TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where to stand on tee box and greens?

pulledabill

Played in a tourny yesterday with 3 others golfers in my group. At the first box I stood  Id guess 15 feet behind one of them. Normaly I stand by carts and stay still but it was a right dog leg so I stood there to spot as needed.I was politely but sternly asked to not stand there. Fair enough.  We agreed to play ready golf but birdies and better honored. Next hole another guy birdies and of course picky where I stand dude doent honor it and tees first on every hole until sometime late in round. He never did honor a thing, always walking out in front, and off and running as soon as he hits or holes outs.

Around our 5th hole or so I was 30 to 40 feet away from him, direct opposite of hole but apparrently me standing in his line as again I was politely but sternly asked to move. Hmmm..Is that not okay?  I thought I was more than far enough away I never questioned it. At that point with his off and running, kind of rude attitude, his lack of etiquette. spending so much time over every putt that we thougt he was falling asleep, and in general overall being a jack $%#, I was done with him. I did offert o haul him and his pull cart from the back of the course and to the clubhouse when I didnt really want to. 

Oh, and since he used to be a member to tbis course, Id like to say thanks or all the local knowledge you offered up..not

Makes me re-think where I stand at times when Id like to think Im courteous and respectful ont he course . 

He ran off after the tourny..not sure why. 

Edited by pulledabill

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I've played with a few of those guys.  They're a real PITA and definitely not worth losing sleep over.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

First and foremost, never let a rude ******* force you to re-think your etiquette habits.  When its the good guys that repeatedly ask you to move, then its time to re-think your habits.

On the other hand, we're all different in what we prefer.  I have my own quirks, places where I prefer to have people not stand, and I'll politely ask people to move at times.  Close to the extension of my intended line, I'd rather not have you there, at least not with 4 or 5 yards.  Sometimes I'll catch a little movement out of the corner of my eye, and ask the person to move a bit.  As long as the request is made politely, I'm happy to honor anyone else's preferences too.    

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I try to be conscious of where I am standing, but sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I am trying to accomplish that I lose track. I am more than ok with people correcting me in those moments as it's never intentional. I used to play in a league with a guy that was a Vietnam vet and he really, really didn't like when people stood directly behind him within about 30 feet - it kind of freaked him out when he could sense your presence but not see you.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Yea, I suppose people have reasons that arent golf related. For me just stay still, stay quiet, and not so close I feel my swing is impeded.  

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Put it down to "this one guy"......most of us are normal...whatever that is lol

I had a guy almost fall out with me when I was 80 yds in front of him, and well to the side almost in the trees, when he thinned his iron shot 120yds, then blamed me for being in his sight.

Needless to say these types will find any excuse, and the fact they cant blame the trees, birds tweeting, rustling animals, aeroplanes 3 miles up etc etc means they can only blame you.

I don't play with that guy again, and hopefully you wont either.

Don't change, you sound a respectful person that knows etiquette far better than he does.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

This is always a funny topic for me because I am definitely an outlier when it comes to these type things. Moving, talking, standing behind or in front of my line, etc ......... I really don’t care in the least. If Tom Brady can throw a football that hits a guy running full speed fifty yards away while 90,000 fans scream at the top of their lungs and 300lbs killers are trying to smash him theeeeeeeeeen I am certainly ok with the behaviors you’ve mentioned. Hell I often talk mid swing while putting. I learned long ago whispering “sugar pussy” just before I hit the ball calms my nerves ;)

From a golf etiquette stance...... stand out of the direct view front and back of the person hitting the ball. Don’t fidget with objects and stand quietly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Next time just say “nah, I’m good.” I can’t add anything because all these guys hit the bullet points.

Sorry you were stuck with such a DB.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’d have to ask all of the patrons to move on 18 at Augusta. Not because it distracts me, but for their own safety.

I’ve run across some guys like this, it’s when they yell at you that you didn’t see their ball after they tell you to move that makes it even more interesting.

Like the others said. Don’t let that jackwagon ruin your day. Ain’t worth it.

I'd wager most of us in the forum... certainly the most active members follow good etiquette. Personally, I never stand anywhere directly behind someone making a shot or taking a stroke. Unless asked.... like in "please help me watch this tee shot".  You can generally never go wrong if you'll stand off to the side and slightly back of anyone make a stroke. There's plenty of room on a golf course to give a man some space.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I can chunk a shot no matter where people are standing, so I generally don't notice unless I feel like I'm going to hit them somehow.  I almost always want people where they can see from the tee because I'm likely to not see the ball even if it's hit perfectly and I get tired of losing balls out in the fairway.  

I played with a guy this weekend that I would have liked to stand approximately 2500 miles away, but that was a whole different story!

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I like when they stand close and behind - it gives me an excuse for a bad shot. 🙂

Seriously everyone has hit the salient points.  It wasn't you, it was him, you went out of your way to be kind, that's all that you can do. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Im sure his perspective would be different. Wouldnt surprise if he isnt a MGS actually. I wish Id spoken up after he walked in front of me for the 10th time while I was hitting from fairway. Not that it bothered my shot, more of a just because at that point.

Turn the page.....

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

As a lefty, it’s common place for most everyone to be standing behind me while I swing. I don’t care if people are talking or moving around, just keep doing what you are doing. I know when I take my stance over the ball what is goin on, so I just tell the guys to keep on with what they are doing. I did have a guy in interclub to me to move once. The funny part is that it was the same place we all stood while everyone else got the tee shot, including him. We didn’t move. We were like what ever. He was a right and we were 20 feet to the back of the tee box and off to the right side, so we weren’t anywhere near being in his way. It was the weirdest complaint about where to stand I’ve ever been a part of. Yes, he was a jerk about it. Didn’t matter though, we kicked their butt that day. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Nothing to add except this more positive story. A guy thought I was a caddy at one of the local private clubs because I always was standing in the "right place" on tee shots and putts when we played together. I wasn't, I just just a young kid standing where it made sense. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I tend to stand off to the backside and out of the swing path, whether a righty or lefty is swinging the sticks. Or putting, for that matter. I stay still and remain quiet once they're set up over the ball before their takeaway to give them the courtesy of a quiet thought before taking the club pack or making their putting stroke, despite the noise that might be coming from other fairways, greens or tee boxes. When I park the cart on the fairway, again, I try to be on their backside so the cart isn't in their line of view at address. If people are chatty on the tee box when I'm setting up, I just take a bit longer till they get the hint to shut it ! lol. I'm pretty chill to golf with, but I most often play with friends who share the same courtesies for each other and I've yet to throw a club at one of my golf mates for poor manners. 😁

Edited by ward

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway B21 9.5 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / 3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Hybrid: Callway BB Alpha 815 @ 20 Degrees / Speeder 865 Shaft / Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 08 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 08 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Odyssey.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C130.
Carry Bag: Big Max.

I find it hilarious when people have these weird quirks. Almost embarrassed for them. Like me being behind you is going to change your ball strike. You’re a 15 handicap you suck. But I never stand directly behind (driving/irons) or in front of while putting past the pin. Probably just habit at this point 

Played in a tourny yesterday with 3 others golfers in my group. At the first box I stood  Id guess 15 feet behind one of them. Normaly I stand by carts and stay still but it was a right dog leg so I stood there to spot as needed.I was politely but sternly asked to not stand there. Fair enough.  We agreed to play ready golf but birdies and better honored. Next hole another guy birdies and of course picky where I stand dude doent honor it and tees first on every hole until sometime late in round. He never did honor a thing, always walking out in front, and off and running as soon as he hits or holes outs.
Around our 5th hole or so I was 30 to 40 feet away from him, direct opposite of hole but apparrently me standing in his line as again I was politely but sternly asked to move. Hmmm..Is that not okay?  I thought I was more than far enough away I never questioned it. At that point with his off and running, kind of rude attitude, his lack of etiquette. spending so much time over every putt that we thougt he was falling asleep, and in general overall being a jack $%#, I was done with him. I did offert o haul him and his pull cart from the back of the course and to the clubhouse when I didnt really want to. 
Oh, and since he used to be a member to tbis course, Id like to say thanks or all the local knowledge you offered up..not
Makes me re-think where I stand at times when Id like to think Im courteous and respectful ont he course . 
He ran off after the tourny..not sure why. 

Forget him, played with a few of these jerks so know where you’re coming from. There’s always that 10% that think their better than everyone.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list