Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New F9 Driver and Fairway Metals

JM64

I recently purchased the Cobra F9 Driver and two fairway metals. Hit the clubs mostly indoor with range balls February and March. Loved the performance. When the weather broke in the midwest and I started to get out to play, Immediately noticed a problem with my balls. The thin channel that runs around the milled face on these clubs was shredding balls on contact. I have played golf for over 40 years, and neither myself or my golf buddies have seen anything like it. I have since tested various brand balls with different cover material, all with the same results. I have taken this up with Cobra, and they have been a bit coy about a problem of design existing with these clubs. I found quite a few reviews of the F8 driver where customers complained of the same problem. This is a big deal given the success they have had with this launch. I am curious if anyone else using these clubs have experienced this and are willing to post about it. After rounds where I use my fairway metals multiple times, my balls are all cut up. If you rub your fingers across the thin open channel that runs between the CNC milled face and the outer edge of the club face you can feel the sharpness. With the shallower face of the fairway metals, it’s almost impossible for the ball not to come in contact with this channel, other than a perfect center hit. The driver with a bigger face won’t cause damage on close to center hits, but high, low, heel and toe hits cause damage. I’m frankly surprised I have not heard more golfers complaining about this online. Every retailer of these clubs I have spoken to are aware of this problem, but Cobra obv doesn’t want to shout about it given the sell through on this offering. 

Maybe there's problem with the F9s or maybe you're just hitting the ball extremely thin compared to most people, I don't own F9 or F8 clubs, but I do own the F6 hybrid, fairways and driver which also have a pretty sharp edge around the speed channel and I've had no problems with cutting whatsoever.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input Mike. Definitely a problem with the clubs. Everyone in my foursome has taken a hits the with clubs and produced similar damage to their balls, particularly with the fairway metals. Interesting about the F6. I am not familiar with the club.  I also purchased the F9 hybrid, which does not have the CNC milled face and the sharp open channel that surrounds it. It performs fine and causes no damage to my balls. As I said in the post retailers of the clubs are aware of the problem. A PGA Superstore club fitter informed me they have seen this as well.

Check in with us on the Cobra Connect Challenge 3 thread (link in my signature).  So far we've all had a frew practice sessions and rounds with the new F9 lineup and I don't think anyone has mentioned this issue.  You should post in that thread as well so we know to look out for it.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old post but the more info out there the better I suppose. I had the f8 driver and I had the same exact problem which resulted in me selling the driver and sadly never looking at a cobra driver with that channel around the face.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, JM64 said:

I recently purchased the Cobra F9 Driver and two fairway metals. Hit the clubs mostly indoor with range balls February and March. Loved the performance. When the weather broke in the midwest and I started to get out to play, Immediately noticed a problem with my balls. The thin channel that runs around the milled face on these clubs was shredding balls on contact. I have played golf for over 40 years, and neither myself or my golf buddies have seen anything like it. I have since tested various brand balls with different cover material, all with the same results. I have taken this up with Cobra, and they have been a bit coy about a problem of design existing with these clubs. I found quite a few reviews of the F8 driver where customers complained of the same problem. This is a big deal given the success they have had with this launch. I am curious if anyone else using these clubs have experienced this and are willing to post about it. After rounds where I use my fairway metals multiple times, my balls are all cut up. If you rub your fingers across the thin open channel that runs between the CNC milled face and the outer edge of the club face you can feel the sharpness. With the shallower face of the fairway metals, it’s almost impossible for the ball not to come in contact with this channel, other than a perfect center hit. The driver with a bigger face won’t cause damage on close to center hits, but high, low, heel and toe hits cause damage. I’m frankly surprised I have not heard more golfers complaining about this online. Every retailer of these clubs I have spoken to are aware of this problem, but Cobra obv doesn’t want to shout about it given the sell through on this offering. 

Interesting, I had my sights set on this driver. Will not be buying until I test it thoroughly tho

I have last years F9 driver and I haven't noticed this issue, maybe because I always find the middle of the club face...yeah right...just kidding But in all seriousness, when I have hit some near the toe area on that spot as described I did not noticed my ball cutting. I will definitely keep an eye out now and report back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

The F9 doesn't have the channel around the face that the F8 had, it is a different construction so OP confuses me. There is a seam since the crown/body of the F9 driver wrap around the edges of the front of club and the CNC machined face "insert" is mounted in there. I've gamed the F9 Driver and 5 wood since fall last year and haven't noticed damage to balls (all urethane). The only question I have about this family of woods is if the milling pattern on the face wears balls out faster. It is very easy to see where the ball was struck on these faces, but it is less damage than from fresh grooves on a wedge. If you are considering this driver, I would wait 3-4 months until the SpeedZone goes on clearance and get the new model where the milling wraps around the face as you will avoid any paint chips. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 1 month later...

Maybe I need to look at one in person but from the pictures on cobras website the face seems to have the same gap around the milled face section. I would love to pick one up after seeing so many positive reviews and the price point now but dont wanna go through balls again. Maybe itll be a 250 dollar gamble ill have to take 

Yeah my COBRA KING F9 SPEEDBACK is a ball shredder anything outside of dead center. Love the 310+yrd drives and 260yrd+ drives when not trying to crush it. But man.... Even with a decent drive with any part of the ball coming into contact with the balleater grove and it makes razor sharp cuts leaving my ball with a mohawk. This takes all the advertised forgiveness out. My 2018 xr16 is 1000 times more forgiving but 30yrds less distance.  Infact if anything this f9 has forced me to have too much on my mind when swinging the club which hurts my consistancy (push/pull). Was even thinking about trying the speed zone to see if i like it as much but ive tried it on a simulator and dont get anywhere near the distance with it. I have an average of 108 headspeed when just goofin but get closer to the 120 mark when trying to set a record. Eitherway if this club didnt have that stupid grove it would be in my bag forever. 

Edited by Psychochris

Good way to practice hitting the ball on the face of the club instead of the crown or thinning it I guess. 🤣

I did notice the groove, hasn't caused any problem with Bridgestone Tour B's and I have hit a few on the top edge from teeing up very high and trying to max out distance. Had a Tour B XS last approx 36 holes before it was lost which included a couple tree strikes. I do wish I waited another year and got the Speedzone, but I haven't tested it to see if it actually performance better on mishits. I don't notice the face destroys balls faster than I lose them at an average of 1-2 per round. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

While I don't have an F9, I do have a Speedzone.  Ball marks appear often and instantly on the face of the driver, but do not seem to cause any wear/damage to the balls.  I'm not good enough to keep the same ball for 18 holes, but until I manage to put one in the water, there's nothing unusual on the cover of the ball. 

Chisag has a review of the Speedzone Extreme and the question of ball wear from the face comes up there too.  If I remember right, he has had an F8, F9, and now a SZ Extreme that all had the same face and found no extra wear from the mill pattern.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I have the same clubs as you JM64 (the OP). Purchased this year: Speedback F9 Driver and 3-wood, and the hybrid, and I totaly agree with your findings. The hybrid is an absolute star and causes no damage at all but the milled face in the driver and 3 has damaged every ball in my bag. I'm no great player so it may well be because of off-centre strikes but either way I would have thought thought Cobra would have known this. I'm just gutted I didn't read up enough about it before I purchased as I'm going to be getting rid of them unless I can find a ball that resists the cuts. Might try the Bridgestone Tour B XS mentioned by BMart519.

Bought F8 as a mother's day gift for my mom. She has recently complained of the same issue of off center hits causing damage to the balls. Must be a common issue based on what I am seeing on the forums.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

I recently acquired an F9, have played 18 holes, and hit several balls in my net in the backyard. Absolutely no damage to any balls. For all of the testing OEMs do, I can't imagine any of them would release a new club that caused that kind of damage. They do too much testing and do too much research to release a new product that caused this kind of damage. It would destroy their image and reputation. And especially in the economy and times we're in, that would be a terrible, foolish, and financially catastrophic error.

Another SZ user, no damage to the balls. Lovin' the driver!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

14 hours ago, Curtis15 said:

I have a F9 Driver and have cut at least 50 balls.  I have tried everything and it keeps cutting the balls.  I'm looking for a new driver as we speak.

When you say "cut" do you mean sliced open, abrasion marks, ???  Have you checked where you are contacting on the driver face?  I think a good many brand new club face surfaces, particularly high irons, have groove edges that need a short break in period.  I noticed some very fine remnant on my G410's during the first range session.  It was from the balls, but after a couple rounds and range sessions, went away. 

The Cobra drivers do have some novel milled face patterns and perhaps they are a bit more aggressive than most.  This is something the CC4 testers can keep a lookout for.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I have had an F9 for almost a year and have hit more tee shots low off the face than I care to admit.  I have had zero problems with the driver leaving a mark on my golf ball. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I'd be curious to see the IP addresses of all these posters having major issues with the F9 face cutting up balls... dollars to donuts they'd all be exactly the same.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 5/15/2019 at 9:32 PM, JM64 said:

sounds to me that you just need to hit the clubs in the center...problem solved.  haha  Honestly, this is interesting, I was thinking about a new 3w and I am interested in the F9, have not hit it yet, but this is good to know. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

3 hours ago, Miboy62 said:

I have no problems with my F9 marking up my Tour B X balls.

Likewise. Not a problem at all with my F9. My balls last several rounds.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

• 2 months later...

Ive had this club almost since they released and have shredded more balls then i know what to do with literally just started giving them to beginners as they are no good too me...i am noticing no photos here and the initial post was a long time ago so maybe not relevant to anyone?

im a single figure golfer and mostly due to injury i never put in the same swing twice and it leads to off centre shots, which still go long and straight but have a tag of ball hanging off and even stuck in the gap around the face ive used everything from the expensive balls to the cheap nasty rocks and they all get cut up

glad to see the new f9 face is missing this gap on the face