Popeye64

Maltby KE4 TC Fw

In for some testing is the new Maltby KE4 TC FW. If you have been paying attention Maltby has been killing it lately in their product launches and this FW is just gorgeous. If it plays anything like it looks it will be awesome. I have it glueing up with a Paderson Ballistic FW shaft so I might give it some work later on today.

This one is a 4-16°. As a side not the bottom adjustable weigh is the same size as a Callaway or Taylormade wrench.

Cant wait for this one. I will try to get some data comparison between this and a Callaway 4 wood of equal loft. 20190517_124522.jpg20190517_124504.jpg20190517_124429.jpg20190517_124427.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

that Matte finish is sweet! the sweeping elevated front portion of the head reminds me of my cleveland HB fairway. looking forward to your thoughts

• Like 1

Maltby has some gorgeous clubs. I love the M+ Wedges and just got the KE4 FDI. Been meaning to do a review of that once I hit it some more.

Also looking forward to your thoughts!

Well... initial thoughts are what a club!!

Built the 4 with a Paderson Kinetixx Launch FW shaft. The stock weight is in place and its 43" long with a CP2 midsize grip. Swing weight came to a C8. I put it up against my gamer Callaway Big Bertha Alpha. Weight fwd with a Kuro Cage FW shaft. Swingweight is D0.
After a good warm up I started with the Callaway. A club I know and trust. It's been my go to,, to hold a tight fairway for quite a few years. Took note of the flight and where it was landing,, (no hard data yet). The sound is a bit tinny but nothing objective. Hitting my stock baby fade. Great club,, can get a bit squirrelly but always stayed in play.
Next up was the KE4. Now I have not bagged a Maltby FW in a long time, since the Callaway actually. So I was very interested to see how this would fair. First off was the sound. A more muted sound than the tinny Callaway. When I say tinny it's more of like a high pitched click. The Ke4 has a much more pleasing sound. When i looked up to see the flight it was dead straight but where the Callaway reached an apex Maryland started to fall,, the KE4 would keep going. But it wasnt a low early Apex. It was the same height as the Callaway but it kept going. It was clearly sailing past the Callaway. Next was how straight it flew. Ball took off and held its line. Feel wise was just simply solid. Wasnt a feel like it was a hot face or the ball lept off the head.. just a solid feeling.
Much later in the session when I was worn out I started to hit the ball all over the face. A few heel and a bad toe shot. They obviously lost distance and the heel shots had a big fade in them. But each one would have found the fairway. Very impressed with the forgiveness. Also the toe hit didnt turn into a snap hook, just the hint of a draw.
I also threw a dozen balls in the deep cabbage,, and I mean deep... to see how it did. With a fairly heavy feel to the club it simply muscled the balls out. I was very surprised to see them get up and fly half way decent. This club does everything well but it might come out of the cabbage better than it should.
Looking down at the club it has a nice, old school shape to it. More of the pear type of shape to it. Though it's a fairly shallow head the scallop on top makes it see bigger than it is but not in a bad way.
Matby's new releases continue to be flat out amazing. I have been building their product for 20 years and what they have out now I would put up against any OEM. Without a doubt this is going straight onto the bag. I'm on the edge of my seat for the next big release, the ISO-T and I will have a full Maltby bag. If you are even remotely in the market for a FW do your self a favor and get one. 20190517_191911.jpg20190517_191932.jpgdownload_20190517_185830.jpg

• Like 4

I'm very interested in this fairway.  Any launch monitor data?  How much farther did you see the Maltby going past the Callaway on the course? 

I'm very interested in this fairway.  Any launch monitor data?  How much farther did you see the Maltby going past the Callaway on the course? 
I played so much outdoors that I didnt get near the monitor. I'll say this. The Alpha was and is a great club. The KE4 was just better in sound feel and flight. Subtle but definite differences.

Thanks for the write up Popeye.  I have wondered about the Maltby clubs.

Anyone else have any experience with this club?