Golfspy_CG2

Titleist TS1 Coming In June

I  just ordered the TS1 driver after getting fitted by the Titleist rep at my local course.  Fundamentally it averaged 12 yards more carry (212 yds carry, 15 yd rollout)  with the same rollout as my current TS2 .   I am a senior with average head SS of  83mph and 12 hcp.  I will be selling the TS2 I bought 6 months ago,,,which is rather painful.  Prior to the TS2 I used a Callaway Fusion (2014 I recall) for years happily  but the roll-out was rather low due to higher back spin probably.   Additionally, a deciding factor for me is that I find my longer clubs, especially the driver, are more difficult to swing later in the round as fatigue sets in.  I'm hopeful the lighter weight (lower MOI maybe) will lower my urge to swing harder to keep the speed up.  BTW, I am an retired mechanical engineer and understand kinematics, dynamics, and MOI better than the average bear.  Unfortunately understanding things in your head does not translate to playing good golf in my experience.

Impressive,...212 yards carry at 83 mph!   You must be wearing out the sweet spot on that face!    Enjoy the new stick!

Of note was that number is  what the Titleist Rep/fitter told me from his magic computer.   What I can verify for sure is that the ball was flying a little further with the TS1 vs the TS2 on the grass driving range where I tested.  The rollout looked about the same but  My 69 YO eyes are not terribly precise...at 200 yards down range.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, Riley Willson said:

Of note was that number is  what the Titleist Rep/fitter told me from his magic computer.   What I can verify for sure is that the ball was flying a little further with the TS1 vs the TS2 on the grass driving range where I tested.  The rollout looked about the same but  My 69 YO eyes are not terribly precise...at 200 yards down range.

LOL...I hear you!   My eyes and swing ability are staying step in step, barely drive it 210 yards and can't see it land much past that anyway 😥

Why didn't Titleist release all the drivers together? Or at least say "Hey we're releasing these now, but in 3 months we're releasing these ones also". I had a friend get fitted for a TS2 paid good money for it, then a few months later the TS4 released went back, and it's actually a better fit for him. Just wondering if anyone knows why they did this or had a similar experience. I'm sure they have their reasons, but this is also double or more what they typically release. I guess this will be the new standard from now on.

57 minutes ago, Maltenator said:

Why didn't Titleist release all the drivers together? Or at least say "Hey we're releasing these now, but in 3 months we're releasing these ones also". I had a friend get fitted for a TS2 paid good money for it, then a few months later the TS4 released went back, and it's actually a better fit for him. Just wondering if anyone knows why they did this or had a similar experience. I'm sure they have their reasons, but this is also double or more what they typically release. I guess this will be the new standard from now on.

It’s a couple things imo. They released mid cycle which gives them something new and fresh after the other companies had their release so from a marketing standpoint it draws eyes to the brand. The other is titleist doesn’t release anything new just to release it they release something that’s better than previous release. My guess is based on their internal testing and feedback from pros they needed a lower spin option as well as realized they need something to offer the slower swing speeds. It also not the first time titleist has done a mid cycle release or released a driver later. The 915 d4 was not released with the d2 and d3 models.

they also aren’t the first brand to do a later release. Ping has done it several times since the sft and lst models have entered their lineup...again like titleist they don’t just release to release.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s a couple things imo. They released mid cycle which gives them something new and fresh after the other companies had their release so from a marketing standpoint it draws eyes to the brand. The other is titleist doesn’t release anything new just to release it they release something that’s better than previous release. My guess is based on their internal testing and feedback from pros they needed a lower spin option as well as realized they need something to offer the slower swing speeds. It also not the first time titleist has done a mid cycle release or released a driver later. The 915 d4 was not released with the d2 and d3 models.

they also aren’t the first brand to do a later release. Ping has done it several times since the sft and lst models have entered their lineup...again like titleist they don’t just release to release.

I agree, but If they came out what 3-5 months or so apart, they knew they already had the later release in the works and development. I know they use to be on a 2 year schedule, but I think they're about to change the game up and make everyone's heads spin.

Just now, Maltenator said:

I agree, but If they came out what 3-5 months or so apart, they knew they already had the later release in the works and development. I know they use to be on a 2 year schedule, but I think they're about to change the game up and make everyone's heads spin.

They are still on a 2 year cycle and haven’t changed from that. 

The release of the ts1 and 4 are roughly 9 months after the ts2 and 4 releases. Let’s not forget they have to go thru usga and r&a testing, titleist your seeds everything before public release and they probably didn’t know if or when exactly they would release. They aren’t being shady by not saying hey we have two new drivers but we have two more coming later in 2019. They are releasing what they planned and then releasing new product when it meets their criteria. Just like with the yellow prov. They could have released one whenever but they waited til the got everything right including the color

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maltenator said:

RickyBobby makes good points, and I'm a Titleist loyalist.  But let's not forget one big thing.  Titleist is no longer a private company. Being a public company they have a board to answer to and that board wants to see new product out and sales coming in year round. 

I'm not saying that's the driving force behind it, but it'd be naive to think it might not be at least a part of the thinking. 

• Like 2