Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bogey Free Tournament

Shankster

How in the world do you Go bogey free and have 21 birdies and lose a PGA tour event? (SCOTT PIERCY)

Yeah, he was out played by Sung Kang by 2 strokes.

Just doesn’t seem fair.

Only one to do this and win was Lee Trevino...? 1974

Info courtesy of Golf Digest.

Link below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/scott-piercy-accomplishes-feat-that-hadnt-happened-on-the-pga-tour-since-2010/amp

How in the world do you Go bogey free and have 21 birdies and lose a PGA tour event? (SCOTT PIERCY)

Just doesn’t seem fair.

Only one to do this and win was Lee Trevino...? 1974

Info courtesy of Golf Digest.

Link below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/scott-piercy-accomplishes-feat-that-hadnt-happened-on-the-pga-tour-since-2010/amp

And the last to go bogey free was CHIII in 2010 and he also lost.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Just doesn’t seem fair.

Make 25 birdies and 2 eagles.  That's how.

Bogey-free is nice, but...

I'm guessing if Scott Piercy goes bogey-free this week, he wins the PGA Championship.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As I've dabbled in informing myself about golf course architecture, an idea I keep encountering is this: a good golf hole might permit a scratch golfer to get par all day, but starts increasing his risks the more he attempts to get birdie or better. This makes a lot of sense to me. Augusta seems to have many holes that fit this description; I think here especially of 12 on Sunday. Go for birdie, risk being burned badly.

I remember Jordan playing a round like this at the AT&T at Pebble in 2017. He started the final round 6-up. He hit 17 greens in regulation. Ended up making a couple putts and finished 2-under for the day. It was simultaneously among the most impressive and boring rounds of golf I've ever watched. He simply played to avoid every single risk, take his par, and move on to the next hole.

Again, it's not to say that Piercy's feat is unimpressive, because it is genuinely awesome: even when playing no risk golf, it's hard to avoid making a mistake. But if what I've argued here is right, it isn't surprising that those who accomplish the feat of finishing a tournament without making a bogey also often don't win the tournament. Going low demands risks; avoiding risks also (likely) means avoiding rewards.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Interesting topic.  I wondered about this back when there was some discussion about the scoring system in the fantasy golf league.  Someone mentioned rewarding "explosive" players (I think that's the word that was used) and that pars carried too much weight. 

I'm still not sure exactly where I stand on the fantasy scoring but I think that in tournament play, the players need to have some sense of what's going on around them.  If you're playing par golf all day and you know someone else is taking risks and being successful,  it's on you to figure out how to score.

Playing bogie free golf on the type of courses they play is a remarkable feat but at the end of the tournament, the lowest score wins.

I hope this made sense to someone, because I feel like I'm just babbling.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Right. But with all of those pars he was still -21... and still lost. It’s crazy.

There’s a simple answer to your very good question - the guys he was playing against are really that good. It’s why Nicklaus preferred playing tournaments on super tough courses where par was valued.

Of course any more a lot of the courses are super tough - these guys find ways to make birdies.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD