What is the best custom milled putter company <$1000 for a putter???

Our Sponsors

Sound off on what custom putter company your would recommend where you can get a custom milled design for less than $1000.  is TP mills the only company selling custom sticks under that amount?

It will all depend on what you want,  but you can get a putter from just about any boutique company.   Byron, Lajosi, Mannkrafted, Carbon,  Tad Moore, etc.    If you start going crazy with metals,  milling, shapes, and stamping it will go up quickly. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, cnosil said:

It will all depend on what you want,  but you can get a putter from just about any boutique company.   Byron, Lajosi, Mannkrafted, Carbon,  Tad Moore, etc.    If you start going crazy with metals,  milling, shapes, and stamping it will go up quickly. 

do you feel most companies are the same?  or do you think the craftsmanship comes into play as far as feel and overall quality?

I think some are better than others but they are all great craftsman.  Some will have better turnaround time,  some will do more custom; others mostly customization.  From what I have read and based on feedback from other forums,  Lajosi may be one of the best bargains.   You may want to checkout puttertalk and you can find more putter specific information and talk to the company reps.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 months later...

I have a Lajosi it was by far the cheapest option for me. Especially being from Australia myself the exchange rates make any of the US based companies too expensive for me, exchange rates probably help coming the other way to make Lajosi putters pretty good value for money.

IMG_4529 (Large).JPG

IMG_4531 (Large).JPG

• Like 2

I am a fan of Kronos... I have had good luck with my release. There are not many long neck blades out there and this one fits the bill perfectly for me. 

putter.jpeg

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I have a Lajosi it was by far the cheapest option for me. Especially being from Australia myself the exchange rates make any of the US based companies too expensive for me, exchange rates probably help coming the other way to make Lajosi putters pretty good value for money.

1720609437_IMG_4529(Large).thumb.JPG.0d61c31a8612838f1e99baebbb0afe65.JPG
262902155_IMG_4531(Large).thumb.JPG.b2925ad4dbedc666d5b4914aaf16574e.JPG

I currently have 2 Lajosi putters. They are well made and vastly underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...

I had a solid copper custom putter made for me by Kraken Golf for $575. I also have an awesome Swag Golf putter that was in the same price range. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ping G410 Plus VA Composites VYLYN 55 Four

Taylormade SIM 3 Wood Project X Riptide 60 Stiff

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood

PXG 0211 4-Gap True Temper Elevate Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* 58* AWT 2.0 Wedge

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

As a former player (by unfortunate necessity, certainly not by choice) , I can say with all confidence that the next clubmaker to craft a truly good putter will be the very first--and a surefire Nobel Prize winner at that.

At the end, after throwing lots of hard earned money at fraudulent modern technology, I was using my hickory shafted putter from Louisville Golf.  It was at least as good as any of the others.

And let's be honest.  When a link is over 400 yards long, wouldn't it seem reasonable that the destination hole be at least as wide as a 55 gallon drum?  At least I'd be good from fifteen feet...most of the time.

Edited by NiftyNiblick
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Charli said:

Kraken makes great stuff. You have pics of it 

Sure do, here you go.

2CBA639B-74A1-4CDD-8805-F95A312FEAF7.jpeg

08678AE8-E85C-49B8-BB29-6E1BE3AC9976.jpeg

7C73E031-D518-4106-B490-C3C94BD06205.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ping G410 Plus VA Composites VYLYN 55 Four

Taylormade SIM 3 Wood Project X Riptide 60 Stiff

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood

PXG 0211 4-Gap True Temper Elevate Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* 58* AWT 2.0 Wedge

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

9 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

At the end, after throwing lots of hard earned money at fraudulent modern technology, I was using my hickory shafted putter from Louisville Golf.  It was at least as good as any of the others.

... I think the paint is chipping on your Get Off My Lawn sign again. 🤣

... Custom putters have never been about performance and I agree with you that a good putter can use just about anything and a bad putter won't putt any better with a custom putter, if spec'ed correctly. The only difference I find is roll technology inserts help on typical muni's because they put a better roll on a ball either sitting in a slight depression or help overcome irregularities in the green. On smooth and fast surfaces roll technology is irrelevant. But what custom putters do offer is a unique look and often a great feel.  Some are willing to pay for that and others are not.  

• Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think the paint is chipping on your Get Off My Lawn sign again. 🤣

... Custom putters have never been about performance and I agree with you that a good putter can use just about anything and a bad putter won't putt any better with a custom putter, if spec'ed correctly. The only difference I find is roll technology inserts help on typical muni's because they put a better roll on a ball either sitting in a slight depression or help overcome irregularities in the green. On smooth and fast surfaces roll technology is irrelevant. But what custom putters do offer is a unique look and often a great feel.  Some are willing to pay for that and others are not.  

I fully understand about spending a premium price for a unique look that the player likes.  That's totally cool.  In my case, however, the look lost its luster immediately upon missing an important three footer.  However, boomers are dinosaurs, and I, of course, have always been a dinosaur among boomers.  Therefore, my hickory shafted putter looked the prettiest to me, and since it seemed to work at the same level of ineffectiveness as anything else, going with it was a reasonable choice.

Also, a steel shafted modern putter would look as equally as out of place in my bag as my hickory shafted one because none of my other clubs had steel shafts.   Steel shafts for me equaled swollen hands on the back nine, so I embraced graphite early on, even on irons and wedges.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Give T Squared a good look.  I had them do a putter for me this summer and it was a great looking and performing putter and the level of customization was amazing.  One of the best I have in the collection and well I own a few putters.

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

American Putter Company is a great 100% milled putter and last I saw they were having a Christmas sale.  I really like their headcover selection.

https://www.americanputtercompany.com/collections/apc-putters/products/american-putter-company-stainless-oak-dale-in-super-black-finish-with-weld-neck-1

Black_1.png?v=1562175311

• Like 1

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 6:33 AM, LakeCowboy said:

American Putter Company is a great 100% milled putter and last I saw they were having a Christmas sale.  I really like their headcover selection.

https://www.americanputtercompany.com/collections/apc-putters/products/american-putter-company-stainless-oak-dale-in-super-black-finish-with-weld-neck-1

Black_1.png?v=1562175311

Gosh, I wish I hadn’t seen this. Their head overs are great! They have great ball marks etc too.

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I have a custom one from Carbon Putters that I love. Can get up near $700+ but I went to their studio in Centennial, CO when I visited Denver and they gave a pretty solid discount for coming into the studio. On the work computer but can post pics later. It's pretty high quality and feels incredible. I also have a custom putter on the way from Strokes Gained. They were running a special around Christmas time for a custom putter for $500 (normally $800) so I jumped on it. It should be pretty cool but haven't received it yet.

I had never heard of the American Putter Company but they look like they do some awesome work. I'll be keeping my eye on them for sure.