wowski_golf

Effect on flex when cutting a Driver shaft

Looking for some input 

I am looking at purchasing a "new" Driver for myself I am looking at getting a previous year model. How would I go about cutting the shaft to a shorter playing length with maintaining the flex of the shaft?

Thank-you in advance guys!

How much are you looking to trim off it? If you're butt trimming from 46-45" I wouldn't worry about it too much. It should play a trifle stiffer but will probably be hard to quantify much performance change. I suspect as driver shafts have gotten longer the OEMs are just cutting them longer rather than reengineering to the new longer length. You should gain a bit more control and may actually hit it longer if you hit the shorter length more solidly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Yep, if you're just butt trimming an inch or so, you likely won't notice any difference.  It may make the butt play a touch stiffer, but the mid/tip sections will play the same.  Likewise when tip trimming, the tip will play stiffer but the butt/mid sections will play the same.  The biggest difference you'll notice is that the swing weight will drop and you'll need to bring that back up, unless you're just more comfortable at the lower SW.  That's trial and error that comes with the change.

I've also stated this in other threads.. if you're butt trimming, the flex impact should be the least of your concerns. Be sure and have a good plan for swing weight recalibration as an inch can definitely impact how the club feels and if not done correctly or just misunderstood, it could be perceived that the shaft flex has changed when in reality the swing weight is just too light. Additionally, if you don't have a club with interchangeable weights, you may be forced to add a bunch of lead tape, pay extra for a tip weighting, or have to add a lighter grip that you're not fond of. Be sure and research this piece if you haven't already.. BTW this is all knowledge from costly experience.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 2

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if you were looking to trim the butt end, couldn't you just choke down an inch or so and see how that feels (while hitting balls) before you go cutting up a shaft?

• Like 4

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if you were looking to trim the butt end, couldn't you just choke down an inch or so and see how that feels (while hitting balls) before you go cutting up a shaft?
Totally doable. You could just have the club gripped with a taper reduction to keep at least the top 2-3" relatively the same girth (). This way you won't have to worry about swing weight change and if you find it doesn't work for you you're just out a few bucks for the grip.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Every 1/2" cut is -3 SW points ( reverse is also true) so a D3 becomes a D0, cutting a 1" becomes a C7 (huge effect on your swing)

The shaft will feel minimally stiffer but you will definitely feel the SW difference. If you correct the SW with weight in the head and didn't tip trim it will greatly effect the way the shaft will play. You can butt trim an reduce grip weight to counteract the SW difference 

- 4 grams grip equals  +1 SW

Winn makes "lite" versions of DriTac grips that play at 23g and 25g which is 20 g lighter than most OEM grips which means you can cut about 3/4"from the butt with minimal SW difference from stock.

The good club builder can also do a lot with hot metal and tip weights, along with shaft frequency and puring.

Hope this helps

Edited by DaJoeyNJ