BIG STU

Nuttiest Thing I May Ever Do

OK update I will attempt it in September the week of labor day when I am on vacation. I have the bag pretty well set and is as follows

Driver Power Bilt Citation persimmon #3 shaft which is stiff but frequencies out as regular

2 wood ( may change) 1957 Macgregor persimmon shaft unknown

4 wood 1955 56 Macgregor Keyhole shaft unknown but checks regular

Irons 2 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts yep the famous Machogans

SW Year unknown Macgregor LRA forged 56* S-400

Putter-- year unknown Ping Anser bent to my specs stock Pingman grip

Balls will be a mixture of Maxfli HT 100s and Ttileist Professional balata 100s if they hold out we will see. If I have to go modern on the ball end then it will be the TM project A or Srixon Soft Feel. Those Project As are darn near cheating they go like hell off the persimmon woods and I have not had any problems stopping them on a green. I ended up with 3 doz free and have been playing them in my vintage practice. I also have 3 new Palmer Balatas still in the sleeve. I have been only hitting short irons and putting with the balata balls since they are hard to come by these days. I had entertained the thoughts of playing my Maxfli Aussie blades but I felt it was not in the scope of things since they were made in 2000 2001. I had also entertained the thought of playing either set of Mac FC 4000s circa 1963 or my 1957 Diamondbacks but I am getting a little long in the tooth and short in the back to swing those heavy Pro Pel Shafts anymore. I played the 57s Saturday on my home course at 6800 yards and the combo of heavy shafts and the heat I ran out of gas about hole 15. But I did soldier on and finished with an 80 on punched greens. Man did my back hurt. Told the wife no more heavy stiff shafts for me. I have went back to the old Anser putters since I have so many of them about 10 in all and the one in the front line bag and the vintage bag are both bent up to my specs and identical. I still may go with my old blade Tommy Armour that John Smalls knows about. The 2 wood the jury is out on it I have never hit it. May pull it out and put one of my numerous 1 irons in. I knew all along the irons would have to be Macgregor. But 99% of the bag is set

• Like 5

On 5/19/2019 at 4:43 AM, BIG STU said:

I will ask the same question I asked there--- Am I a candidate for the rubber room?

Not at all.  It actually sounds like fun.  A retro gear golf challenge.  Not unlike hunters who still opt for black powder and conventional bow and arrow.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Well the challenge has been put on hold due to the weather. Was on vacation so I have practiced hard so far this week. Got the arsenal together to do it

Driver Power Bilt persimmon 

2 wood 1952 Macgregor Cloverleaf

4 wood Macgregor MT2

irons 2 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts

SW Macgregor LRA 56*

Putter Macgregor Ironmaster IM-6 (1957)

• Like 4

Well the challenge has been put on hold due to the weather. Was on vacation so I have practiced hard so far this week. Got the arsenal together to do it
Driver Power Bilt persimmon 
2 wood 1952 Macgregor Cloverleaf
4 wood Macgregor MT2
irons 2 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts
SW Macgregor LRA 56*
Putter Macgregor Ironmaster IM-6 (1957)

That's a great bag. I always liked the Apex shafts and the Macgregor MT2. I've never hit the Cloverleaf but I'm familiar. When do you think you may be able to play? I know weather is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, golfertrb said:

That's a great bag. I always liked the Apex shafts and the Macgregor MT2. I've never hit the Cloverleaf but I'm familiar. When do you think you may be able to play? I know weather is an issue.

Right now it is up in the air. The course I am going to play is up in North Myrtle Beach. Traditionally they get more rain in these events than we do. Plus the coast of NC sticks out more and they will get a lot of rain and all their water drains due South right to us. I do not know how well that course drained. The 2 months I worked there was in the summer during a drought. I hit my Mac CF-4000s MT-2 irons the other day but those Pro Pel shafts are getting a little stiff and heavy for me these days for a full round. 

• Like 2

Right now it is up in the air. The course I am going to play is up in North Myrtle Beach. Traditionally they get more rain in these events than we do. Plus the coast of NC sticks out more and they will get a lot of rain and all their water drains due South right to us. I do not know how well that course drained. The 2 months I worked there was in the summer during a drought. I hit my Mac CF-4000s MT-2 irons the other day but those Pro Pel shafts are getting a little stiff and heavy for me these days for a full round. 

Well I sure hope you are able to do it. I understand on the shafts - I went lighter last year for the first time for thr same reason. I'm playing Modus 105 now - they are extremely precise. They took some time to get used to but now I'm only good for swinging my old irons with Modus 130 for 9 holes. What's the difference in weight between the Hogan Apex and the Propel Action?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Well I sure hope you are able to do it. I understand on the shafts - I went lighter last year for the first time for thr same reason. I'm playing Modus 105 now - they are extremely precise. They took some time to get used to but now I'm only good for swinging my old irons with Modus 130 for 9 holes. What's the difference in weight between the Hogan Apex and the Propel Action?

Precise weight I do not know. But the old Pro Pel shafts are heavy as heck and the wall section is stiff. The Hogan Apex shafts were way ahead of their time and are lighter. The ones I am playing are #2s which is a senior flex shaft. Frequencies out around what a soft tipped R-300 would. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Precise weight I do not know. But the old Pro Pel shafts are heavy as heck and the wall section is stiff. The Hogan Apex shafts were way ahead of their time and are lighter. The ones I am playing are #2s which is a senior flex shaft. Frequencies out around what a soft tipped R-300 would. 

There's no doubt the Apex Shafts were ahead of their time. Bernhard Langer still plays them or at least did up until a few years ago. There was quite a number of guys who hoarded those shafts and played them in whatever heads they were contracted for. Great shafts - been years since I played them but I could go back to them without any issues. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, golfertrb said:

There's no doubt the Apex Shafts were ahead of their time. Bernhard Langer still plays them or at least did up until a few years ago. There was quite a number of guys who hoarded those shafts and played them in whatever heads they were contracted for. Great shafts - been years since I played them but I could go back to them without any issues. 

I won a bet on that a few years back---- We were sitting at Founders Club in Pawleys SC one day waiting out a thunderstorm. As usual a couple of guys were ragging me about my blade Macs. Something was brought up about Langer because he was leading the event on TV at the time. I mentioned the fact he was playing blade Hogan Apex 3 4 and 5 irons. I  got called out for BS. Made a $50 bet. One of the whiz kids got it up on the phone and his face dropped. I was right. I had seen it on WRX a few nights prior and I knew anyhow. Yep he had Apex #5s in his Adams irons he was playing at the time too which are very stiff

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 5:43 AM, BIG STU said:

I won a bet on that a few years back---- We were sitting at Founders Club in Pawleys SC one day waiting out a thunderstorm. As usual a couple of guys were ragging me about my blade Macs. Something was brought up about Langer because he was leading the event on TV at the time. I mentioned the fact he was playing blade Hogan Apex 3 4 and 5 irons. I  got called out for BS. Made a $50 bet. One of the whiz kids got it up on the phone and his face dropped. I was right. I had seen it on WRX a few nights prior and I knew anyhow. Yep he had Apex #5s in his Adams irons he was playing at the time too which are very stiff

What a great bet to win! Langer's bag is nuts and I love it. I saw were he was playing Hogan Apex in the long irons all the way to Taylormade RSI PW! I love it - he plays what works. 

You are SO right about the stiffness of the #5's. I went to college in Lakeland, Florida (mid 90's) and I had a friend who did the club work for Andy Bean. Andy was in his early 40's at the time and still playing full-time on the PGA Tour. He is a big guy and loved all of his stuff SUPER stiff and my friend had put a set of irons together for him with Apex 5's tipped and asked me if I wanted to hit them. I was 25 or so and thought I was hot stuff and I thought "that guy's 20 years older than me I can handle his irons" - WRONG! It was like swinging rebar - I couldn't feel a thing. My driver swing speed at the time was 112-115 but they were way to stiff for me. I know they were tipped but man that made an impression. I had a friend who played Hogan Apex irons with 4's in them and I thought those irons felt just about perfect but he would not part with them no matter how hard I tried.

• Like 2

Saw Big Andy hit one of the best shots I have ever seen and he was on the Regular Tour then. I am thinking this was in the 90s. They were playing a event at Rock Barn in Catawba NC. I know that course well ( before they redid it in 02 or so) 17 was a par 5 up the hill and he had about 250 to the center of the green. I knew the yardage on the shot. He flew that ball about 240 in the air and landed it on the front of the green and it released to about 3 feet from the pin. Made eagle. I told my wife he would never make it to the green. I was a big hitter then and never could pull it off but he did. I think if I recall correctly that won the tournament for him

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

Saw Big Andy hit one of the best shots I have ever seen and he was on the Regular Tour then. I am thinking this was in the 90s. They were playing a event at Rock Barn in Catawba NC. I know that course well ( before they redid it in 02 or so) 17 was a par 5 up the hill and he had about 250 to the center of the green. I knew the yardage on the shot. He flew that ball about 240 in the air and landed it on the front of the green and it released to about 3 feet from the pin. Made eagle. I told my wife he would never make it to the green. I was a big hitter then and never could pull it off but he did. I think if I recall correctly that won the tournament for him

That's so great. He was long and accurate - and whenever he had the putter going he was gonna be tough

• Like 1