GolfSpy Stroker

2019 Most Wanted - mid swing speeds (95-105)

Just now, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

Are you still gaming the RBZ?

... Lord no. I usually play a driver one season only and find something new at the PGA Show the next year. The Fly Z was the exception that stayed in and out of my bag for 3 seasons, rotating the last year with the BB Epic. 

... First, I love MGS tests as they give you a great starting point. Most of us know that hitting a ball on the range or even worse into a net with a LM is radically different than playing that club on the course. Standing in one spot and grooving a swing is just so very different than hitting a tee shot when there is water right and a big deep bunker left. Swinging the club with zero consequences and swinging a club with danger lurking is too radically different endeavors.

As one of the testers I wanted to provide my perspective on the tests. Keep in mind, this is my opinion and only relevant for me as a tester.

Yes, we hit drive after drive into the simulator but rotate clubs after 3-4 shots depending on the protocol they are following. We are also not just hitting into a “driving range”, we actually hit on a hole so results are impacted by hitting trees, rough, and fairway. Switching clubs does put you into a different rhythm because they play differently. I have found that I have to completely change my swing between clubs.

The other thing I experience is, just like on the course, you start adjusting your swing after you hit a bad shot. I also find that since the screen is 2d, I struggle to see distance; Not only depth but left and right.

I think the protocol that is used provides the best results on a driver per driver evaluation.
  • Like 4

... Great info cnosil. I did not know you hit into a sim replicating a course. But even hitting into a sim, you don't lose balls and your score isn't effected by a bad shot. Your brain knows this and allows most to take a freer swing. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is true for everyone. Watching Sam swing the club into the net, I have little doubt his on course swing isn't any different. But most of us simply hit the ball differently on the course when it counts, than we do in a net, at a range or even on a sim. 

• Like 3

... Great info cnosil. I did not know you hit into a sim replicating a course. But even hitting into a sim, you don't lose balls and your score isn't effected by a bad shot. Your brain knows this and allows most to take a freer swing. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is true for everyone. Watching Sam swing the club into the net, I have little doubt his on course swing isn't any different. But most of us simply hit the ball differently on the course when it counts, than we do in a net, at a range or even on a sim. 

Don’t disagree on swinging differently. I am pretty sure I’d said I adjust my swing based on the previous results. If I am missing right or left, I am going to adjust. A lot comes down to the mentality of the tester; I personally try to swing like I do on the course. There actually is some personal pride in trying to hit good shots. For me it is different than just beating balls on a driving range, I do get frustrated when I am not hitting the ball well. While I try do swing the same, doesn’t mean I can always achieve that all the time.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This year's winner compared to the one from two years ago:

119555315_ScreenShot2019-05-23at1_03_48PM.thumb.png.97e244af6efa8c8b26ef4c418026e3c3.png

This is exactly the result I saw at a demo day this spring.  The M6 performed worse in my hands compared to my z565.  I'll be sticking with the Srixon for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by gbtrsc
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Crankenstein said:

Why’s the shot area so high for your 565?

Probably one wild mishit that wasn't removed from the data if i had to guess. 

One of the most interesting things from this data is that none of the drivers were positive strokes gained. I guess just goes to show how dangerous a driver is.

Why’s the shot area so high for your 565?

It’s the straightest driver I’ve hit in many years. Don’t know why the data are what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm right on the fence for this as my ss is 105 but the ST190 won for me. I was fitted on a lm inside smacking my own tp5x balls and I was swinging like real poop that day. I played Thursday after work and hot 10 of 14 fairways for the 1st time ever so I don't know about everyone's experiences here but for me it seems to work