TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Most Wanted - mid swing speeds (95-105)

StrokerAce

I've been waiting on this one!  I'm right about 103 and this breakdown is awesome...

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-most-wanted-the-best-drivers-for-mid-swing-speeds/

As we’ve done in the past, for 2019, we’re again segmenting our data to provide more meaningful information to the individual golfer. We’ve broken down our driver test results into three different swing speed categories. If you’re a mid swing speed player (95-105 mph), this data is for you.  

While overall results for the Most Wanted Driver test yield small differences – the mid swing speed group showed a whopping 17 yards of difference between the longest and shortest drivers.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Perfect timing as I need something that doesn't spin as much and slightly more forgiving.

At 101 mph I slot nicely into this bracket.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Others (high/slow) are up too but thought this would hit the majority of us...

Love seeing the Wilson D7 up there near the top in total carry.  🙂

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Awesome! Greatly appreciate the breakout of swing speeds!

I had purchased the TM M6 about a month ago after getting fit and have loved the consistency that i hit the M6. Knowing there are some other great drivers out there this year (Flash SZ, TS3, G410) I was a little wary the M6 was THE BEST (for me). This gives me greater confidence that spending the big bucks (these prices are getting bad... 🤢) on a new driver was worth it.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Others (high/slow) are up too but thought this would hit the majority of us...

Love seeing the Wilson D7 up there near the top in total carry.  🙂

I have a short leash with my drivers and the D7 is next on my list.  Hit it the other day and it felt great.  I kind of fall between slow and mid and this driver did well in both.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

The stats of Stamped loft versus measured loft on each Driver is quite an eye opener😮

Seeing the Titleist lofts in particular stamped at 9.5 but actually 8.9 can have a huge effect. I cranked my 9.5 up to 10.75 but as the article states I'm closing the face (might explain in some way my pull hooks at the weekend) I've put it back to A1 at 9.5*

Is it easy to check what your driver loft actually is?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I have a short leash with my drivers and the D7 is next on my list.  Hit it the other day and it felt great.  I kind of fall between slow and mid and this driver did well in both.

XXIO
Mizuno ST190
TourEdge EXS

...and now the Wilson D7 !?!?  and it's only May.... that leash isn't just short, it's invisible!  🤣

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I fall right in the middle of this bracket and tested almost all of the drivers on the list in February and I walked out with an M5. At the end of the day, go get fitted.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

XXIO
Mizuno ST190
TourEdge EXS
...and now the Wilson D7 !?!?  and it's only May.... that leash isn't just short, it's invisible!  🤣

Getting dialed in early this year! Haven’t even had the EXS on the course yet and the XXIO is safely resting in the garage if needed. The Mizuno was a big flop for me and the D7 hybrid is great.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Something I can't figure out...

The shot area numbers in the graphic and in the chart don't match. 

TM6:  Graphic, 2140; Chart, 2050.

Ping G410 SFT:  Graphic, 1818: Chart, 2077.

TA Atomic:  Graphic, 2,1242; Chart 2057.  (I get there is a typo here, but the typo isn't really near the number in the chart.

Any ideas why the difference?

Edited by alfriday101

5 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The stats of Stamped loft versus measured loft on each Driver is quite an eye opener😮

Seeing the Titleist lofts in particular stamped at 9.5 but actually 8.9 can have a huge effect. I cranked my 9.5 up to 10.75 but as the article states I'm closing the face (might explain in some way my pull hooks at the weekend) I've put it back to A1 at 9.5*

Is it easy to check what your driver loft actually is?

I think you would need to find a place with a digital loft measuring device?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

This one was right up my alley and it's certainly eye opening as far as the results vs. my impressions of each driver based on comments here from posters who have tried or bagged them... along with my own inherent biases and likes/dislikes.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

After looking at the data again and the comments, I am concerned about this test.  The data does not match the awards.  The guys are not responding to the questions on the test, like they do on most tests.  

According to the data, the Sirxon Z585 is the driver with the lowest shot area:  1818.  The number for the Sixron for shot area is the one listed above for the Ping which received the award for the most forgiving driving.  Something in the test or awards is not adding up.  As I mentioned above, none of the shot areas in the data match those in the award section.  What other factors are they considering?

While I am no fan of Taylormade, it was noted that the M6 has the best score in yards from center.   To me, this is an important measure of forgiveness in a driver.  Again, to me,  dispersion near to far isn't much of a problem when hitting driver, but side to side can be.  

Edited by alfriday101
Clarification

The mystery deepens.  I looked at the test for high swing speeds.  According to the data, the Ping has the lowest shot area in that test. 

Shot area isn’t the only factor used to determine forgiveness.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I had been gaming a Epic Driver that was custom fitted at their Carlsbad California headquarters. In the last 3 months, my club as had demo days for all the Major brands.

None of them performed any better than my current club. To a man, each rep said to keep my current stick.

Until Ping showed up. I gained maybe a couple of yards, but my dispersion pattern was WAY tighter.  This thing is sooooo forgiving. Most of my hits are past center line towards the toe. Distance isn't the big key to me. It's keeping it in play. 

Ping G400 Driver 9

Ping G400 3 wood

Ping G400 5 wood

Callaway Steelhead XR 4-PW irons

Volkey 52-56-69 Wedges

Evenroll ER2 Putter

Titleist ProV1 Black

Index 5.6

... First, I love MGS tests as they give you a great starting point. Most of us know that hitting a ball on the range or even worse into a net with a LM is radically different than playing that club on the course. Standing in one spot and grooving a swing is just so very different than hitting a tee shot when there is water right and a big deep bunker left. Swinging the club with zero consequences and swinging a club with danger lurking is too radically different endeavors. Here is a perfect example:

... I was fitted by Taylor Made for the R1. Truthfully, I liked the look and feel of the RBZ more than the R1 and told TM it was the best driver I hit at the Show that year. After a LM session with the Marketing Director, the R1 produced a better trajectory, more carry and roll, and a better spin rate. First round on the course I was a little erratic and figured it was an adjustment period. But it never got better and my dispersion was not only far too much, but worse I missed both left and right. After a month of trying to force myself to like the R1, I contacted TM and told them my dilemma. I had chosen the RBZ as the best driver but they talked me into the R1 after a fitting. They sent me the RBZ and my driving improved immediately and I started finding fairways and my miss was a little left, something I was comfortable playing. The downside was it spun too much and I lost distance, which confirmed the LM findings. 

... What the LM numbers didn't tell me was I would hit the RBZ much better when it counted, in the fairway, loved the look and feel which created confidence. I gladly traded a trajectory that bordered on too high with spin that was less than ideal for all the above reasons. So looking at numbers is always a great starting point. But it is just that, a starting point. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

22 minutes ago, chisag said:

... What the LM numbers didn't tell me was I would hit the RBZ much better when it counted, in the fairway, loved the look and feel which created confidence. I gladly traded a trajectory that bordered on too high with spin that was less than ideal for all the above reasons. So looking at numbers is always a great starting point. But it is just that, a starting point. 

Are you still gaming the RBZ?

Just now, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

Are you still gaming the RBZ?

... Lord no. I usually play a driver one season only and find something new at the PGA Show the next year. The Fly Z was the exception that stayed in and out of my bag for 3 seasons, rotating the last year with the BB Epic. 

... First, I love MGS tests as they give you a great starting point. Most of us know that hitting a ball on the range or even worse into a net with a LM is radically different than playing that club on the course. Standing in one spot and grooving a swing is just so very different than hitting a tee shot when there is water right and a big deep bunker left. Swinging the club with zero consequences and swinging a club with danger lurking is too radically different endeavors.

As one of the testers I wanted to provide my perspective on the tests. Keep in mind, this is my opinion and only relevant for me as a tester.

Yes, we hit drive after drive into the simulator but rotate clubs after 3-4 shots depending on the protocol they are following. We are also not just hitting into a “driving range”, we actually hit on a hole so results are impacted by hitting trees, rough, and fairway. Switching clubs does put you into a different rhythm because they play differently. I have found that I have to completely change my swing between clubs.

The other thing I experience is, just like on the course, you start adjusting your swing after you hit a bad shot. I also find that since the screen is 2d, I struggle to see distance; Not only depth but left and right.

I think the protocol that is used provides the best results on a driver per driver evaluation.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... Great info cnosil. I did not know you hit into a sim replicating a course. But even hitting into a sim, you don't lose balls and your score isn't effected by a bad shot. Your brain knows this and allows most to take a freer swing. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is true for everyone. Watching Sam swing the club into the net, I have little doubt his on course swing isn't any different. But most of us simply hit the ball differently on the course when it counts, than we do in a net, at a range or even on a sim. 

... Great info cnosil. I did not know you hit into a sim replicating a course. But even hitting into a sim, you don't lose balls and your score isn't effected by a bad shot. Your brain knows this and allows most to take a freer swing. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is true for everyone. Watching Sam swing the club into the net, I have little doubt his on course swing isn't any different. But most of us simply hit the ball differently on the course when it counts, than we do in a net, at a range or even on a sim. 

Don’t disagree on swinging differently. I am pretty sure I’d said I adjust my swing based on the previous results. If I am missing right or left, I am going to adjust. A lot comes down to the mentality of the tester; I personally try to swing like I do on the course. There actually is some personal pride in trying to hit good shots. For me it is different than just beating balls on a driving range, I do get frustrated when I am not hitting the ball well. While I try do swing the same, doesn’t mean I can always achieve that all the time.

This year's winner compared to the one from two years ago:

119555315_ScreenShot2019-05-23at1_03_48PM.thumb.png.97e244af6efa8c8b26ef4c418026e3c3.png

This is exactly the result I saw at a demo day this spring.  The M6 performed worse in my hands compared to my z565.  I'll be sticking with the Srixon for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by gbtrsc

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

10 hours ago, Crankenstein said:

Why’s the shot area so high for your 565?

Probably one wild mishit that wasn't removed from the data if i had to guess. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

One of the most interesting things from this data is that none of the drivers were positive strokes gained. I guess just goes to show how dangerous a driver is.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

Why’s the shot area so high for your 565?

It’s the straightest driver I’ve hit in many years. Don’t know why the data are what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

I'm right on the fence for this as my ss is 105 but the ST190 won for me. I was fitted on a lm inside smacking my own tp5x balls and I was swinging like real poop that day. I played Thursday after work and hot 10 of 14 fairways for the 1st time ever so I don't know about everyone's experiences here but for me it seems to work

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees