TESTERS WANTED! ×

I struggle with tempo and I feel thats whats holding my game back currently. It realy sunk in yesterday when playing wirh 3 guys Ive never  played wirh. When I smoked tee shots I would hear them say "much better tempo" or "great tempo". 

Any tempo tricks you have used?  My buddy has a 2 digit number he says i his head. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

18 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

I struggle with tempo and I feel thats whats holding my game back currently. It realy sunk in yesterday when playing wirh 3 guys Ive never  played wirh. When I smoked tee shots I would hear them say "much better tempo" or "great tempo". 

Any tempo tricks you have used?  My buddy has a 2 digit number he says i his head. 

You might want to see a good instructor.  For most of us, we ascribe a good shot to a good swing, and a bad shot to a bad swing.  That probably includes your playing partners that day too.  But most times, our swing is pretty much the same on both good and bad shots, its just tiny variations that produce huge differences in the results.  You may really need to improve your tempo control and consistency, but it quite possible that there are other more important issues.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Everyone has their own tempo, some quick, some smooth and imo string with ones way of doing things work best. If you are a casual type person a smith tempo probably works where someone who is constantly moving and does things fast a quick tempo probably suits them.

what sometimes gets confused for tempo is how the body works and transitions from top of swing to downswing which is usually related to how the body sequences and if in a good position. 

Using a count of some sort could help with a better transition, 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Warning: with my apologies, hideous foot pics below

I’d be willing to bet the complimentary notice of your playing partners actually referenced better sequencing - and it begins in your feet. Try to stretch out your toes and press them into the ground (note: that does not mean lean forward off your heels and onto your toes). Actively engaging more of your foot and thereby distributing weight both more evenly and over a larger effective... footprint (sorry, couldn’t be avoided), should provide more more awareness (and control) of your placement, balance and transition.

I wear TrueLinkswear for a few reasons (all unrelated to fashion) and one of them is the extra roomy toebox designed specifically for the reasons noted above.

Try making some barefoot swings on a hard surface at home and let me know if you have questions.

A41669B8-6FB9-4178-A464-03D67BE5EA6A.jpeg.5320e1caedd6ac7b9c61b83b0b9731dd.jpeg

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

My short game went on a journey in a handbasket over this past month.  In my last lesson I spoke to my instructor and he diagnosed the main problem was a tempo issue and stuck me with a metronome swinging half swings at 72bpm.  For whatever reason, 72bpm has worked wonders for me (YMMV) but the short game is back on track and consistency issues are coming under control .  All of this to say the halfswing metronome work has trickled up to improving my full swing tempo and transition too.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I think Tempo is a big deal. If you're interested there is a nice little app to help you find and groove your tempo.

https://www.tourtempo.com/

I actually have the app (and the book)  and used to use it. So simple. Too bad I don't heed my own advise. But you might consider giving it a try. Can't hurt.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks Plaid, I wil check that out. Im much better the slower I am. I need that slight pause at the top. I get quick, I get quick and all over the place. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

When I feel myself getting "fast", my swing mantra is "ea sy" on the backswing and "mon ey" on the downswing.  It's at a pace I'm comfortable with and I do. n't really try to match any syllable to any specific point. It's just a reminder to me to slow things down when things start going south.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

7 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I think Tempo is a big deal. If you're interested there is a nice little app to help you find and groove your tempo.

https://www.tourtempo.com/

I actually have the app (and the book)  and used to use it. So simple. Too bad I don't heed my own advise. But you might consider giving it a try. Can't hurt.

Tour Tempo is great.  The book blows a lot of myths about tempo out of the water.  Read the books and give it a try.  I bought the books used on Amazon.  Re the app,  it's a bit pricy, but worth it for me. (The concepts in the books are pretty simple, and the books have a lot of filler.  Hence the recommendation to buy used.)  

Once you have your tempo, practice it.  It's a lot like a grip.   Once you find the one for you, you need to be vigilant and make sure you practice it--on every shot, every range ball, every practice swing.    

I also got the Tour Tempo books and practiced with the tones. Just an FYI that I found from working with it, and confirmed by email with them, is that it's possible to have to two different tempos in your game - one for full swing and another for short game. 

What's helping me - but as mentioned earlier, YMMV - is to count in my head...

For full swing it's..."1" start of takeaway, "2" top of backswing, "3" transition-into downswing-into impact. These counts also help me hook into the key positions I should be in at each stage.

For short game it's... "1" back and "2" through. This 1-2 count helps me key in to staying stable and smooth.

Like others mentioned, see a pro and experiment and practice to find what may work for you!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg