Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

circa 2001: Driver Design (by: MyGolfSpy)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

I was looking back through some REALLY old files of a driver design I was working on way back in 2001 and thought I would share it with you guys. The name was just a place holder but I the concept was to keep it simple and clean and make the technology the focus of the driver. Although you can't see the actual technology (all inside the head) I will try and locate more files that show what is going on underneath the hood on this concept.

Many of the companies wanted a similar version but at the time the technology was not available...and actually still to this day has not been able to be incorporated in a driver although in the next few years you will start to see some similar technologies hitting the market.

1-symbol-status.jpg

1-symbol-status-2.jpg

#TruthDigest

That is definitely Unique shape looks a little toe heavy, not sure if thats to balance the weight that may be in the heal or hosel. Without knowing all the intricate details of the inside cavity of this head I can only guess the COG and weight distribution, so I'll wait for those pieces of the puzzle before I decide whether I like or not!

Tim

PS: thanks for posting and welcome to MGS Mr. MyGolfSpy :o

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

I am trying to find some of the inside of the head. In regards to the shape this was back in 2001 when pear shape heads were the in thing but this was more toe biased in looks because of the internal weighting of the head.

That is definitely Unique shape looks a little toe heavy, not sure if thats to balance the weight that may be in the heal or hosel. Without knowing all the intricate details of the inside cavity of this head I can only guess the COG and weight distribution, so I'll wait for those pieces of the puzzle before I decide whether I like or not!

Tim

PS: thanks for posting and welcome to MGS Mr. MyGolfSpy :o

#TruthDigest

Kind of like a big titanium bullet ... B)

In addition to the internal features, I'm sure folks would love to see views from other angles, including the all-important address shot :o

+1 on the VERY impressive sentiment!

What kind of sound would you have envisioned coming from this driver?? It seems that sound is becoming a very important part of Driver Design..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

What kind of sound would you have envisioned coming from this driver?? It seems that sound is becoming a very important part of Driver Design..

Excellent point. At the range on Sunday two guys next to me were demoing drivers and were commenting on the tone of the old Diablo vs. this years. One said something like at least it is not as bad as Nike.

While I personally like the sound of my Nike 5000 when I smash ball, the loud sound of the previous models kept these guys from even demoing the new models.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Well until heads hit over around 410 cc's sound was never an issue. Hard to remember those days but this was not an issue when designing a driver back then.

Excellent point. At the range on Sunday two guys next to me were demoing drivers and were commenting on the tone of the old Diablo vs. this years. One said something like at least it is not as bad as Nike.

While I personally like the sound of my Nike 5000 when I smash ball, the loud sound of the previous models kept these guys from even demoing the new models.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

There were a couple version of this model but this one did have a mirror finish.

That is cool looking. Is the face mirror finished like the older Exotics?

#TruthDigest

The hosel looks a little shorter, perhaps? Also, the way it goes into the crown with that little flare looks a little different compared to how other drivers are constructed.

Or maybe the angle of that 2nd picture is messing up my perspective.

• SPY VIP

Moe - you are right the hosel was a little shorter. At the time hosels were longer especially some Titleist models which was the tradition although caused some weight placement issues. This allowed more weight to be used for the internal weighting system. Also the flare was a unique and actually was not solid inside the flare it had what is similar to I-Beams inside it.

The hosel looks a little shorter, perhaps? Also, the way it goes into the crown with that little flare looks a little different compared to how other drivers are constructed.

Or maybe the angle of that 2nd picture is messing up my perspective.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Sort of a left turn question, but how does one get to the place of designing clubs?

The more I learn from threads like this, the more I realize just how complicated this is to do.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Well I am sure my story is a little different then most but I had Tom Wishon write an article on this a while ago on MGS. He did not go into as much detail as I think he could have but you might find something interesting in it:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/how-to-become-a-golf-club-designer/

Sort of a left turn question, but how does one get to the place of designing clubs?

The more I learn from threads like this, the more I realize just how complicated this is to do.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Well I am sure my story is a little different then most but I had Tom Wishon write an article on this a while ago on MGS. He did not go into as much detail as I think he could have but you might find something interesting in it:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/how-to-become-a-golf-club-designer/

Thanks! The depth of knowledge that is associated with MGS is amazing.

Volvo Intorqueo

You guys have a lot more talent than I do. Fantastic work.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

I will try to access some of these older hard drives to get some of the older stuff...most of the newer stuff I unfortunately cannot show ;)

We want to see more of your stuff!! ...at least I do

#TruthDigest

• 3 weeks later...

Archived