TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tiger lawsuit

sixcat

Tiger has been served with a lawsuit claiming he is responsible for an employee of "The Woods" restaurant being killed in an alcohol related car crash.  I feel for the parents of the 24 year old who was killed but this is in no way, shape or form the responsibility of anyone else....let alone, the kids employer.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/14/tiger-woods-named-lawsuit-after-restaurant-employee-dies-car-crash/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2a9a7381635f

My father was an alcoholic and drug addict.  His choices were all his own and not the fault of anyone else.  His choices led to his death at the age of 49.  Blaming others isn't going to change the fact that this kid had demons that were never dealt with properly.  No amount of money is going to bring back their son.  Typical in modern society though, everyone goes after the deepest pockets.

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Tiger has been served with a lawsuit claiming he is responsible for an employee of "The Woods" restaurant being killed in an alcohol related car crash.  I feel for the parents of the 24 year old who was killed but this is in no way, shape or form the responsibility of anyone else....let alone, the kids employer.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/14/tiger-woods-named-lawsuit-after-restaurant-employee-dies-car-crash/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2a9a7381635f

My father was an alcoholic and drug addict.  His choices were all his own and not the fault of anyone else.  His choices led to his death at the age of 49.  Blaming others isn't going to change the fact that this kid had demons that were never dealt with properly.  No amount of money is going to bring back their son.  Typical in modern society though, everyone goes after the deepest pockets.

Yup! And by the way where was the intervention by the parents when they knew their son had a problem. It didn't happen overnight. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I wonder why the law suit was filed yesterday, the PGA Major week?

It does appear, based on the news article sixcat linked to, that they should have stopped serving him especially if they knew his history and knew he would be driving home. A 'duty of care' for ones employees or even just common sense should have prevailed.

What the young man does after he leaves his place of employment is solely his own responsibility.

Heartbreaking as it is I don't see any legal responsibility by the employer but I do see a lack of judgement, common sense and basic caring, but is that punishable I wonder.

I note the law suit value is $15,000 and maybe set at that to promote a quick settlement.

Personally, and without knowing the intimate details, if I was as wealthy as the restaurant is I would take moral responsibility and pay up with the caveat of not taking legal responsibility.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

2 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

It does appear, based on the news article sixcat linked to, that they should have stopped serving him especially if they knew his history and knew he would be driving home. A 'duty of care' for ones employees or even just common sense should have prevailed.

I don't disagree with you that he should have been cut off but two things stand out in the article.  First, his girlfriend was the GM of the restaurant.  Second, his shift ended at 3pm and the accident happened at "approximately 6pm."  

Another article states his blood alcohol content was .256, more than three times the legal limit and the accident happened more than 20 miles from the restaurant.  For him to be that intoxicated and that far away from the restaurant in such a short time after his shift ended, he had to be slamming drinks or he was sneaking drinks through his entire shift. 

If he was slamming drinks and not sneaking drinks during his shift, It's reasonable to assume, he got beyond a certain limit so quickly, the restaurant didn't notice. 

This happens anytime that there is an alcohol related death. Ask any pub owner they’ll tell you that the suit will start with the bar and funnel down to anyone who bought, sold or served that person a drink. It could include the vehicle manufacturer, the town if signs weren’t clearly in sight (tree overgrowth).

You see where I’m going with this? The only reason this tragic story is a story is because it involves TW.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I saw this yesterday when TMZ first reported it (FYI came across it in my Apple News app - not an avid reader of TMZ). I feel the same way. I don't like to cast so much negativity toward a couple that recently lost their son, but this is purely a money grab. No one was responsible for that guy's actions except himself. I doubt seriously that anyone forced car keys into his hands and told him to drive home drunk. The assertion that anyone should have known about his alcohol abuse is pretty stupid as well. If there's one thing addicts are typically quite adept at, it's hiding their addiction and playing things off like it's no big deal. It's sad what happened to this kid and what his parents are going through. It's equally sad that they felt the need to drag Tiger through the mud when he appears to have rebounded so well from the mistakes of his own past.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

48 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I saw this yesterday when TMZ first reported it (FYI came across it in my Apple News app - not an avid reader of TMZ). I feel the same way. I don't like to cast so much negativity toward a couple that recently lost their son, but this is purely a money grab. No one was responsible for that guy's actions except himself. I doubt seriously that anyone forced car keys into his hands and told him to drive home drunk. The assertion that anyone should have known about his alcohol abuse is pretty stupid as well. If there's one thing addicts are typically quite adept at, it's hiding their addiction and playing things off like it's no big deal. It's sad what happened to this kid and what his parents are going through. It's equally sad that they felt the need to drag Tiger through the mud when he appears to have rebounded so well from the mistakes of his own past.

You are highlighting the issue I was trying to get at by offering my own personal experiences.  My dad could mask his drunkenness so well, it took remarkable skill to even tell he was intoxicated or high.  He could charm his way out of most situations leaving people thinking he's just an average person blowing off a little steam and would be fine.  When in fact, he would drink rubbing alcohol or cough syrup if he couldn't find anything else.

Addicts have an innate ability to mask their addictions from those around them.

The sad part is that he parents are going to most likely receive the money. Sad. Their son had a problem. First off, if you are an alcoholic, why are you working at a bar. Clearly AA did not work for him. The kid at 24 should be responsible enough for his own actions. Should someone have stopped him from driving. Probably, should they have stopped him from drinking, probably. It’s just another way for parents to put blame on someone else for their sons issues. It is tragic that the young man died, but if he had theses issues for so long, why did the parents or friends or family not step in and help. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

With the caveat that I am not licensed to practice law in Florida and nothing in this post should be a legal opinion or advice, I thought I'd drop in to bring the actual Dram Shop Law on the books in Florida to light. 

Link is here

Dram Shop laws have been around since the late 19th century and exist as a way to find those involved liable as servers of alcohol in alcohol related injuries or death in a negligence action. Now, there's a lot of litigation as to what constitutes knowingly and other things, but by the letter of the law, the company could bear some responsibility, and as Tiger is an owner, that's why he's being roped in.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

8 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

With the caveat that I am not licensed to practice law in Florida and nothing in this post should be a legal opinion or advice, I thought I'd drop in to bring the actual Dram Shop Law on the books in Florida to light. 

Link is here

Dram Shop laws have been around since the late 19th century and exist as a way to find those involved liable as servers of alcohol in alcohol related injuries or death in a negligence action. Now, there's a lot of litigation as to what constitutes knowingly and other things, but by the letter of the law, the company could bear some responsibility, and as Tiger is an owner, that's why he's being roped in.

How would "Dram Shop Laws" work in this situation given the kids girlfriend was the General Manager of the bar in question?   I'm sure it could easily be argued in court, she gave him preferential treatment.

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I note the law suit value is $15,000 and maybe set at that to promote a quick settlement.

$15,000 is the minimum requirement to go to court.  They will ask for way more than that when the time comes.  This will head to mediation before going before a judge to see if an agreement can be worked out.  If not, it will head to court and go from there.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

How would "Dram Shop Laws" work in this situation given the kids girlfriend was the General Manager of the bar in question?   I'm sure it could easily be argued in court, she gave him preferential treatment.

Again, not licensed in Florida and not offering legal advice, but a read of the law and other people who are licensed in Florida, it's a strict liability crime. You break it, you're liable.

Also, you're argument is pointless from a legal standpoint. If she was the girlfriend, that's super good for the claimant, you think his girlfriend wouldn't know his issues with alcohol? If she's serving him, pretty easy to meet that knowingly standard. Obviously that's the bar they have to meet to prove it, but again, it's very unlikely it will get to that point as this will all but certainly be settled.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

29 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Again, not licensed in Florida and not offering legal advice, but a read of the law and other people who are licensed in Florida, it's a strict liability crime. You break it, you're liable.

Also, you're argument is pointless from a legal standpoint. If she was the girlfriend, that's super good for the claimant, you think his girlfriend wouldn't know his issues with alcohol? If she's serving him, pretty easy to meet that knowingly standard. Obviously that's the bar they have to meet to prove it, but again, it's very unlikely it will get to that point as this will all but certainly be settled.

Thanks for the clarification and explanation.  Wasn't asking for your legal advice, just legal opinion since you seem to be much more knowledgeable than I am.  

I still believe we have become a "victim" society.  My problems can't be my fault.  Someone else must be to blame.  As a parent of teenagers, I see it all the time from other parents.  They fix everything for their kids and wonder why they continue to have issues.  Own your own baggage.  It isn't for someone else to do for you.  I guess common sense flies out the window these days.

Just now, sixcat said:

Thanks for the clarification and explanation.  Wasn't asking for your legal advice, just legal opinion since you seem to be much more knowledgeable than I am.  

I still believe we have become a "victim" society.  My problems can't be my fault.  Someone else must be to blame.  As a parent of teenagers, I see it all the time from other parents.  They fix everything for their kids and wonder why they continue to have issues.  Own your own baggage.  It isn't for someone else to do for you.  I guess common sense flies out the window these days.

Understood. As an attorney though, I put it there for ethics reasons and to make clear to not take it completely to the bank, so to speak so that I don't get in trouble if anyone reports this to a committee or something.

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 5/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, Charli said:

It’s everyone else’s fault these days. 

Not true.  I take full responsibility for my golf swing and resulting scores 😁.  But yea, I agree with your comment personal responsibility/accountability is no longer in vogue.  As noted already, I see this as a money grab.  Perhaps if they donate all of whatever monetary settlement they receive to AA, I'll view it in a different light.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/14/2019 at 10:57 AM, sixcat said:

To me, this isn't an either/or situation, both the bartender and the restaurant share responsibility.  Obviously, the individual is responsible for his actions.  But the restaurant made a deal with the State of Florida when they got their license to serve alcohol.  In return for the chance to make money, they explicitly accept responsibility for whatever happens when they knowingly serve habitual addicts of alcohol.  The law makes sense, people who are licensed to do things are generally required to make sure they don't endanger society at large in exercising that license.  This type of law SHOULD deter bars from recklessly serving anyone who has money to buy a drink, without regard to what that drunk may do once he leaves the bar.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

To me, this isn't an either/or situation, both the bartender and the restaurant share responsibility.  Obviously, the individual is responsible for his actions.  But the restaurant made a deal with the State of Florida when they got their license to serve alcohol.  In return for the chance to make money, they explicitly accept responsibility for whatever happens when they knowingly serve habitual addicts of alcohol.  The law makes sense, people who are licensed to do things are generally required to make sure they don't endanger society at large in exercising that license.  This type of law SHOULD deter bars from recklessly serving anyone who has money to buy a drink, without regard to what that drunk may do once he leaves the bar.

It certainly doesn't hurt this situation for the owner of the bar to be one of the wealthiest and most famous athletes on the planet.  "Victims" seem to always go after the deepest pockets!

36 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It certainly doesn't hurt this situation for the owner of the bar to be one of the wealthiest and most famous athletes on the planet.  "Victims" seem to always go after the deepest pockets!

Of course, it does no good to sue someone who has no money.  The timing of the release was also done to maximize exposure.  That doesn't make the bar, or its owners, any less legally responsible for overserving a known alcoholic, if that's what actually happened.  I'm certain I don't know all of the appropriate facts, and I don't think the case will ever go to trial, so we'll never hear about the facts.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Not the article I was looking for, but I thought it did a decent job explaining how the law in Florida works. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/17/tiger-woods-lawsuit-florida-bartenders-parents-face-stiff-test/3699475002/

The article I was looking for was from about a week ago and (if I remember correctly) and someone made the claim that this kid left the restaurant immediately after his shift and therefore would have gotten himself drunk elsewhere. I'll have to keep searching, though if it was a completely manufactured piece of garbage then it has likely been pulled down.

3 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Not the article I was looking for, but I thought it did a decent job explaining how the law in Florida works. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/17/tiger-woods-lawsuit-florida-bartenders-parents-face-stiff-test/3699475002/

The article I was looking for was from about a week ago and (if I remember correctly) and someone made the claim that this kid left the restaurant immediately after his shift and therefore would have gotten himself drunk elsewhere. I'll have to keep searching, though if it was a completely manufactured piece of garbage then it has likely been pulled down.

That's a better explanation of the "habitually addicted to alcohol" stuff than I've seen before, and it seems to be a pretty high bar.  I'm sure that's why the suit mentions a number of occasions where the guy was drunk in the restaurant, where people asked the restaurant management not to serve him, etc, to show a history of excessive drinking and knowledge by the restaurant.

This is the first I heard about the underlined stuff, every other article I've read says he guy remained in the bar drinking for 3 hours after his shift ended.  But that could be taken directly from the legal documents, who knows.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

That's a better explanation of the "habitually addicted to alcohol" stuff than I've seen before, and it seems to be a pretty high bar.  I'm sure that's why the suit mentions a number of occasions where the guy was drunk in the restaurant, where people asked the restaurant management not to serve him, etc, to show a history of excessive drinking and knowledge by the restaurant.

This is the first I heard about the underlined stuff, every other article I've read says he guy remained in the bar drinking for 3 hours after his shift ended.  But that could be taken directly from the legal documents, who knows.  

I don't recall now where the information even came from, I just remember seeing another story pop up on my Apple News app that mentioned it. Like I said though, it could have been a garbage article that was poorly sourced and then pulled down. Naturally, it's also much more difficult to find information that would run counter to the headline, "Tiger Woods Sued for Wrongful Death of Drunk Driver"... 😕

51 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Of course, it does no good to sue someone who has no money.  The timing of the release was also done to maximize exposure.  That doesn't make the bar, or its owners, any less legally responsible for overserving a known alcoholic, if that's what actually happened.  I'm certain I don't know all of the appropriate facts, and I don't think the case will ever go to trial, so we'll never hear about the facts.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? 

Was this kid an "habitual drunk" before visiting the bar at The Woods or did the bar at The Woods make him an "habitual drunk?"  Maybe the family should add Budweiser to the lawsuit just in case!

Did his "habitual drunkenness" lead to getting behind the wheel of the car or getting behind the wheel of the car lead to his "habitual drunkenness?"  Maybe the family should add Ford to the lawsuit just in case! 

I understand liability from a legal aspect given all that I have read.  I am also fully aware of the fact that we have become a litigious society where signs like the one attached have to be visible for "liability" purposes.  We can keep arguing semantics but I will never accept the fact that someone else is at fault for my own piss-poor decision-making.  Alcoholics and drug addicts aren't victims.  They had choices!

Toilet.jpg.0ac68556c44e3ae8e4706ef652beffac.jpg

The girlfriend who is the GM is Tiger's girlfriend not the young man who died. Don't know if that has any bearing on the case it just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

11 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

The girlfriend who is the GM is Tiger's girlfriend not the young man who died. Don't know if that has any bearing on the case it just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed this over the weekend.  It appears the original reports got this detail wrong in a pretty significant way.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:57 AM, sixcat said:

.. I still believe we have become a "victim" society.  My problems can't be my fault.  Someone else must be to blame.  As a parent of teenagers, I see it all the time from other parents.  They fix everything for their kids and wonder why they continue to have issues.  Own your own baggage.  It isn't for someone else to do for you.  I guess common sense flies out the window these days.

Thank you for your thoughts, and fwiw I totally, absolutely, unconditionally agree.

A person needs to accept responsibility and accountability for their own actions.

On the lawsuit, *if* there were a pattern of negligent actions by the restaurant, then - in my mind and strictly my non-legal opinion - there might be grounds for a negligence case. But here...???

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I would imagine Tiger has a few decent lawyers working for him...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I would imagine Tiger has a few decent lawyers working for him...

Oh yeah... And the corporate entity that actually owns the restaurant, and the probably big name insurance company that the Corp uses...

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

In that USA Today article @tr1ptik linked to above, there's this paragraph...
"..Immesberger’s parents are claiming the loss of his “companionship and affection and protection’’ as well as economic support."

Quote-Unquote.

Tell me this not a shameless money grab.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg