Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Effect on flex when cutting a Driver shaft

Looking for some input 

I am looking at purchasing a "new" Driver for myself I am looking at getting a previous year model. How would I go about cutting the shaft to a shorter playing length with maintaining the flex of the shaft?

Thank-you in advance guys!

How much are you looking to trim off it? If you're butt trimming from 46-45" I wouldn't worry about it too much. It should play a trifle stiffer but will probably be hard to quantify much performance change. I suspect as driver shafts have gotten longer the OEMs are just cutting them longer rather than reengineering to the new longer length. You should gain a bit more control and may actually hit it longer if you hit the shorter length more solidly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Yep, if you're just butt trimming an inch or so, you likely won't notice any difference.  It may make the butt play a touch stiffer, but the mid/tip sections will play the same.  Likewise when tip trimming, the tip will play stiffer but the butt/mid sections will play the same.  The biggest difference you'll notice is that the swing weight will drop and you'll need to bring that back up, unless you're just more comfortable at the lower SW.  That's trial and error that comes with the change.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I've also stated this in other threads.. if you're butt trimming, the flex impact should be the least of your concerns. Be sure and have a good plan for swing weight recalibration as an inch can definitely impact how the club feels and if not done correctly or just misunderstood, it could be perceived that the shaft flex has changed when in reality the swing weight is just too light. Additionally, if you don't have a club with interchangeable weights, you may be forced to add a bunch of lead tape, pay extra for a tip weighting, or have to add a lighter grip that you're not fond of. Be sure and research this piece if you haven't already.. BTW this is all knowledge from costly experience.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if you were looking to trim the butt end, couldn't you just choke down an inch or so and see how that feels (while hitting balls) before you go cutting up a shaft?

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if you were looking to trim the butt end, couldn't you just choke down an inch or so and see how that feels (while hitting balls) before you go cutting up a shaft?
Totally doable. You could just have the club gripped with a taper reduction to keep at least the top 2-3" relatively the same girth (). This way you won't have to worry about swing weight change and if you find it doesn't work for you you're just out a few bucks for the grip.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Every 1/2" cut is -3 SW points ( reverse is also true) so a D3 becomes a D0, cutting a 1" becomes a C7 (huge effect on your swing)

The shaft will feel minimally stiffer but you will definitely feel the SW difference. If you correct the SW with weight in the head and didn't tip trim it will greatly effect the way the shaft will play. You can butt trim an reduce grip weight to counteract the SW difference 

- 4 grams grip equals  +1 SW

Winn makes "lite" versions of DriTac grips that play at 23g and 25g which is 20 g lighter than most OEM grips which means you can cut about 3/4"from the butt with minimal SW difference from stock.

The good club builder can also do a lot with hot metal and tip weights, along with shaft frequency and puring.

Hope this helps

Edited by DaJoeyNJ

:callaway-small: EPIC FLASH SZ 9 Stiff Project X HZARDS SMOKE stiff 70g

:callaway-small: EPIC 18 Rogue MAX 75g stiff

:taylormade-small: M1 (2016) 4H Fuji Pro Stiff  

:taylormade-small: P760 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 Stiff

SM6 52° degree F-Grind 8 Bounce  MD3 56° S-Grind 10 Bounce  RTX-3 60° 10 Bounce

:odyssey-small: O-Works R-Line w/SS 2.0

• 1 year later...

I just butt cut my Kuro Kage AV 50 (R) down 1.5", making it a 44" Epic Flash Driver.   I did not have the right weights to increase the swing weight back to a D2, but played with it anyway. Results were a dramatic increase in accuracy but I lost nearly 20 yards.  Is this common to lose that much distance when trimming? WIll the proper swing weight help?

"Everyday takes figuring out all over again how to f***ing live."  Calamity Jane - Deadwood.

People ask me what I do for a living?  I say "I answer stupid questions."

2 hours ago, Dokes said:

I just butt cut my Kuro Kage AV 50 (R) down 1.5", making it a 44" Epic Flash Driver.   I did not have the right weights to increase the swing weight back to a D2, but played with it anyway. Results were a dramatic increase in accuracy but I lost nearly 20 yards.  Is this common to lose that much distance when trimming? WIll the proper swing weight help?

Not really. The longer original length gives a greater club head speed for a given swing speed. The shorter the fulcrum length (ie the shaft length) for the same swing speed, the club head speed reduces accordingly. With a reduction of 1.5" you would probably lose around 3-4mph in club head speed. Doesn't sound much, but when you translate that to distance from resultant club head speed - it accounts for your loss of distance. If you can live with the increased accuracy it's not worth worrying too much about. But if you can't live with the loss in distance you have two options - restore the length or increase your swing speed by swinging faster - which would probably lead to issues with dispersion. So when trimming shafts, it's always best to weigh up the pros and cons before making any adjustments. An half inch initially may have been the smarter option..

In theory, it will make it play slightly stiffer.  

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I recently installed a Hzrdus Smoke shaft in my driver. I purposely left it an inch longer so I could try it before final cut and just taped the grip and choked down an inch when I used it.  Wasn't quite what I was hoping for so I just tip trimmed the 1" today and will try again. 

• 2 years later...

I build 43 inch drivers from Taylormade R7 Quad 410cc heads some Max and some R7.The stock weights are 2-10 grams and 2-2 grams I replace the 2 grams with 14 grams and that is with a medium grip=D4.GREAT HEAD to use.I'm not sure how much flex I will gain by cutting 3 inch off.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, jaskanski said:

Not really. The longer original length gives a greater club head speed for a given swing speed. The shorter the fulcrum length (ie the shaft length) for the same swing speed, the club head speed reduces accordingly. With a reduction of 1.5" you would probably lose around 3-4mph in club head speed. Doesn't sound much, but when you translate that to distance from resultant club head speed - it accounts for your loss of distance. If you can live with the increased accuracy it's not worth worrying too much about. But if you can't live with the loss in distance you have two options - restore the length or increase your swing speed by swinging faster - which would probably lead to issues with dispersion. So when trimming shafts, it's always best to weigh up the pros and cons before making any adjustments. An half inch initially may have been the smarter option..

If you are comfortable with the increased accuracy that comes with a shorter shaft and don't mind the potential loss in distance, then it may not be a cause for concern. However, if the loss of distance is a significant issue for you, you have a couple of options. You can either restore the shaft length to its original size or try to increase your swing speed to compensate. However, increasing swing speed significantly can lead to dispersion issues and decreased accuracy.

Edited by felixaley