Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tour Edge EXS Driver

On 6/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, ZJBogey2 said:

And to echo what @03trdblack said about the club face sitting slightly closed at address, I thought I was in my head with my grip/alignment, but eventually realized this to be the case. It took a little adjusting for me to get use to, but ultimately I think it has helped me with my club head being more squared at address.

I had to go get mine and take another look. Yeah... I see what you mean. In a static position flat on the floor it's slightly closed. I've never really paid much attention. When I grip the club - any club at address I've always regripped and squared the face. Especially with drivers. Not so much irons unless I'm wanting to manipulate the shot pattern some way.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, 03trdblack said:

I did spine align the shaft with the N+ settin

Huh. I didn't even think about that when I swapped the adaptor to the Fujikura shaft. Maybe I should have. I'm playing my 10.5* EXS in the ++ position. I guess I've gotten used to the sound - which to me is more noticeable on off center strikes. Shots dead in the screws sound just fine to me. Over all I'm please with my setup. Playing tomorrow and Sunday. 2 competitive matches so I'm looking forward to more good results.

I'm disappointed that ShotMaker is out of business. I really enjoyed playing it in my SLDR. It also affected the sound a bit too.

• Like 2

Hmmm? Where are all the Reviewer's? Perhaps this group doesn't play much? 

• Like 3

Hit their first tee shot with the exs driver and it's still going.....

Tazz
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Played 36 over the weekend. After the US Open, I’ll have a few tidbits up tonight or in the AM. 

• Like 1

Well I was able to get out and enjoy some Colorado extreme weather over father's day weekend. Both rounds I was joined with some extreme winds, rain, quick hail storm, and sunshine. That's May-June in CO for ya. 

Saturday's twilight round was decent. Hit 7 of 7 fairways with the driver!!!...but it was a new course for me and I couldnt read a green and sink a putt for the life of me. I give 75% of the credit to the Tour EXS for the fairways and the other 25% to sheer luck...or maybe the combination of learning how to swing a club at this silly little ball plus the forgiving tech of the EXS are paying off. I shot a 94 with way too many 3 putts. Round felt pretty good. The three buddies I played with thought the Driver looked awesome and kept complimenting me on it. It blew their mind when they found out the retail price of $300! 

I just got a new job that has me traveling quite a bit, but would love to take a morning off and hit an empty course to play two balls and compare the new and old Drivers. Rounds like this one really make we want to know how much of it is driver tech and how much is it me playing more and improving. 

Sunday's round was back on my home course. I have to admit, I only hit driver 5 times, but of those 5 times, hit the fairway 3x. It was a 3W and 7W type of day with the winds going pretty good. Today's issue was iron play. I kept leaving myself in my no mans land of 115-120. I dont know where it came from but I did chip in for birdie twice (fathers day present I guess???). My brother inlaw (former D1 baseball player) took a few swings with it as well. Not a good fit for him because of the length and he would need a SS staff, but he was pleased with the look. He plans on going to get fitted and hit one at the local PGA store this weekend actually because of the price point and the improvement he's seen in my drives. 

I wont be able to hit the range or a hitting bay this week due to travel but I'll be back out on the course Saturday (weather pending), with my Arccos finally set up and ready to go (fingers crossed). 

Is there anything you all want me to test out or play particular attention to in the next few rounds? 

• Like 5

I have to admit I did play over the Father's day weekend.  My Dad and I got down to Pinehurst #4 and #2 but I didn't use my EXS.  I snagged a Ping G410LST to try out and gave it a whirl.  I'll get back to the EXS again this coming weekend and get some more testing in.  As of the 3 rounds I've used the EXS so far it's been long, consistent and reliable.  No reason that it wouldn't stay that way.

Stage 2 update posted.  I may add some more info to it if I can get some additional launch monitor numbers.  The numbers I originally had were when I first received the club and my swing speed was much slower.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 8:46 AM, 03trdblack said:

Stage 2 update posted.  I may add some more info to it if I can get some additional launch monitor numbers.  The numbers I originally had were when I first received the club and my swing speed was much slower.

Awesome review! I encourage everyone to check it out!

Your technical expertise and knowledge of club making is fascinating. I look forward to reading future posts from you on all things.

With that said...I should have my review up early next week after a tournament round tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Really appreciate the kind words! I eat, sleep live and breath this stuff. 

All, I planned to have my Stage 2 up today but work and the new job have been overwhelming I haven't had a chance to really get my thoughts fully down on paper (it hasnt got in the way of playing though!). Rather than put out a less than stellar product today, I'll plan to have a solid review up Friday!

Stay tuned...

• Like 3

Stage 2 posted.

Really enjoyed reading the work of Rob and Zach.

Hope to add more to mine as I'm finally getting to play some.

• Like 1

Finally was able to get some better launch monitor numbers to add to my review that better reflect my faster swing speed .  These were taken with a GC2 while hitting a Taylormade TP5x ball.  Disclaimer, I was hitting in flip flops so my swing speed numbers probably aren't quite as high as with normal golf shoes.

Was making very consistent face contact through all of my shots in this session:

IMG_20190720_113339.jpg.1eed8603943c1208e7981813e6d53ee4.jpg

As you can see my average spin is a little higher than I would like.  Launch was good at 12.1* but if I could drop the spin down between 500-800 RPM and get it averaging 2200-2500 I'm sure I would see another few yards from this driver.  3000 RPM is too high at this swing speed.  

IMG_20190720_112247.jpg.1a663e803fd41c9d71bc723ad7315350.jpg

Shot consistency was pretty good as well.  Not too many shots were hit too far offline.  I was hitting a little bit of a pull during this session but it was consistent.

IMG_20190720_112212.jpg.f94a867a940a54dc4b5ad556a0608855.jpg

• Like 4