Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Increased Rotation

Having just seen myself in a swing video, I amazed just how short my backswing is.  I've never had a super deep rotation but mine is shorter than I thought (looks like @GB13putting 😂) This has to be costing me some distance and I want to try and get some back.  Adding some pause would be nice as well, but first things first.

I'm going to start some exercises in hopes of gaining increased flexibility leading to more rotation/backswing.  Here's one that looks pretty good. Do any of you use another routine?

https://www.agedefyinggolf.com/effective-golf-stretch-improve-backswing-turn/

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

JB Holmes doesn't take a big back swing.  Looks powerful to me.  Maybe he's trying to speed up his play.  🤣

Actually, looks a lot like mine... not that that is something to be proud of.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

53 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm going to start some exercises in hopes of gaining increased flexibility leading to more rotation/backswing.

I think sequencing/timing may currently be the main culprit inhibiting your backswing torso/shoulder rotation. I like to see the hips lead the transition on the downswing but your lower body begins to move toward the target when your arms are still only chest high in their backswing.

I’m not necessarily suggesting you change anything (I like your action), but if you insist on getting that club to parallel, sequencing is probably all you’re lacking. Specifically, delaying your lower body rotation toward the target until your shoulders/arms are closer to the top of your backswing.

Edit: but almost all amateurs could benefit from greater flexibility that allows increased rotational angle between hips and shoulders (read: greater angle = more speed). It also helps to maintain posture throughout the swing (another thing we could all do better).

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

🤣😂 might be my chip shot... 

I couldn't have said it any better than DLK. IF you want to get more rotation, you'll need to improve the sequencing of your hips. They are beginning their rotation through the ball a little too soon and you are forcing yourself to start your arm downswing before the club gets to parallel.  

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You sparked my memory or something.

My best year of golf as an adult, I used a shorter more compact swing. Had complete control over the ball.

Decided I wanted to be cool like DJ and Bubba, been a show ever since.

If you look up Dan Whittaker Golf on YouTube, he has on of the best looking compact swings I’ve seen. He has a bunch of videos on all sorts of golf related stuff. He says he hated his swing, tried to change it, but it works for him so why change?

Fwiw it looks as if you're out over your toes quite a bit, which can definitely make it more difficult to turn much in the backswing. I'd like to see you sitting down a touch more at address with weight more toward the heels

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

You could tell yourself to make a longer backswing but your body will only turn as far as it needs before you add to that resistance.

It may be worth it to focus more on connecting your arms to your torso to your lower body.

This backswing seems more out of rhythm with your body and downswing rather than a length issue.

Focus more on your tempo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

If your swing works okay and getting fair distance and accuracy , I wouldn't fiddle around with it too much. Seems like you really do whip it through so I guess your clubhead speed is pretty good. If you want a bit more hip turn , then maybe it could be just a simple fix like narrowing your stance (it looks quite wide but difficult to see from a DTL view). 

Your current swing doesn't seem to be using any pivot to create hand speed and I think you are using your left shoulder girdle muscles to help pull your left arm down.

However, you are adducting your right upper arm while pitching your right elbow just above your hip very assertively. It looks like you are using your right arm more to push your left arm down and out towards the ball.

I'm unsure but you could be categorised as a  'right arm swinger' but missing the pivot part.  Tom Tomasello actually taught a right arm golf swing, so it might be worthwhile reviewing all his videos.

Edited by Wildthing