Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What should I do?

I’ve finally talked myself into getting a new set of irons and wedges this year. I’m interested in Mizuno irons and also the ft worth irons from Ben Hogan. I want to get fit for irons but that’s not really possible if I decide to go with the Hogan’s. I can probably order a set of irons and wedges from hogan for the same price as the Mizuno irons by themselves but what good would that do me if they aren’t really the right fit? What do you guys suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you are looking for what’s best for your game, go get fit without any biases towards brands. Get the fitters recommendation and then decide. While you can choose brands before getting fit, it is best to be open to everything. I have been surprised by a fitting more than once. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Hogan can customize your irons to your specs - swingweight, lie, length, etc. Their shaft options cover a pretty wide range - you would probably be able to see which of their offerings best fits you in a fitting. You can also try a couple of irons, bent to your specs, for two weeks for about $20. 

It's a little different, but if you're confident in the fitting, it's an option. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have been club champion fitting once. The fitters and process was good. They build clubs for you if you choose to buy there. With their clubs they match everything and are very detailed but with that comes a pretty stiff price. You can take the specs and order anywhere though. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I've been fit by club champion back in 2006.  YES pricey is a key word but very detailed and thorough.  Their build process is second to none.  Specs will be absolutely spot on and you can bring it all back every year for a free spec check/loft/lie adjustment but to get that FREE it costs an arm and a leg.  I'm going to get fit by club champion this winter once their annual 50% off deal comes in November/December.  My plan is to request to only try the stock offerings from the companies I'm interested in.  Yes I'll try everything but if the numbers on a project x evenflow black 75 that comes stock in ping/callaway/titliest/tour edge equals the performance of some 400-500 dollar one off shaft I ain't buying it.  My entire life I've played dynamic gold s300 and x100's so I'd be willing to try others but that's my starting point s300, s400 and x100 - again - hard to imaging another iron shaft feeling better and going further with tighter dispersion for a 30/club upcharge LOL it better go a lot better.

No experience with GolfTec but I read good things and they're highly rated nation wide.  I'm sure it all comes down to who you get and what you want.  I'd love to hear others experience with Golftec.  I'm interested in a full bag fitting at club champion - if they whip out a 7 iron, hit 5 balls on a lie board and call it done I'll immediately ask for my money back.  I'm told by the top fitters - lie boards tells lies AND i'm interested in or hoping I can get fit for a full bag, buy the stuff thru them getting stock shafts or no charge special order (not interested in 3500 sets of irons which they claim is all special shaft upcharges, etc) but I'd hope once all 4-pw is in hand, they'll swing weight all of them and have me rehit all of them.  I mean using their methodology of their stuff is better and more exact, etc - why am I to assume whomever decided on xyz degree of standard lie -  so you're 1 up with a 7 iron, how does that translate to being 1 up thru the whole set?  isn't someone somewhere standard for 4,5,6, 1 up in 7 and 8, 2 up in 9 and PW, standard in wedges, etc....when paying for exacting stuff I'd hate to hit on a lie board 5 shots and call it 1 up.  That's every fitting ever at any big box store for free instead of the best fitter in the country at 350/bag that will not go towards clubs purchased.  LOL. 

I believe strongly in fitting but every thing you've ever read about fitting talks about it like you're going to get fit like the pros and the pros are fit, then the clubs adjusted, then fit again to ensure it works! and then tweaked club by club over 100's of shots on each iron and then tweaked again.  So I'm expecting that treatment - fit, buy clubs, come back, get reassurance it was correct and maybe tweaked club by club - if not I'll raise absolute hell because I'm draining my bank account to buy these clubs.

I'm budgeting: 1100 - 5-PW for irons, 250 for 4 iron replacement (game improvement or driving iron type), 499-driver, 299 - 3 wood, 1 hybrid at 250 (maybe), putter -hopefully adjusting one I have already or I'll have 250 to spend, 150/wedge x 3 = = totaling 2848 but I'll have exactly $3,000 and not one dime more - this will be the largest purchase for just myself outside a house and car - which are for the family anyway.  I'm saving 50/week for 52 weeks= 2600 plus the remaining being asked for as xmas gifts - cash towards clubs AND maybe dipping into debt on a credit card.

I haven't bought irons since 2005.  I woods from 2016 I bought used and wedges I got to test last year - so I'm long overdue and I understand its a ton of money (at least for me).  Even though i'm saving it feels stupid as hell to spend this entire amount on clubs but I think it will really benefit me in the long run as I'll be happy knowing they fit exactly to me and my game.

whomever you go with please share your experiences here 🙂

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

21 hours ago, LoganT said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Do either of you have experience with club champion or GolfTEC. I think those are going to be the best options for club fitting in my area.

I was fit for a driver by Club Champion just this year.  The process is very detailed.  You will love it.  Be warned though, they will want to build you a set of irons probably for close to $2,000.  They will have you in high end shafts, custom grips etc etc

They wanted to order me an Epic Sub Zero with upgraded shaft for the low low price of 1100, ummmmm no.  So I agree, get the specs and order directly from the company or your local golf shop.  Just make sure when you go to Club Champion that you tell them you want to hit stock shafts like the Nippon Modus or Proj X or Tru Tempr.  They will give you a print out at the end of everything they recommend, loft, lie club head and shaft.  I have Mizuno irons and they are amazing!  That being said, don't go in thinking small.  Hit every head you can and don't worry about brand.  The numbers won't lie.  Have fun!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

22 hours ago, LoganT said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Do either of you have experience with club champion or GolfTEC. I think those are going to be the best options for club fitting in my area.

Golftec near me did my fitting and were awesome! They spend the time with you and have a lot of options. Most will match pricing of anywhere else

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On 5/20/2019 at 7:09 PM, LoganT said:

I’ve finally talked myself into getting a new set of irons and wedges this year. I’m interested in Mizuno irons and also the ft worth irons from Ben Hogan. I want to get fit for irons but that’s not really possible if I decide to go with the Hogan’s. I can probably order a set of irons and wedges from hogan for the same price as the Mizuno irons by themselves but what good would that do me if they aren’t really the right fit? What do you guys suggest?

Simple answer, go with the PING G410's 😉.  I simply would not invest in a new set of irons without having been fit - and preferably having hit the clubs and shafts of interest as part of that evaluation. The technology offers so much valuable information about your swing mechanics and resultant ball flight that it just seems silly not to take advantage of it.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I went to Club Champion this winter to try the bag fitting.  Not necessarily looking for new irons and it was determined that my set I bought early in 2018 was still fit properly and among the top 3 for me.  It was a fair experience and I would say that I found it better for my driver fitting than if I were really going to look at irons. Don't get me wrong, for irons it was still a good experience, but not worth the extra $$$ spent if I were only looking at irons.  

When i did get my Mizuno irons last year - I went through a golf shop that is it's own entity within a golf course in my area.  They are very knowledgeable and set me up on a track man for all my data and I went through a couple different heads and many shaft options to ensure I ended up with the best and most consistent set for my game.

I would also add that my experience allowed me to actually hit balls outdoors and see the ball flight.  If you can do this, I highly recommend it as that truly gives you the best idea in my opinion of what will work.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

When i did get my Mizuno irons last year - I went through a golf shop that is it's own entity within a golf course in my area.  They are very knowledgeable and set me up on a track man for all my data and I went through a couple different heads and many shaft options to ensure I ended up with the best and most consistent set for my game.
I would also add that my experience allowed me to actually hit balls outdoors and see the ball flight.  If you can do this, I highly recommend it as that truly gives you the best idea in my opinion of what will work.  

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this option. One of the courses in my hometown can also do this for me. I think they primarily have Mizuno irons for fitting but I believe they may have a few other brands as well. Thanks for bringing this up because otherwise I would have bypassed them.

1 hour ago, LoganT said:

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this option. One of the courses in my hometown can also do this for me. I think they primarily have Mizuno irons for fitting but I believe they may have a few other brands as well. Thanks for bringing this up because otherwise I would have bypassed them.

You got it - one other thing I forgot to mention was that I was able to get a fairly good deal by ordering this way as well.  I bought the set in February of 2018 right when they came out and got them for $800.  You might try and negotiate and see where it gets you.  Maybe they won't budge on price but could throw in a wedge or something.

Also another notch for Mizuno - you could order just about any iron shaft and grips for no upcharge.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Another option aside from courses that have shops is some driving ranges have shops that are brand agnostic and have the tech for a top fitting. Issue with courses is usually they only have whatever the pro is signed up for. So the pro plays Titleist then all they have a fitting cart for is that brand. Just another idea for ya to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I decided to go ahead and get fit today and boy was I surprised at how different the results were with new clubs versus what I currently play. I went to my local club and got fitted by the pro there who is very knowledgeable about fitting might I add. I was torn between getting fit for Mizuno irons and just ordering a set from Ben Hogan. After going through the Mizuno fitting I couldn’t be happier. I was fitted for the jpx 919 tour irons 3-pw with project x 6.5 shafts and 0.5 flat lie angles. It was amazing to me just how much better I hit the ball with the correct shafts and lie angles versus my current set. I ended up ordering the irons along with a set of the s18 wedges in 50,54,58 degrees. I also got fit for a driver while I was there but I’m not completely sold on it yet so I’ll look around before making up my mind on that. Thanks again to all of you who responded and for all of your recommendations. I am now a true believer in getting fit for golf equipment.

11 hours ago, LoganT said:

Update: I decided to go ahead and get fit today and boy was I surprised at how different the results were with new clubs versus what I currently play. I went to my local club and got fitted by the pro there who is very knowledgeable about fitting might I add. I was torn between getting fit for Mizuno irons and just ordering a set from Ben Hogan. After going through the Mizuno fitting I couldn’t be happier. I was fitted for the jpx 919 tour irons 3-pw with project x 6.5 shafts and 0.5 flat lie angles. It was amazing to me just how much better I hit the ball with the correct shafts and lie angles versus my current set. I ended up ordering the irons along with a set of the s18 wedges in 50,54,58 degrees. I also got fit for a driver while I was there but I’m not completely sold on it yet so I’ll look around before making up my mind on that. Thanks again to all of you who responded and for all of your recommendations. I am now a true believer in getting fit for golf equipment.

Nothing beats Mizuno irons!  You will love them for years to come.  Now with the driver...do the same thing.  Go get fitted.  Try all the different heads and shafts out there and take your time with it.  It will pay off in the end!  Enjoy

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"