Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Demo Days - information gained.

tw1ns

My local driving range recently had a Demo days and as I am in the market for a 3 Wood, i thought i would wander out and see what i could find.   FYI, i probably wouldn't get fitted for a new one and buy it on the spot, as i am the guy who waits a couple of years and then buys used or almost new.  Currently i don't carry one and have a gap between my driver and my 3H.  The course i play every morning doesn't demand one, maybe 2 holes out of 18.  But when traveling out of town, it would be nice to have one when needed.  Most of the manufacturers were in attendance.....Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland, Taylormade, Titleist, Wilson,  and Cobra.  And one i had not heard of.  Tour Edge Exotics.  Seeing as the other tents were busy i decided to step up and asked if they had a 3 wood they would recommend.  He pulled the CBX in a 15* and a 13*.   After hitting a few with the 15* and seeing good results, he handed me the 13* and asked me to hit it.  He said i will be surprised to find how easy it is to hit off the deck and to get airborne, and he was right.  He challenged me to swing harder and dared me to hit it left.  I couldn't.  It had a penetrating ball flight with little variance from where i was trying to hit it.  Although he did say with a tweak of the shaft it could be even better.  I was impressed.  I had hit other 3 woods that day with Mizuno and Titleist and with help from launch monitors they were able to dial me in with the proper shaft, which turned out to be a stiff shaft but in a lighter version.  Not the lightest but right in the middle.  The shaft that seemed to work best for me was the Tensei CK Blue 60.  Which brought me to the realization that the shaft i have in my M2 driver, Tensei CK Blue 50, probably needs to be changed to the 60.  With the lightest shaft i was getting more spin and shots were ballooning and had a slight slice.  The CK 60 shaft in the Titleist head was much more boring ball flight with little variation and better distance that i was looking for.  Never did get to the Taylormade tent as it was busy, as was the Ping tent, but i was happy with the time i spent.  (sorry for the long post!)

Driver :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5 deg. Tensei CK Series Blue 50 Stiff

3 Wood :callaway-small: Steel Head Tensei CK Series Blue Reg.

Hybrids :taylormade-small: M2 3-4H - Reg.

Irons :taylormade-small: M2 5-PW Reg. Steel

Wedges :titelist-small: 52* 56* Vokey SM4 Black

Putter :odyssey-small: Versa White Hot RX #7  35 inch SuperStroke Slim 3.0

Ball  VICE Tour

Yea it is amazing how much the shaft can change your shot shape and spin rate. I use the Tensei shaft as well. I believe mine is the Red 60 but The blue 60 would have worked for a different driver i was looking at.

I am also in the market for a 3w and have great things about the Tour Exotics; especially their 3w. Finding a place to hit it will be tough for me.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

TEE is the real deal. I currently use the XCG6, a much older model, but have not found any other 3 wood that compares, and its not even close. I would recommend their 3 and 5 woods without hesitation. Good luck in your search, you cannot go wrong with any 3 wood model from Tour Edge Exotics. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind