TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Grinds

cnosil

Did a quick Search and didn’t find a topic about wedge grinds. Wedges are probably the club that I know the least about so I am trying to learn more so I can fit the right clubs for me.

I understand bounce and how bounce works. My question is about the grinds. I graspbthe concept for grinds and how they are supposed to help you with specific shots. Do you consider grinds when picking wedges or do you just go general purpose. Some companies doesn’t even offer grind options.

I use all my wedges for full swing as well as opening them for around the green shots. I know the best option is to try them, but I haven’t found a demo day that would cater to being able to see which would work best.

Do you consider grind or do you just focus on bounce and why?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I like a wide sole wedge, intrigued by the K grind.

Which to me is odd based on my understanding. Your short game thread shows that you open the blade as far as you can which isn’t what a wide sole is designed for. Wide dole should lift the leading edge off the ground.

Though All my understanding is from reading and watching videos. Would love to spend a couple of hours doing hands on testing. Can’t afford to buy all different kinds based on course conditions

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Which to me is odd based on my understanding. Your short game thread shows that you open the blade as far as you can which isn’t what a wide sole is designed for. Wide dole should lift the leading edge off the ground.

Though All my understanding is from reading and watching videos. Would love to spend a couple of hours doing hands on testing. Can’t afford to buy all different kinds based on course conditions

Could all change for me if I get to a better kept course. But it is also why the Hogan Ft Worth’s are interesting to me, the PW has a fat sole and they get skinnier on the way up. Makes sense to me.

The fairways are pretty long here for the most part.

Not comparing us to the pros on TV, but there are quite a few of them that have wider soles on wedges then you’d think.

I remember reading when Wilson signed Woodland, they are working on a wider sole wedge for him. Pretty sure that was in the blog post.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Did a quick Search and didn’t find a topic about wedge grinds. Wedges are probably the club that I know the least about so I am trying to learn more so I can fit the right clubs for me.

I understand bounce and how bounce works. My question is about the grinds. I graspbthe concept for grinds and how they are supposed to help you with specific shots. Do you consider grinds when picking wedges or do you just go general purpose. Some companies doesn’t even offer grind options.

I use all my wedges for full swing as well as opening them for around the green shots. I know the best option is to try them, but I haven’t found a demo day that would cater to being able to see which would work best.

I always consider grinds and I always like to have 2 - 3 different grinds in my wedge set. I'd also recommend using lob wedges (58-64) as specialty wedges for shots closer to the green. Distance control on a full swing with high lofted wedges can often be tricky and inconsistent. Enough about that though, back to wedge grinds...

My wedge set consists of a 46, 50, 54, and 58. the 46 is the standard PW that came with my iron set and has a full grind. Next is my 50 with a pretty full grind, but does feature some relief on the trailing edge - I use this wedge for full swings, pitches, and chips. After that we get to my 54... Currently, I'm gaming the Bridgestone Tour B XW-1's and the 54 uses their M grind. This grind offers considerable amounts of heel and toe relief for opening the face. Typically, I would choose something with a little more material on the sole for my SW to help with fluffier lies, but Bridgestone only offers the 54 in this grind. Finally, we get to my 58 which features the same M grind found on my 54. In this loft configuration, I rely on the heel and toe relief quite a bit. Like I said before, this is a specialty wedge. I use this wedge to play shots that need to go up, come down, and stop quickly. The heel relief is helpful in the sand and with fluffy lies, while the toe relief helps with firmer, tight lies. Perhaps that's not the best or preferred way to use heel and toe relief, but that's generally how I use it.

There are a variety of shots that can be played into and directly around the green. As such, a variety of grind and bounce options can really come in handy. I think the wedge I am least happy with is my 54. I'd much rather have a "fuller" grind with medium bounce as I've discovered this works well for me in thick rough and in bunkers where the sand is extremely soft because the extra material on the sole effectively serves as extra bounce when opening the face of the club. Currently with the M grind, soft sand can render an issue where the club digs more than I'd like it to.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I consider all aspects of the sole design when I look at wedges.  Like you, I use all my wedges for both short game and full shots.  Given that our conditions vary greatly over the season, I tend to look at fuller grinds with medium levels of bounce.  I do lose the ability to open the face a ton but otherwise I am quite happy with my set up at present (I'm using the Maltby M+ wedges).

It should never be about one or the other.  Wedges are all about the full picture.  Bounce, Grind, sole width and camber all play a role in how a wedge will perform.  

I don’t think I disagree. So you should never buy wedges from a company that only offers one grind or hope that what they sell is right for you? Very few company’s really offer multiple grind options.

I consider all aspects of the sole design when I look at wedges.  Like you, I use all my wedges for both short game and full shots.  Given that our conditions vary greatly over the season, I tend to look at fuller grinds with medium levels of bounce.  I do lose the ability to open the face a ton but otherwise I am quite happy with my set up at present (I'm using the Maltby M+ wedges).

What do you consider and how does that influence your decision making? Sounds like you picked full grind medium bounce. Is that for all wedges or some of them? How do you k kwnyou have the right wedges?

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think I disagree. So you should never buy wedges from a company that only offers one grind or hope that what they sell is right for you? Very few company’s really offer multiple grind options.

I don't see why someone would settle for a club that didn't fit them - and that goes for wedges just as any other club.

For me to buy a low bounce lob wedge, or a lob wedge without any heel relief would be like me buying a driver that was overly draw-biased.  It just wouldn't fit my swing and what I need the club to do.

I found the Vokey wedge selector tool pretty darn accurate for an online fitting tool. 

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.asp

You could even take the basic recommendations from the tool and apply them to other brands (ie lofts, bounce types and relief types) 

6 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I don't see why someone would settle for a club that didn't fit them - and that goes for wedges just as any other club.

For me to buy a low bounce lob wedge, or a lob wedge without any heel relief would be like me buying a driver that was overly draw-biased.  It just wouldn't fit my swing and what I need the club to do.

I found the Vokey wedge selector tool pretty darn accurate for an online fitting tool. 

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.asp

You could even take the basic recommendations from the tool and apply them to other brands (ie lofts, bounce types and relief types) 

This is why the variety is so important.  I wouldn’t play a lob wedge that had anything more than 8* bounce.  I’m a classic M grind for my lob and its worked well since I am not much of a digger.

I will second the Vokey tool.  It is about as good as it gets for narrowing you down until you can get hands on and truly experiment.  

Ive actually taken advantage of prior year closeouts and used my grinder at home to experiment with grinds.  A lot of open face soft hand shots with higher loft wedges required some heel relief and I could get reallly creative.  One word of caution, don’t be afraid to throw away your product; this isn’t as simple as brushing your teeth.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you consider and how does that influence your decision making? Sounds like you picked full grind medium bounce. Is that for all wedges or some of them? How do you k kwnyou have the right wedges?

I consider what I ask from each wedge and in what conditions I will be playing.  Since I play full shots with all the wedges, that eliminates low bounce and/or really aggressive grinds for me.  I do not hit those well on full shots when conditions are soft (like they are now). 

My daughter, who plays collegiate golf, uses her 60 only around the green and has a pretty aggressive (fair amount of heel/toe relief) grind on that.  Since she plays on courses with pretty soft bunkers, she has a very high bounce sand wedge.  She does most of her longer or bump/run chipping with her 52 which has a full grind.

Yep, all 3 of mine are pretty much mid bounce, full grind and reasonably wide sole.  The 52 is the tour sole and the 56 and 60 are the mid sole if you look at the Golfworks site.

I had an iron fitting last fall and before I left we got to talking a bit about wedges. One interesting thing the fitter said was that the most common setup he ends up recommending is to use the same grind for both SW & LW, and then set wedges for PW & GW. It seemed counter-intuitive to me on the SW & LW part, but his theory was that for the average amateur, the consistency of turf interaction provides more benefit than the versatility provided by various grinds. I think unless you're able to get a lot of practice working on the varying shots that you hope to take advantage of with multiple wedge grinds, this concept is pretty logical.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I will echo what others have said about using the Vokey tool. Once you have a baseline you can order the SM7 Raw and get additional grinds as well. I have been using specialty grinds on my wedges for the past 15 years or so. I initially started with Ping WRX department and while they have changed some of the names of their grinds, they are all still available. Vokey has added 5 grinds to their hand grind options you can order online and they do a good job of explaining those. This is not to be confused with their standard grind designations (F, S, M, D, L). The options are nearly endless but I would say variety is important and when you find what works - in conjunction with bounce, camber, etc - it is a game changer. I need to replace my Fourteen 58* but it's so good - I don't want too. Just yesterday I got up and down from 39, 50, and 66 with that club. The arrow is a big part of why the indian was able to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

I'm sure some people just have an abundance of skill to where they could make due with anything, but in today's era, why? Even the guys on tour will swap out wedges to help them in the conditions they're playing that week. As someone who isn't as good as them, I don't see a point in trying to make it harder on myself, and I'd rather have something that will help me for the conditions I typically play in. I live on a tropical island so I guess the conditions part is easier for me than for guys who play in a variety of conditions.

Now that I've been playing once or twice a week on a regular basis year round, I know where my current wedges fall short which is why I'm in the market for new ones :)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

On 5/16/2019 at 12:54 PM, cnosil said:

I thought quite a bit more about this when I played last evening with the kids.  When I started playing, lob wedges were curiosities and sand wedges, even in blades, matched the set.  Many of the people I played with carried nothing higher lofted than a pitching wedge (keeping in mind that a pitching wedge had a loft of 48-50 in those days).  The clubs dictated in great part how you played your short game because you had very limited grind and loft options.  Now you can buy clubs that facilitate the way you want to play (like hit high flops, etc).  That really is confusing as I look at it from your perspective.

You might have to decide your short game strategy to help you narrow the field.  In my case, I play the least loft I can to execute the shot.  If my lie is good, I do not have to carry much rough and I have a lot of green to work with, I will happily chip with a 6 or 8 iron.  On stock shots with my wedges, I open the face slightly to expose the bounce and thump the ground/ball.  This is why, in addition to full shot needs, I like my wedges to have similar soles and grinds.  

Maybe it would be beneficial to actually chart you short game needs for a few rounds?  Do you have the need to hit many/any flop shots?  How many bump and runs, etc.?

• 4 months later...

@cnosil, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to use this thread to air out my frustration with my new PING 2.0 Glide wedge.  I have the 56/12 SS grind and simply cannot consistently hit yardages with it 🤬.  I spent most of a large bucket today before my round trying to dial it in to no avail. This was the wedge suggested by my fitter (and a few on the forum) to go with my G410's.  I can hit the G410 PW and UW very consistently and rarely fluff or gut them.  I don't know what it is about this much heralded Glides, but I can't make this dang thing work.  Thoughts?  Is the SS grind not the one that most closely matches the PE2 PW and the G410's?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

@cnosil, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to use this thread to air out my frustration with my new PING 2.0 Glide wedge.  I have the 56/12 SS grind and simply cannot consistently hit yardages with it 🤬.  I spent most of a large bucket today before my round trying to dial it in to no avail. This was the wedge suggested by my fitter (and a few on the forum) to go with my G410's.  I can hit the G410 PW and UW very consistently and rarely fluff or gut them.  I don't know what it is about this much heralded Glides, but I can't make this dang thing work.  Thoughts?  Is the SS grind not the one that most closely matches the PE2 PW and the G410's?

No problem on using the thread.   Are you struggling with full or partial shots?

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

No problem on using the thread.   Are you struggling with full or partial shots?

Both.  Things are marginally better if I press slightly forward but still nowhere near as reliable as the PW and UW.

Both.  Things are marginally better if I press slightly forward but still nowhere near as reliable as the PW and UW.

When I started this thread I was struggling with my short game; especially partial wedges. A single lesson turned that around and while I think wedge grinds and bounce can influence some aspects of wedge play, proper technique is far more Important. Wedges that I was struggling with prior to the lesson are now much easier to hit.

For partial/finesse wedges shots take a look at some of the Jeff Pierce stuff on Course King’s. This is the technique I have been using. Can’t help with distance wedges and full swing as I don’t really have an issue there...other than needing more practice.

• 4 months later...

I am happy to report that my Glide 2.0 has been taken off "double secret probation" 🤗.  In fact, over the past few weeks, it and my G410 U wedge have been the best part of my game.  I'm not really sure what changed other than my determination to figure out its secret (or more like my ineptness).  The time spent on the chipping greens has paid off and now I'm eagerly reaching for it instead of just lugging it around and thinking of various other uses for it - such as a garden tomato stake.  

On 1/28/2020 at 9:50 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I am happy to report that my Glide 2.0 has been taken off "double secret probation" 🤗.  In fact, over the past few weeks, it and my G410 U wedge have been the best part of my game.  I'm not really sure what changed other than my determination to figure out its secret (or more like my ineptness).  The time spent on the chipping greens has paid off and now I'm eagerly reaching for it instead of just lugging it around and thinking of various other uses for it - such as a garden tomato stake.  

I love seeing "double secret probation" in a post here.  Just lovely.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Now a topical post...

I've bounced around over the years with my wedges, all over the map.  I've used moderately wide sole wedges with moderate to high bounce, all the way to the exact opposite, Ram Troon Grinds.  I've always had a somewhat steeper swing, due to my shortish arms, but first several years in the game, my wedge approach was flatter, both sand and fairway/rough chipping; the Troon wedges worked well for that.

In recent years, my sand and chipping game is less flat, and higher bounce has worked for me.   Picked up a 14* bounce 58* Ram wedge, no heel relief, was able to use it with great success.  Now looking at sticking with higher bounce wedges, either effective or actual.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft