TESTERS WANTED! ×

What can I expect?

So, let me first preface this with I am/was a baseball player.  I have never really considered myself a "real" golfer.  I have been getting serious about golf now for the past few years and it is all I want to do.  I play probably 40-60 rounds per year and have managed to get my handicap into the single digits.  That being said, I have qualified for my states amateur tournament.  I have never actually competed in this game.  I have played with my buddies and have played in scrambles but never once played a true competitive round of golf by myself.  Aside from nerves, what can I expect in my first true test of golf?  I am hoping to not come in last.  That is my immediate goal.  I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

5 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So, let me first preface this with I am/was a baseball player.  I have never really considered myself a "real" golfer.  I have been getting serious about golf now for the past few years and it is all I want to do.  I play probably 40-60 rounds per year and have managed to get my handicap into the single digits.  That being said, I have qualified for my states amateur tournament.  I have never actually competed in this game.  I have played with my buddies and have played in scrambles but never once played a true competitive round of golf by myself.  Aside from nerves, what can I expect in my first true test of golf?  I am hoping to not come in last.  That is my immediate goal.  I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks 

Not coming in last is a good goal.  Unfortunately, to achieve that will depend a lot on the veracity of your competitor's handicaps.  

If you have time, practice as much as you can on the weakest parts of your game.  If your game has a weakness, it will be worse under competition, so expect that.  When you play, "stop thinking, let things happen, and... be the ball." Seriously though, just approach the tournament as an opportunity and have fun with it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First off, congrats on qualifying! That alone is a great accomplishment. 

So, looking at the tournament website, looks like you'll at least get two rounds before the cut to the top 36 and ties. Take advantage of any practice rounds they offer. If you have a buddy you like to play with and he knows your game and can keep you loose, or you just want to share the experience with them, you also look to be able to have a caddy.

My best piece of advice is this, slow it down. You're bound to be a bit nervous and perhaps a touch on the jumpy side of things so the first few holes of the round are going to be vital. It's easier said than done but don't get too up or down over your first few holes. You have 36 to make your score count. Play at your pace and don't change anything just because it's a tournament. 

Can't wait to hear how you make out, good luck in June!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

27 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I had my first true experience with competitive golf last season. Expect to be a bit more amp'd up and nervous in some situations, but for the most part you're just out there playing golf. Your objective is still the same as any weekend round with your buddies - shoot the lowest score you can. My best advice is to not think about it too terribly much - unless focusing on a specific number helps you. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

15 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

First off, congrats on qualifying! That alone is a great accomplishment. 

So, looking at the tournament website, looks like you'll at least get two rounds before the cut to the top 36 and ties. Take advantage of any practice rounds they offer. If you have a buddy you like to play with and he knows your game and can keep you loose, or you just want to share the experience with them, you also look to be able to have a caddy.

My best piece of advice is this, slow it down. You're bound to be a bit nervous and perhaps a touch on the jumpy side of things so the first few holes of the round are going to be vital. It's easier said than done but don't get too up or down over your first few holes. You have 36 to make your score count. Play at your pace and don't change anything just because it's a tournament. 

Can't wait to hear how you make out, good luck in June!

So one of the best things I think I have going for me with this tourney is that it is at my home course this year!  I know the course like the back of my hand, the question is can I play well for these two rounds? I hope so!  I have my best friend as my caddy and he is far better then I am at golf so I am hoping he will help calm my nerves.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

1 minute ago, TR1PTIK said:

I had my first true experience with competitive golf last season. Expect to be a bit more amp'd up and nervous in some situations, but for the most part you're just out there playing golf. Your objective is still the same as any weekend round with your buddies - shoot the lowest score you can. My best advice is to not think about it too terribly much - unless focusing on a specific number helps you. 

That is great advice.  I am looking at it as if I am playing another round at the course.  I, like many others I'm sure, play so much better the less I think.  I tend to get in my own way sometimes.  

So one of the best things I think I have going for me with this tourney is that it is at my home course this year!  I know the course like the back of my hand, the question is can I play well for these two rounds? I hope so!  I have my best friend as my caddy and he is far better then I am at golf so I am hoping he will help calm my nerves.  

Be careful with your thought process as it relates to home course. Knowing a course well can have its own pitfalls if you tend to get ahead of yourself thinking about score, or if you dwell too much on what you should've done or normally do. In competition the goal is to play the shot in front of you and then move on to the next one

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

26 minutes ago, gaussman1 said:

Be careful with your thought process as it relates to home course. Knowing a course well can have it's own pitfalls if you tend to get ahead of yourself thinking about score, or if you dwell too much on what you should've done or normally do. In competition the goal is to play the shot in front of you and then move on to the next one

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I see your point.  I never thought of that!  One shot at a time!!!!

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

That is great advice.  I am looking at it as if I am playing another round at the course.  I, like many others I'm sure, play so much better the less I think.  I tend to get in my own way sometimes.  

If you have some friendly playing partners that aren't taking it too seriously, strike up a conversation with them. This will help you settle in and feel more comfortable as well.

I don't want to burst your bubble (and speaking from experience) but if your state golf association is anything remotely close to Texas.... a 7.4 hcp will not sniff at being competitive. And it won't matter if you're playing in the open bracket or senior. I'm a little surprised a 7 will even get you in the event. I don't know your age ballplayer but I'm guessing 30ish? If so you'll be competing against collegiate and other amateurs with scratch and + handicaps. All these guys do is play serious competition. All the time. Pretty much the same with the seniors. You will be a "field-filler" for the event. The guys that play and are competitive in these type of events are basically professional amateurs. Your event is probably three days - 54-holes so you'll most likely only play 36-holes and miss the cut. 

Sorry to lay out the reality... but you asked. This type of competition isn't a bush-league scramble.  Best of luck and keep us informed.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

12 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I don't want to burst your bubble (and speaking from experience) but if your state golf association is anything remotely close to Texas.... a 7.4 hcp will not sniff at being competitive. And it won't matter if you're playing in the open bracket or senior. I'm a little surprised a 7 will even get you in the event. I don't know your age ballplayer but I'm guessing 30ish? If so you'll be competing against collegiate and other amateurs with scratch and + handicaps. All these guys do is play serious competition. All the time. Pretty much the same with the seniors. You will be a "field-filler" for the event. The guys that play and are competitive in these type of events are basically professional amateurs. Your event is probably three days - 54-holes so you'll most likely only play 36-holes and miss the cut. 

Sorry to lay out the reality... but you asked. This type of competition isn't a bush-league scramble.  Best of luck and keep us informed.

Oh for sure!  I am not entering this tournament to win it, I am entering this tournament to see what competitive golf is really like.  Like I said before, my goal is to not finish in last place.  If I finish in second to last then I will feel accomplished.  I would however like to start becoming more competitive in this sport.  I know it will take a ton of work, which I am willing to do.  A 7.4 is not going to cut it, you are correct there.  But I gotta start somewhere right?!

If you’re allowed a caddy I would get ahold of any friend or family member who knows you best. Get that person who can keep you loose and let you focus.

Also...don’t expect that you’re the only one there with nerves. You just may be paired with a reverse bagger who could fire a nice 86.

Good luck and have fun !!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

well worth the experience and you'll know pretty quickly whether this is right for you going forward.

I played in a few 'serious' amateur comps where some of the 'elite' had pro size bags with their name on it, and a full time caddy. They are in a different league to us.

I would just say as you've mostly played with friends and scrambles that you will come across quite a few players who will be taking it uber seriously, wont speak much and/or think they are the next big thing in Golf. Dont let that type get to you, I did and it ruins the round but they're not all like that. A caddy would be good as it's a friendly face who's got your back and someone to talk to when others dont, or wont.

As others have said, it's not a sprint, its a marathon, so dont try to hard in the first few holes till you settle into the round.

Good luck, please post back when you've been with your thoughts. When is it?

*edit* Oh one last thing, I used to expect everyone to be shooting near par or better in these tournaments which puts extra pressure on you. I will wager there will be MANY above 80 and a few NR's as well. It's a hard game.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

56 minutes ago, bens197 said:

If you’re allowed a caddy I would get ahold of any friend or family member who knows you best. Get that person who can keep you loose and let you focus.

Also...don’t expect that you’re the only one there with nerves. You just may be paired with a reverse bagger who could fire a nice 86.

Good luck and have fun !!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Luckily I do get a caddy.  I am using my best friend who is a much better golfer than I am.  He is close to scratch.  He is the one that talked me into trying.  I plan on using him to keep me calm and not thinking about every single swing thought.  Since it is my home course, I am just going in with the attitude that I am just playing another Saturday round of golf!  Hoping it helps.  

46 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

well worth the experience and you'll know pretty quickly whether this is right for you going forward.

I played in a few 'serious' amateur comps where some of the 'elite' had pro size bags with their name on it, and a full time caddy. They are in a different league to us.

I would just say as you've mostly played with friends and scrambles that you will come across quite a few players who will be taking it uber seriously, wont speak much and/or think they are the next big thing in Golf. Dont let that type get to you, I did and it ruins the round but they're not all like that. A caddy would be good as it's a friendly face who's got your back and someone to talk to when others dont, or wont.

As others have said, it's not a sprint, its a marathon, so dont try to hard in the first few holes till you settle into the round.

Good luck, please post back when you've been with your thoughts. When is it?

*edit* Oh one last thing, I used to expect everyone to be shooting near par or better in these tournaments which puts extra pressure on you. I will wager there will be MANY above 80 and a few NR's as well. It's a hard game.

It's funny you say that because I couldn't agree with you more.  We live in a very small state and there are guys that think they are the next Tiger walking around.  One of my buddies used to play on the old Nationwide Tour, this guy is seriously the best golfer I have ever seen in person, the shots he hits are ridiculous.  He will be the first to tell you that even he is not that good.  He has said the tour guys are on an entire another level.    I guess you get the cockyness in every sport sadly.  Although I don't mind the cockyness, if you are not an ass about it.  The ones that are, I tend to just laugh at those guys.  I  

Luckily I do get a caddy.  I am using my best friend who is a much better golfer than I am.  He is close to scratch.  He is the one that talked me into trying.  I plan on using him to keep me calm and not thinking about every single swing thought.  Since it is my home course, I am just going in with the attitude that I am just playing another Saturday round of golf!  Hoping it helps.  

You’ve got the right attitude. I really hope you play well and have a great experience.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

47 minutes ago, bens197 said:

You’ve got the right attitude. I really hope you play well and have a great experience.

Thanks, I am looking forward to the experience.  

Some good advice above, I'll just add an old expression that is sooooo true!  

"There's golf, then there's tournament golf"

It is so accurate, even at my level floating between 17 to 20 handicap, I don't enter any high level events, but I do enter some where there are net flights---AKA cheaters flight...ha--but I thoroughly enjoy the experience of having to make a putt that really means something, or coming back from that double bogey to get the round back on track, as opposed to saying...WTH where's the lunch buffet 🙂 

It'll be a great experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself and the sport in general.   Play Well!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Also just curious, why isn't your buddy that is scratch playing in the event?   

20 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I have qualified for my states amateur tournament

I'm guessing this is the tournament you've entered.

https://dsga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/dsga19/event/dsga196/index.htm

The site says it's a 72-hole event with 36 being played on Sunday. If you make the cut. The site also only lists qualification of having an 8.5 hcp or lower. Certainly there's more to it but I didn't find it. Here is what I believe are last years results...

https://dsga.bluegolf.com/bluegolfw/dsga19/event/dsga185/contest/1/contestant/stat/parbreaker.htm

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

A lot of good advice above. Couple of things I have found in my experience.

-Have fun

-Fire and Forget. Focus on the shot at hand and then forget that you hit it and focus on the next one. 

-Nerves will play a factor NOT just on the first hole. There may be a shot on the 13th hole of the round for example, that you have struggled with in the past. Don't let that affect your focus.

-Par is your friend, but bogeys don't kill you. It's the bigger number that has to be avoided.

-Playing on your home course is both a blessing and a curse. You have all the sight lines down and know where not to miss it. IMO the curse comes on the greens and using past knowledge of breaks and not focusing on what is in front of you.

Glad you are participating. Tournament golf is a different animal and with every round you will learn something new. Good Luck!!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Looking at that leaderboard, I like your chances of staying out of DFL.  

If you haven't already, start playing everything down and holing everything out. 

Get familiar with the rules if you haven't done so.  If you have any questions about a rule, remember that you can always play a second ball and get a ruling later in the round or before you turn in your card.  Your fellow competitors most likely do not know the rules (although they may act like they do).  

Have a game plan, tell it to your caddy, and ask him to force you to stick to it.

Enjoy the nerves.  Regular golf will feel so much easier after playing tournament golf.

Good luck and keep us posted!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 1 month later...

So I have a week to go until my first ever real competition.  I have been playing almost everyday now.  What or how should I approach this last week before the competition?  Do I focus on short game?  What are the things you all do leading up to your competition?  Thanks for the help!

37 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So I have a week to go until my first ever real competition.  I have been playing almost everyday now.  What or how should I approach this last week before the competition?  Do I focus on short game?  What are the things you all do leading up to your competition?  Thanks for the help!

One of the things I heard over and over this past week about guys preparing for the US Open is they stuck to their normal routines.  if they normally get to the course 1.5 hours early, that's what they did for the Open.  if they start with putting and finish with putting, that's what they did for the Open.

understanding this is your first "real" as you say competiion, and seeing you are a very good player with your index.  I wouldn't stress to much.  Maybe just focus on the short game a bit, and also get comfortable with a fail safe shot, that you can rely on off the tee if things start to go haywire.   if it's a 3 wood great, if it's a hybrid or long iron, but you can guarantee you'll get it in the fairway, then work on that a bit and don't be afraid to use it.

Good luck and Play Well!

4 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

If you are still in prep mode focus on what you are struggling with. Don't vary too much from what you normally do but add a little emphasis to those areas that you need improvement. Short game is never bad to focus on. I find that in tourneys the short game can make or break you. Just ask Gary Woodland, 169th in short game on the year, 1st in short game at Pebble. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

8 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I find that in tourneys the short game can make or break you. Just ask Gary Woodland, 169th in short game on the year, 1st in short game at Pebble. 

wow, thats a real eye opener stat, probably explains why he's never closed out before after leading a tournament after 54 holes.

I echo the short game focus. I've had some rounds where the long game is very good but if you take 3 from off the green every time  you'll never get a great score.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

One of the things I heard over and over this past week about guys preparing for the US Open is they stuck to their normal routines.  if they normally get to the course 1.5 hours early, that's what they did for the Open.  if they start with putting and finish with putting, that's what they did for the Open.

understanding this is your first "real" as you say competiion, and seeing you are a very good player with your index.  I wouldn't stress to much.  Maybe just focus on the short game a bit, and also get comfortable with a fail safe shot, that you can rely on off the tee if things start to go haywire.   if it's a 3 wood great, if it's a hybrid or long iron, but you can guarantee you'll get it in the fairway, then work on that a bit and don't be afraid to use it.

Good luck and Play Well!

I second this. Be ready to play YOUR game. Don't change too much or put too much emphasis on one part of the game - especially if you're trying to work on a weakness with the expectation that whatever miracle cure you find on the range will translate to the course on tournament day. 

Also, if you show up on the day of the tournament and don't have your best stuff. That's okay. Use whatever time you have on the range to find what works and stick with it. Don't go chasing after your swing in the middle of a tournament round.

34 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If you are still in prep mode focus on what you are struggling with. Don't vary too much from what you normally do but add a little emphasis to those areas that you need improvement. Short game is never bad to focus on. I find that in tourneys the short game can make or break you. Just ask Gary Woodland, 169th in short game on the year, 1st in short game at Pebble. 

That is what my thinking has been.  I am going to treat this as "just" another round of golf at my home course.  No big deal.  

Congratulations on qualifying!  Except for my JGA experience/competition, umm, back in the 60's, I don't play competitively.  I'll be interested in hearing advice from those on the forum who do so regularly.  Good luck!!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/15/2019 at 9:43 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Also just curious, why isn't your buddy that is scratch playing in the event?   

just saw this...he lives in Maryland so he cannot do the Delaware Am, he did however play in the Maryland Am and I was his caddy.  He played well but missed the cut by 2 shots.  He mentally checked out on one hole and that's what did him in.