pros - yes same tech that traces shots - BUT Pros shots are measured by trackman on every single tee and shot link - not top tracer.  Pros are using their own balls - we use range balls.  I believe that along with a bit colder weather is the reasons for distance discrepencies.  Their technology is supposed to have a setting to account for the range balls but I'm not sure if that is turned on or calibrated correctly.

Someone is wrong but who?  So the folks at both ranges asked what I thought and specifically the accuracy of the distances and I said the same thing about being 15-20 yards off and they roll their eyes and say its cold and I just don't know my distances - which is probably true with most who hit up the ranges right but I have one big advantage - I'm good and I've played along time.  I've used numerous range finders, GPS units and before all that we walked off yardages from sprinklers, etc.  So some is wrong.

But who is wrong?  Either the top tracer ranges are off by 15-20 yards OR every single courses sprinklers, yardage markers, total hole lengths are all completely wrong AND all GPS units and laser range finders are wrong AND my entire life I've been living a lie AND all my fittings on trackman are also wrong.  So what is more likely?  1 piece of tech being wrong OR courses, GPS, Lasers and fittings?  I think its the top tracer LOL.  If I have 105 to the back middle, 110 over the green, 99 to the middle and 90 to the front - I hit a 58 degree every time assuming no wind/uphill - every time I hit the green unless its a fat or skulled shot or pulled - I'm assuming a well struck shot.  Well according to top range the absolute max my 58 will go is 79. LOL so I've either been lucky for 30 years AND all the yardages, sprinklers, GPS, and lasers are all wrong or just top tracer due to balls, and algorithms.  I can describe this exact scenario with any club.  PLUS last year on trackman I was fit for wedges (didn't buy it was a free fitting by Titliest) and my 50 flies 128, my 54 flies 115 and my 58 flies 102 - all max yardages - BUT top tracer shows 110, 100 and 79 LOL so again I think its amazing tech, its useful but DO NOT use it to club yardages.  You can use it to improve and understand your game though.

ADD in the MGS ball study and remember even premium balls show discrepancies of 28 yards! So a range ball going a lot shorter is definitely possible.

Its really cool playing a round.  I've played a round of 18 in 23 minutes.  I played another round of 18 in about 25 minutes LOL, I absolutely love the 'putting' part where you chip to targets and the circles are either large or small depending on how long of a 'putt' you've got.  ITs really something to go try at least once!  Whats really impressive is the leaders in top driving game - 300 yards when even though the thing is measuring short! LOL really some bashers go to just murder the ball.  I'm not short hitter but those numbers are insane.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I haven't been to a range with this tech, but I know that Trackman has the same type of set-up for grass ranges and you download an app (Trackman Range) on your phone to store all of your stats/data.  However, they don't have that in my town either.

Here's a link:  https://trackmangolf.com/products/range   

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Not sure why anyone would want to use launch monitor technology at Top Golf since their balls are extremely limited distance and don't produce normal ball speeds due to the RFID chips inside.

Right. I wouldn’t trust anything distance wise from top golf. Also not bringing my clubs there other than maybe wedges if I was going with golfing buddies for some winter practice 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

The range I usually practice at has top tracer.  I use it  as a solid training aid to my work. great for getting a fairly solid knowledge of distance, loft and accuracy. I do have to add about 10 yards to distance due to the realty of using range balls

I use it every 6wks or so. The visual tracer after each shots tells me a lot.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 3 years later...

This is an older thread, but rather then creating a new one going to bump it. 

I would love to know who has started to use Top Tracer at their courses or ranges? I have used the one at my local course and fallen in love with it. Even if the yardages aren't perfect it gives me a good idea of what is going on and more importantly the different programs it has within aids in a more productive practice. Included in this is a nice app and leaderboard which also helps in practice session of session week over week. 

So in addition to this if you do use top tracer what are your favorite programs they have? What do you use the most and where are you on their leaderboard?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I would love to know who has started to use Top Tracer at their courses or ranges? I have used the one at my local course and fallen in love with it. Even if the yardages aren't perfect it gives me a good idea of what is going on and more importantly the different programs it has within aids in a more productive practice. Included in this is a nice app and leaderboard which also helps in practice session of session week over week. 

So in addition to this if you do use top tracer what are your favorite programs they have? What do you use the most and where are you on their leaderboard?

There is one by me that I'm going to have to try out.  There's also a trackman range near by I want to go to.

Curious how you feel this is compared to a PLM like the Rapsodo?  How's the app work for tracking your shots?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have Top Tracer at my range, but I have only used the practice sessions and just a few times.  I need to make a more focused effort on the different options and games... it will most definitely improve my game beyond my own target practice.  It's a great tool that I just haven't delved into yet.. thanks for prompting me 🙂

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1