TESTERS WANTED! ×

Could this be a ball issue?

DrMJG

The last two rounds I have been consistently over hitting my targets by  5-10 yards or so.  I have been hitting my clubs well lately and I did not feel I have done anything such as trying to power a shot more or try for a little more ball speed.

When I went back to the range for a lesson and my pro said the "added distance" may simply be the result of hitting range balls and then playing a much better ball for my rounds.

My range uses a Srixon range and I use Bridgestone 12e sot on the course.

Question is simple; in my club planning, do I just add 10-15 yards to my thought process?  My swing has become consistent and so has the result.  Not sure I want to change anything physical.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

or has the temperature increased lately?

Think it's about a 2 yd increase for every degree up.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Range balls generally don't go as far so if you used them to determine on course distance,  you are probably off.  This would be my assessment on the difference;  just like your pros.    Determining distance can be something you need to adjust throughout the year.  Adding 10 yards sounds like a good solution for now;  adjust as you see that those distances aren't correct.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I never base my yardages off the range balls.  They are almost always short.  Temperature will also have an effect on ball flight.  Base your average distances per club on what you see while playing.  If you're consistently long on your iron shots, dial it back a club and see how you fare.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

37 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

or has the temperature increased lately?

Think it's about a 2 yd increase for every degree up.

Nah, a bit but I live in AZ and temp has been rather consistent as of late. I last used Top Tracer when we were pushing mid 90s.  While it may have an effect, and, I will account for it, my last rounds were played under the similar weather conditions.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Range balls never equal course distances and all the Srixon range balls I’ve seen have been limited flight so they go even shorter 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Sounds like your aren't equating what you're seeing on the range with what you get when playing your game ball. I'd spend more time out on the course learning what you can expect from a game ball. ie... knowing your distances. Since your range has limited flight balls they should only be used for swing training really and warm-ups before rounds.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using the Bridgestone E12 Speed for the past month and I have noticed the same thing. I am seeing about 10 yards of increase on irons. I also have used the Tour B XS and saw about 5 yards of increase over my Titleist Tour Soft and Callaway Chrome Soft. So, it could be the ball is more suited to your swing. The Bridgestone cuts through the wind here in Oklahoma better than any other ball I have used. 

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

On 5/19/2019 at 1:32 PM, DrMJG said:

The last two rounds I have been consistently over hitting my targets by  5-10 yards or so.  I have been hitting my clubs well lately and I did not feel I have done anything such as trying to power a shot more or try for a little more ball speed.

When I went back to the range for a lesson and my pro said the "added distance" may simply be the result of hitting range balls and then playing a much better ball for my rounds.

My range uses a Srixon range and I use Bridgestone 12e sot on the course.

Question is simple; in my club planning, do I just add 10-15 yards to my thought process?  My swing has become consistent and so has the result.  Not sure I want to change anything physical.

You didn't by chance just switch your bag to PING G410's did you? 😆  Most of the information I read and my personal experience is that range balls, at the majority of facilities, are distance throttled by ~10-15%.  I'm in the process of trying to establish yardages for new irons and will need to factor the difference in range vs. game balls into my cheat sheet.

Looking at your current challenge in a slightly different light, they say 90% of amateurs hit approach shots short.  One of the guys I play with in Yuma started hammering me to "experience the game from the backside of the green".  His point being that, in most cases, the backside of greens are more friendly than front sides (bunkers, water, etc.). I try to pay more attention to this now and find that being a little longer works out better more often than not.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On the range I don't worry much about the yardage, just want to see hitting the yardage consistently.  Different brands as longer and shorter as well.  I also find humidity changes things some as well as the temp. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX