Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Modus 105 vs 950GH

chisag

... I made a mistake I just never make when it comes to equipment. Regardless of what you read, hear or see ... NEVER buy equipment without hitting it first. I picked up a set of P760's that came with Nippon 950GH R Flex shafts. I normally play S Flex and although these worked out much better than I would have thought, they did launch a little higher than I like. I have played graphite in my irons for so long I had never considered steel but I was very pleased with the 950GH's. So instead of ordering 950GH in stiff, I found a deal on some Modus 105's in stiff flex and installed those in my P760's. With the first swing I immediately realized I might be in trouble and the rest of the round confirmed it.

... I hit my 9 iron 145yds and can dial up a little more or less when needed. I had 143 to a front pin on a par 3 and came up 10 yds short of the pin. After a few more holes I doubled back and decided to hit several iron shots to each hole starting with the par 3. I hit 4 more balls and everyone of them was short of the green and even more perplexing was when I swung faster, I hit it in the same spot just higher?!? And speaking of higher, the 105's produced a higher trajectory than the 950's. This is not supposed to be the case but it certainly was for me. I can attribute ths to the fact that the 105 felt quite a bit heavier and much stiffer tipped than the 950's and I have little doubt I adjusted my swing to try and find the feel I am used to in my iron shaft losing my lag and adding loft at impact. 

... On paper and according to much of what I read the 105's and 950's should at least be similar in performance as well as feel and both get the typical "smooth" description form those that played them. So even though these 2 shafts should have been very similar, for my swing they were not, and by a wide margin. Had I hit some 105's even in a net at a golf store or better yet a range,  I would have recognized this right away. But since I have not played steel in over 20 years I made the mistake of relying on specs and reviews after seeing a deal too good to pass up... sigh. I re-lerned a lesson I learned many years ago: NEVER buy equipment without hitting it first. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Having tested the 105 in the Bridgestone wedges, I can certainly confirm that it is a high trajectory shaft - despite what the product page says. You'd have to be someone who really struggles to get the ball up to want to play that shaft IMO. For the time being though, I'm making it work. I have a buddy who could swap in something closer to what I'm used to though so I may give that a try if I keep these wedges considerably longer.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 5/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, chisag said:

... I made a mistake I just never make when it comes to equipment. Regardless of what you read, hear or see ... NEVER buy equipment without hitting it first. I picked up a set of P760's that came with Nippon 950GH R Flex shafts. I normally play S Flex and although these worked out much better than I would have thought, they did launch a little higher than I like. I have played graphite in my irons for so long I had never considered steel but I was very pleased with the 950GH's. So instead of ordering 950GH in stiff, I found a deal on some Modus 105's in stiff flex and installed those in my P760's. With the first swing I immediately realized I might be in trouble and the rest of the round confirmed it.

... I hit my 9 iron 145yds and can dial up a little more or less when needed. I had 143 to a front pin on a par 3 and came up 10 yds short of the pin. After a few more holes I doubled back and decided to hit several iron shots to each hole starting with the par 3. I hit 4 more balls and everyone of them was short of the green and even more perplexing was when I swung faster, I hit it in the same spot just higher?!? And speaking of higher, the 105's produced a higher trajectory than the 950's. This is not supposed to be the case but it certainly was for me. I can attribute ths to the fact that the 105 felt quite a bit heavier and much stiffer tipped than the 950's and I have little doubt I adjusted my swing to try and find the feel I am used to in my iron shaft losing my lag and adding loft at impact. 

... On paper and according to much of what I read the 105's and 950's should at least be similar in performance as well as feel and both get the typical "smooth" description form those that played them. So even though these 2 shafts should have been very similar, for my swing they were not, and by a wide margin. Had I hit some 105's even in a net at a golf store or better yet a range,  I would have recognized this right away. But since I have not played steel in over 20 years I made the mistake of relying on specs and reviews after seeing a deal too good to pass up... sigh. I re-lerned a lesson I learned many years ago: NEVER buy equipment without hitting it first. 

So you're going back to the 950GH? I play the 950GH R and just love the shaft. I came from a D300S.

Have to admit I love the 105's. I've tried many different shafts and really fell in love with the 105 for my swing. I don't like having to really go after them and it just feels so smooth. I certainly agree don't buy before hitting, saves time frustration and money but for me the 105s are a dream shaft that changed my game for the better.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

16 hours ago, WalterS said:

So you're going back to the 950GH? I play the 950GH R and just love the shaft. I came from a D300S.

... Yea, I really like the 950GH too but I am not going to spend more money on steel shafts when my basement is overflowing with iron shafts. I am going back to my Recoil 95 shafts. 

15 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Have to admit I love the 105's. I've tried many different shafts and really fell in love with the 105 for my swing. I don't like having to really go after them and it just feels so smooth. I certainly agree don't buy before hitting, saves time frustration and money but for me the 105s are a dream shaft that changed my game for the better.

... The Modus 105's are awesome shafts no doubt, just not a good fit for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did.

went from 68g recoils to TT XP 115 s300 steel.

thats a 47 gram difference, with a slightly smaller head. I found myself shanking shot after shot until i figured out eventually  that gravity and centrifugal force were messing with me.so I started to set up with the ball on the toe instead of “in the pocket”, and started to flush them. So for me,  it’s not so much as the club fitting me, but rather me adjusting to the club. I guess the lighter clubs might be the example of the wrong club, as my old mizzys were on KBS tour 120’s, and DGs300’s on my mp33’s before those. Now with 2.5 rounds under my belt of adjusting, we’ll see how it goes tomorrow morning with my new “awareness”.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

6 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I did.

went from 68g recoils to TT XP 115 s300 steel.

thats a 47 gram difference, with a slightly smaller head. I found myself shanking shot after shot until i figured out eventually  that gravity and centrifugal force were messing with me.so I started to set up with the ball on the toe instead of “in the pocket”, and started to flush them. So for me,  it’s not so much as the club fitting me, but rather me adjusting to the club. I guess the lighter clubs might be the example of the wrong club, as my old mizzys were on KBS tour 120’s, and DGs300’s on my mp33’s before those. Now with 2.5 rounds under my belt of adjusting, we’ll see how it goes tomorrow morning with my new “awareness”.

it's a pity you have to change your swing to suit the clubs, but I get that as it's not a 'fitted' club. You have to watch you don't change to much or it goes right thru your game. Been there done that, had to rebuild.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

16 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

it's a pity you have to change your swing to suit the clubs, but I get that as it's not a 'fitted' club. You have to watch you don't change to much or it goes right thru your game. Been there done that, had to rebuild.

I think my problem is that I don’t have a “regular” repeatable swing. I’m always searching for “the swing”. Today I hit a couple of beauties that were that “mizzy” flush buttah. They alone were worth the price of admission. I can still feel em.

yum

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 2 months later...

I had the same experience.  I loved the 950GH in stiff.  The Modus 105 did not play well for me.  It's not the weight, just different characteristics.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 5 weeks later...

Modus³ 105 is basically a profile very close to TT DG - pretty linear from butt to tip. NSPro 950 is rather soft in the tipsection. The feel pretty different, when you swing them besides of one being heavier than the other. Your body reacts to that for sure. And this reaction might result in very different ballflights, which don`t necessarily match the theory on paper. Modus 105 should be a lower launch shaft in comparison to 950GH, but if your swing overrites the properties of the EI profile, it might be the complete opposite.

There was an interesting interview from Russ Ryden with Kim Braley from the PGA show 2017 or 2018. Braley said, that in the majority of fittings, the shafts will do exactly, what they are supposed to do. But there will always be that odd one, that produces the exact opposite of the expected ballflight. It just happens - we are humans.

Cheers,

Michael