TESTERS WANTED! ×

What gear would you buy at an on-course Pro Shop?

Strange question for everyone... What sort of gear would you purchase from an on-course pro shop? I don't mean the usual, Balls, Gloves, Poker Chip, etc... but more so, like putters, wedges, bags, tech gear, etc... I think for far too long, most pro shops are stuck in the "brick and mortar" days of offering only a few things and higher margins (like $30 balls for $10 a sleeve or a $50 pair of shoes for $150) and that scares most of us off from them. I would love to hear a top 5 in things you would love to have offered at a local course pro shop - as well as anything unique that your pro shop offers.

1) Rangefinders and Batteries for them - I don't know that I would need a $450 Garmin model, but having a Precision Plus model on the shelf might be nice - and those batteries!
2) Practice Aids - Nothing like hitting the local pro up for a lesson and having him use a special tool that fixes an issue. Now, if I could just get that tool for use AFTER the lesson!
3) Cart Accessories - ClicGear is the big dog here, but it's nice to be able to get a GPS holder or a Rangefinder bag when you need it instead of waiting to order one.
4) Yardage Book - It's a one time expense for the course to have the mapping done, but what a great thing to sell to the general public for your course - a professional yardage book with green chart.
5) Logo Headcovers - I don't know when these became a thing, but I was recently at an upper-scale course that had these for sale for about $65 each. I almost bought one... Almost...

So, what do you think, are there secret treasures that your local Muni-course could offer up to you that would be great to have in that pro shop, or is there nothing that could tempt you into separating a few bucks from the at wallet when you arrive at the course?

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

Outside of mementos of a new/different course I played, the only thing else would be something unusual - but I rarely see those kinds of items, especially those that you have listed.  $65. for a headcover 😱 - well maybe if it was Bethpage and signed by BK.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Get the usual ball markers but like to get some logo stuff at the special courses. I have a set of Muirfield headcovers, Royal Troon oversize towel and all sorts of Turnberry logoed shirts.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Depends on how much shop credit I get for winning the tournament. I tend to get a lot of my gear out of the shop at my club these days. My Vokey wedges all came from another course with the shop credit I had from winning an event and some skins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

To answer the question of What Would I Buy at an on-course Pro Shop? Nothing really. I am always prepared when I get to a golf course. Either home or away. I carry everything from balls to band-aids including a spare glove, socks, sunscreen, chap-stick, shoelaces, spare battery, pain or headache pills, etc. As you can tell; I'm not a spender at the golf course. There's really nothing they have that I need or want. I only belong to a club for access to golf. Thankfully there's no requirement for me to spend beyond the monthly dues and cart fee.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Nothing unless I liked something with the logo on it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I guess I am lucky in this regard, I try to buy everything from the shop. It helps the course with revenue and prices are generally the same. My current club sells almost everything for cheaper than they are supposed to which helps with this. 

*All my shop buying is from private clubs so this may be the difference. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

6 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I guess I am lucky in this regard, I try to buy everything from the shop. It helps the course with revenue and prices are generally the same. My current club sells almost everything for cheaper than they are supposed to which helps with this. 

*All my shop buying is from private clubs so this may be the difference. 

I have a similar experience with my club.  The prices on everything are the same as anywhere else.  Often, a little cheaper with a 10% member discount.  Plus, supporting the shop produces direct dividends on the golf course.  Anything within reason the shop hasn't had, I have always been able to have the shop get for equal or less money than I could buy it elsewhere.  

I'm not sure how much of an outlier this is but it doesn't seem to be very common based on some comments on here.  I haven't stepped foot in a golf retailer since my youngest daughter (age 11) was in diapers.

Well here courses have prices jacked up due to it being a tourist area--- And they will pay it!!----- My home course does give discounts to members and members of the golf group--- On shirts etc I rarely find anything that fits me---- I do have a leather driver cover with the course logo on it. That was a frebee the former GM gave it to me back when he was there even though I was going to buy one. Ball markers cheese whiz I have a bunch mostly find them in different places--- I am not really into new equipment as most everyone on here knows but if I were in the market to purchase new I would support my home club. But here they make enough off the tourists

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nothing except for hats/polos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm willing to buy anything that I need at my club.  The prices are similar to the off green shops.  I like supporting the club when I can.  Sadly, their inventory is limited. When traveling and playing other nicer courses, I will often purchase a shirt if I find one that I like.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The course where I belong gave a substantial discount to members, so I bought all my equipment there. They recently are being run by a management company, and the discount was discontinued for all but the highest membership category, and that has been greatly reduced. We used to get stuff at cost plus 10% plus shipping. I couldn't afford to buy elsewhere.

Edited by Bosox04
adding content

The usual logo stuff aside, unless its a famous course there really isnt anything I'd spend the money on.   Famous course maybe a pint glass or a polo

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Waiting till the seasons change can yield good deals on polo shirts or pullovers from their clearance or sale racks

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

23 hours ago, Waazzupppp said:

Strange question for everyone... What sort of gear would you purchase from an on-course pro shop? I don't mean the usual, Balls, Gloves, Poker Chip, etc... but more so, like putters, wedges, bags, tech gear, etc... I think for far too long, most pro shops are stuck in the "brick and mortar" days of offering only a few things and higher margins (like $30 balls for $10 a sleeve or a $50 pair of shoes for $150) and that scares most of us off from them. I would love to hear a top 5 in things you would love to have offered at a local course pro shop - as well as anything unique that your pro shop offers.

1) Rangefinders and Batteries for them - I don't know that I would need a $450 Garmin model, but having a Precision Plus model on the shelf might be nice - and those batteries! Exactly on the price, we carry the Precision Pro NX7 and sell a handful each year.  As well as carrying a few extra batteries. 
2) Practice Aids - Nothing like hitting the local pro up for a lesson and having him use a special tool that fixes an issue. Now, if I could just get that tool for use AFTER the lesson!-We just started carrying the Super Speed Sticks both in our Pro Shop and in use by our Director of Instruction.
3) Cart Accessories - ClicGear is the big dog here, but it's nice to be able to get a GPS holder or a Rangefinder bag when you need it instead of waiting to order one.-We dont' currently have either of these, but is a good thought. 
4) Yardage Book - It's a one time expense for the course to have the mapping done, but what a great thing to sell to the general public for your course - a professional yardage book with green chart.-We have them, and it's one of our most requested items, I guess the majority of golfers still don't use a GPS or rangefinder. 
5) Logo Headcovers - I don't know when these became a thing, but I was recently at an upper-scale course that had these for sale for about $65 each. I almost bought one... Almost...We arent' really the target demographic course for those,  municipal daily fee course with lots of seniors who pay their annual membership, and then hardly ever spend another penny at the course all year. 

So, what do you think, are there secret treasures that your local Muni-course could offer up to you that would be great to have in that pro shop, or is there nothing that could tempt you into separating a few bucks from the at wallet when you arrive at the course?

Great topic, see answers in red above, regarding our pro shop.   Will be curious to read more replies. A few things not mentioned that we carry:

• Bags, currently TaylorMade and Titleist
  • Wedges, TM, Vokey and Ping
  • Putters Ping, TM Spyder
  • Drivers  Ping and TMAG
  • Divot Tools and ball makers with sports teams,  Ravens, Redskins, Steelers, Orioles...etc
  • Stance Socks--Don't ask me...ha  but apparently they sell a bit. 
  • Tees of all sizes, gloves
  • Cigars
  • And of course, Shoes, apparel and balls from Chaos to Pro V's

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If it's something I'm looking for and the price is competitive, anything.  Clearance rack always gets my attention. Last year's pro shop purchase.

1148323394_oldworkshat.thumb.jpg.42bef146b0f696efe1e4e593adbda5da.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/21/2019 at 12:37 PM, PlaidJacket said:

To answer the question of What Would I Buy at an on-course Pro Shop? Nothing really. I am always prepared when I get to a golf course. Either home or away. I carry everything from balls to band-aids including a spare glove, socks, sunscreen, chap-stick, shoelaces, spare battery, pain or headache pills, etc. As you can tell; I'm not a spender at the golf course. There's really nothing they have that I need or want. I only belong to a club for access to golf. Thankfully there's no requirement for me to spend beyond the monthly dues and cart fee.

I'm pretty sure that YOU are my target audience for this post. You come fully prepared, but what could a shop stock to make you open that wallet? I'm the same way you are with EVERYTHING packed in my bag, but I'm always a sucker for those poker chip ball markers. There has to be something.... right?

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

I try to do make purchases at my club as well. Their prices are competitive and it helps the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Course logo cap, ball marker or divot tool.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

When Im playing a course Ive never played before, I grab a logo ball.  Might look for a close out area and browse. At my home course I grab a soda or water on an occasion and I have bought a sleeve or two. I did buy some FJ rain pants last fall and just bought a laser range find on a real goid deal from my course. Ive vought a towel, hat, and maybe some tees in the past. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Typically I don't buy anything at the on-course shop (except for food/drink) unless I'm in a pinch or it was unexpected.  I have a local shop that I give my business to and I'm generally prepared.  This weekend a course had tons of mosquitoes and had I not been given some in the parking lot by generous guy I would have bought some "OFF" mostquito wipes that were for sale in the shop.  

If I am out of town playing a unique course I'll pick up souvenir type merchandise like a logo shirt, ball market etc.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

I'll pick up a logo ball at new courses typically for my collection. 

First year in men's league and at my home course (we get a 10% discount), I'll pick up balls every once and awhile, and some apparel items if there is a decent sale. I recently picked up a pair of prior year FootJoys on sale. We have some opportunities to get extra ProShop credit that I'll use at the end of the season sale for a club or bag most likely. 

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder 

On 5/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, fixyurdivot said:

If it's something I'm looking for and the price is competitive, anything.  Clearance rack always gets my attention. Last year's pro shop purchase.

Hey, I played your course last summer. Moved my daughter’s stuff to college in Vancouver. Drove from Pittsburgh to Colorado to visit my mom, then on to Vancouver, then back to Pittsburgh. Played every morning, then drove for 8-10 hours. Really enjoyed the front nine up through the smelter ruins. Will be doing it again this year and Old Works is one that I intend to play again. 

On my trip, if I liked the course, I bought a shirt.