Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What is the best custom milled putter company <$1000 for a putter???

Tsecor

Sound off on what custom putter company your would recommend where you can get a custom milled design for less than $1000.  is TP mills the only company selling custom sticks under that amount?

Golf is cool

It will all depend on what you want,  but you can get a putter from just about any boutique company.   Byron, Lajosi, Mannkrafted, Carbon,  Tad Moore, etc.    If you start going crazy with metals,  milling, shapes, and stamping it will go up quickly. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, cnosil said:

It will all depend on what you want,  but you can get a putter from just about any boutique company.   Byron, Lajosi, Mannkrafted, Carbon,  Tad Moore, etc.    If you start going crazy with metals,  milling, shapes, and stamping it will go up quickly. 

do you feel most companies are the same?  or do you think the craftsmanship comes into play as far as feel and overall quality?

Golf is cool

I think some are better than others but they are all great craftsman.  Some will have better turnaround time,  some will do more custom; others mostly customization.  From what I have read and based on feedback from other forums,  Lajosi may be one of the best bargains.   You may want to checkout puttertalk and you can find more putter specific information and talk to the company reps.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 months later...

I am a fan of Kronos... I have had good luck with my release. There are not many long neck blades out there and this one fits the bill perfectly for me. 

putter.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I have a Lajosi it was by far the cheapest option for me. Especially being from Australia myself the exchange rates make any of the US based companies too expensive for me, exchange rates probably help coming the other way to make Lajosi putters pretty good value for money.

1720609437_IMG_4529(Large).thumb.JPG.0d61c31a8612838f1e99baebbb0afe65.JPG
262902155_IMG_4531(Large).thumb.JPG.b2925ad4dbedc666d5b4914aaf16574e.JPG

I currently have 2 Lajosi putters. They are well made and vastly underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Haven't actually tried them but I believe Artisan Golf in Texas, Mike Taylor and some of the old Nike crew, sell their custom putters for $850.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

• 2 weeks later...

I had a solid copper custom putter made for me by Kraken Golf for $575. I also have an awesome Swag Golf putter that was in the same price range. 

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

As a former player (by unfortunate necessity, certainly not by choice) , I can say with all confidence that the next clubmaker to craft a truly good putter will be the very first--and a surefire Nobel Prize winner at that.

At the end, after throwing lots of hard earned money at fraudulent modern technology, I was using my hickory shafted putter from Louisville Golf.  It was at least as good as any of the others.

And let's be honest.  When a link is over 400 yards long, wouldn't it seem reasonable that the destination hole be at least as wide as a 55 gallon drum?  At least I'd be good from fifteen feet...most of the time.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

11 hours ago, Charli said:

Kraken makes great stuff. You have pics of it 

Sure do, here you go.

2CBA639B-74A1-4CDD-8805-F95A312FEAF7.jpeg

08678AE8-E85C-49B8-BB29-6E1BE3AC9976.jpeg

7C73E031-D518-4106-B490-C3C94BD06205.jpeg

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

9 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

At the end, after throwing lots of hard earned money at fraudulent modern technology, I was using my hickory shafted putter from Louisville Golf.  It was at least as good as any of the others.

... I think the paint is chipping on your Get Off My Lawn sign again. 🤣

... Custom putters have never been about performance and I agree with you that a good putter can use just about anything and a bad putter won't putt any better with a custom putter, if spec'ed correctly. The only difference I find is roll technology inserts help on typical muni's because they put a better roll on a ball either sitting in a slight depression or help overcome irregularities in the green. On smooth and fast surfaces roll technology is irrelevant. But what custom putters do offer is a unique look and often a great feel.  Some are willing to pay for that and others are not.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think the paint is chipping on your Get Off My Lawn sign again. 🤣

... Custom putters have never been about performance and I agree with you that a good putter can use just about anything and a bad putter won't putt any better with a custom putter, if spec'ed correctly. The only difference I find is roll technology inserts help on typical muni's because they put a better roll on a ball either sitting in a slight depression or help overcome irregularities in the green. On smooth and fast surfaces roll technology is irrelevant. But what custom putters do offer is a unique look and often a great feel.  Some are willing to pay for that and others are not.  

I fully understand about spending a premium price for a unique look that the player likes.  That's totally cool.  In my case, however, the look lost its luster immediately upon missing an important three footer.  However, boomers are dinosaurs, and I, of course, have always been a dinosaur among boomers.  Therefore, my hickory shafted putter looked the prettiest to me, and since it seemed to work at the same level of ineffectiveness as anything else, going with it was a reasonable choice.

Also, a steel shafted modern putter would look as equally as out of place in my bag as my hickory shafted one because none of my other clubs had steel shafts.   Steel shafts for me equaled swollen hands on the back nine, so I embraced graphite early on, even on irons and wedges.

• 1 month later...

Give T Squared a good look.  I had them do a putter for me this summer and it was a great looking and performing putter and the level of customization was amazing.  One of the best I have in the collection and well I own a few putters.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

American Putter Company is a great 100% milled putter and last I saw they were having a Christmas sale.  I really like their headcover selection.

https://www.americanputtercompany.com/collections/apc-putters/products/american-putter-company-stainless-oak-dale-in-super-black-finish-with-weld-neck-1

Black_1.png?v=1562175311

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 6:33 AM, LakeCowboy said:

American Putter Company is a great 100% milled putter and last I saw they were having a Christmas sale.  I really like their headcover selection.

https://www.americanputtercompany.com/collections/apc-putters/products/american-putter-company-stainless-oak-dale-in-super-black-finish-with-weld-neck-1

Black_1.png?v=1562175311

Gosh, I wish I hadn’t seen this. Their head overs are great! They have great ball marks etc too.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I have a custom one from Carbon Putters that I love. Can get up near $700+ but I went to their studio in Centennial, CO when I visited Denver and they gave a pretty solid discount for coming into the studio. On the work computer but can post pics later. It's pretty high quality and feels incredible. I also have a custom putter on the way from Strokes Gained. They were running a special around Christmas time for a custom putter for $500 (normally $800) so I jumped on it. It should be pretty cool but haven't received it yet.

I had never heard of the American Putter Company but they look like they do some awesome work. I'll be keeping my eye on them for sure.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:15 PM, Quigleyd said:

Gosh, I wish I hadn’t seen this. Their head overs are great! They have great ball marks etc too.

I got the little leather pouch for my ball marker, its awesome!  My favorite are the azaleas headcovers, I'm a sucker for anything related to the Masters.

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

Strokes Gained, Slighter, and Byron Morgan are all excellent choices.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

Strokes Gained, Slighter, and Byron Morgan are all excellent choices.  

Can you get a Byron for under $1,000?
I had traded for a custom Byron (LH) that was custom made about 10+ years ago and was at that time over $1,000.
It was only carpet putted and was a definite wall hanger.
I sold it as I was a putter Ho at that time and ended up with a TP Mills custom and a SC.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Can you get a Byron for under $1,000?
I had traded for a custom Byron (LH) that was custom made about 10+ years ago and was at that time over $1,000.
It was only carpet putted and was a definite wall hanger.
I sold it as I was a putter Ho at that time and ended up with a TP Mills custom and a SC.

If you go bare bones you can be under. May as well go big OEM if you are going that route because the cost comes from making the putter exactly how you want.

I would like to introduce myself my name is Josh i am a machinist by trade i have worked in the aerospace and hydraulics industries for over 20 years i have also owned and operated a lawn care business off and on for 25 years now. This past year i decided to possibly fold the lawn business to put a shop in my garage i purchased a j head bridgeport and put in a tool and die shop in my garage because if i am gonna continue the side hustle i wanna be near home with my girls. I have decided i would like to produce custom milled putters instead of doing traditional machine work like i do 10 hours a day anyways. I have researched this topic over the years just dreaming and am ready to take this challenge head on. I am currently producing putters out of brass, copper and bronze using karma grips but i am willing to use different grips at cost. I can be contacted at joshowen1979@gmail.com for inquiries please leave any opinions also i am new to running a maufacturing operation and am always looking for tips. Here is a pic of my latest piece ( she isn't for sale this one is mine.

Josh Owens

20200125_111236_Film1.thumb.jpg.72d2d797e433fcfec90660389ff05500.jpg

20200125_111241_Film1.jpg

20200125_111246_Film1.jpg

Are you looking at doing full custom putters? Such as any shape and weight or are you just doing one shape out of different materials?

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 4 years later...