Jump to content
GolfSpy Barbajo

Barba's Travelogue - A Week In St. Andrews

Recommended Posts

Thats a great itinerary, have you been before?

I really enjoy the New course for it's layout. Jubilee is also good with a tough last 4 holes. Kingsbarnes is just special.

Hope you get on the Old course, its not a patch on the others but the atmosphere is magical, especially playing 17 and 18 where you WILL have spectators.

Keep us appraised with pics and updates.

*edit* I liked the Castle course, some stupidly hard undulating greens (think Augusta on steroids lol) but a good test.

 

p.s The New inn will be fine, you're not far from anywhere in St Andrews

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Thats a great itinerary, have you been before?

I really enjoy the New course for it's layout. Jubilee is also good with a tough last 4 holes. Kingsbarnes is just special.

Hope you get on the Old course, its not a patch on the others but the atmosphere is magical, especially playing 17 and 18 where you WILL have spectators.

Keep us appraised with pics and updates.

*edit* I liked the Castle course, some stupidly hard undulating greens (think Augusta on steroids lol) but a good test.

 

p.s The New inn will be fine, you're not far from anywhere in St Andrews

4

Made a pit stop in St. Andrews last summer - did get to play the New Course and stayed at the Golf Inn (loved the  Fish 'n Chips!). 

Really enjoyed the New Course, and this trip will be a full immersion into St. Andrews, with Kingsbarns a great treat at the end. I'm sure we'll be thinking twice about 36 holes a day by the end of the week, but we'll see how she goes.  

Let me know if you're in the area - we can hoist a pint...or several. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Made a pit stop in St. Andrews last summer - did get to play the New Course and stayed at the Golf Inn (loved the  Fish 'n Chips!). 

Really enjoyed the New Course, and this trip will be a full immersion into St. Andrews, with Kingsbarns a great treat at the end. I'm sure we'll be thinking twice about 36 holes a day by the end of the week, but we'll see how she goes.  

Let me know if you're in the area - we can hoist a pint...or several. 

With about 17 hrs of daylight this time of year it would be rude not to have 36 holes a day.

Spookily enough a friend is trying to get a game arranged there for Sunday, if I'm going to be there I'll PM you but so far he's not having any luck.

You'll have a blast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t wait to live vicariously through you again.

Have fun!!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I was going. Have fun and keep 'em low and outta the wind.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Wish I was going. Have fun and keep 'em low and outta the wind.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wind! Wind! when its 30mph we call it a breeze😏

When the flag sticks are bending over we might call it a wind😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very jelly here John. Enjoy your trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GolfSpy Barbajo, you are now officially on my list of people I don't like😉. I'm jealous of anyone who is getting to play anywhere, let alone of your trip.

I'm not going to wish you a great trip, because I'm sure it will be sensational without    my input. Hope you get the full spectrum of weather while your there so you can pretend your playing in The Open.

One last thing, no toilet pictures this time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

@GolfSpy Barbajo, you are now officially on my list of people I don't like😉. I'm jealous of anyone who is getting to play anywhere, let alone of your trip.

I'm not going to wish you a great trip, because I'm sure it will be sensational without    my input. Hope you get the full spectrum of weather while your there so you can pretend your playing in The Open.

One last thing, no toilet pictures this time.

Haha! I! I'm glad to see you pay attention - can't help the toilet pictures. You can take the boy out of plumbing but you can't take the plumber out of the boy.

As for the list - I could make a lengthy list of people who have me on the list of people they don't like. I like that ist. 😉

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this thread pop up and just figured someone bumped last years thread on your Scotland trip, didn’t realize you are going again!

Have fun and I’ll send positive vibes your way for selection for the Old Course.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours and counting!

 

Bag is set:

Driver: Honma 747/Sub 70 639D
FW: Srixon F-85 strong 3
Hybrids: Hogan VKTR 17, PXG 22
Irons: Srixon Z-85 combo set
Wedges: Cleveland 50 (bent to 49), Hogan Riviera 56/60

Cobra adjustable utility

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab, Bettinardi BB8

Balls: Srixon Z Star XV/Bridgestone Tour B X

 

The drivers are a gamble - just received them this past week and tried them on the range. I think I'm going to like them. Srixon Strong 3-wood flights lower than the Wilson D7, which should help. Stroke Lab putter is the starter with the Bettinardi BB8 a hunch as a bench player, just in case. 

The Hogan 17 degree hybrid fits the gap between the PXG and the 3 wood nicely, and the Cobra is adjustable, which makes it versatile in case it's extra windy. 

Now, I just hope the game doesn't take a dump over the Atlantic like last year. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet?....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 12:34 AM, Shankster said:

Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet?....

he's there and eating Haggis and Black pudding .....yum!🙂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, Shankster said:

Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet?....

He is, and dove right in to the local favorites....see below!

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

he's there and eating Haggis and Black pudding .....yum!🙂

Exactly...and I was going to post based on the picture I saw this morning of his breakfast, I'm not so sure I'm jealous anymore....ha  I think I would have had to taken a weeks worth of Panera Bagels and hoped that somewhere I was able to find cream cheese for them 🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop By DunVegans up the street from the old course, Outstanding "baked" fish and chips. Beer is coooold.

The haggis aint bad either.  If that doesn't sound go turn around and look across the street to the oldest clubmaker. the new old clubs are quite nice.

Love Kingsbarn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a personal opinion, I prefer the Whey Pat to the Dunvegan, fewer tourists, more locals, and more real ales on tap.  Haggis is fine, and black pudding can be really good, but for breakfast I prefer smokies, small smoked fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...