Jmikecpa

Bethpage Black this Sunday

Very cool.  This should be fun to follow.   

I've read Tom's A Course Called Ireland, tell him it was one of the most fascinating golf books I've ever read---I"m sure he'll be impressed---HA.   But it really did feel like I was with him every step of the journey. 

As for pictures, any picture that can show the difference between the Championship tees and regular tees would be neat, I know I took one like that on Whistling Straits Straits course on the Par 4 8th hole that was like a 120 yard difference. 

Have a blast

• Like 2

Very cool.  This should be fun to follow.   
I've read Tom's A Course Called Ireland, tell him it was one of the most fascinating golf books I've ever read---I"m sure he'll be impressed---HA.   But it really did feel like I was with him every step of the journey. 
As for pictures, any picture that can show the difference between the Championship tees and regular tees would be neat, I know I took one like that on Whistling Straits Straits course on the Par 4 8th hole that was like a 120 yard difference. 
Have a blast

I will take a few pictures from the back tees as that is what I am playing from. Will also be sure to let Tom know you enjoyed the book. You should give Paper Tiger a read, very enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I will take a few pictures from the back tees as that is what I am playing from. Will also be sure to let Tom know you enjoyed the book. You should give Paper Tiger a read, very enjoyable.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pick it up. 

Also I'd be curious to know exactly how far one must carry some of those tee shots from the Championship tees.  I had heard in the past there were some 250 plus.   But also it appeared they may have "shortened" a few of them for the PGA

Which tees are you planning on playing? (you just answered this) I don't know if it is possible but I would be curious about the different tees they used for each day of the tourney. IE: difference between Thursday and Sunday. Some of that gets lost in translation on the broadcast, unless it changes to reachable par 4, would be interesting to see what affect that has on sight lines and/or carries etc. 

• Like 1

This should be a fun thread to follow- good luck on Sunday- not jealous at all, not one bit😢

I'd be interested in pics of the actual rough, how deep is it really in the second cut? Also any pics to show the size and undulations on some of the greens which look flat-ish on tv.

Good luck

• Like 1

Which tees are you planning on playing? (you just answered this) I don't know if it is possible but I would be curious about the different tees they used for each day of the tourney. IE: difference between Thursday and Sunday. Some of that gets lost in translation on the broadcast, unless it changes to reachable par 4, would be interesting to see what affect that has on sight lines and/or carries etc. 

I am playing the back of the championship box on every hole. Will try and see if I can figure out which tees where used each day and get some pictures. And you are correct, the greens are fairly flat there with mostly subtle breaks.

• Like 2

I have played there, a long, long time ago before many on this forum could walk - 1978 - drove to the Island and sat in the parking lot with my college who was from Huntington, sat around and played poker all night.

It was way before the redo. I had to pay the non-resident rate - around $25.

Pebble was under 100 at that point, too to put things in perspective.

I’d like to hear about your wait.

At thezipr23 - I’ve been to enough tournaments on multiple days to see that they move the tees around allot at Tour events and even more so at majors.

Whistling Straits never plays close to its yardage - the yardage is there to afford the additional locations and angles as well as to allow for different weather conditions in an event.

With 280 yard carries over fescue on a couple of holes they aren’t going to eliminate guys on the field by playing it all the way back into a 20 mph wind coming off Lake Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

So my wife thinks that I am a lunatic.

She's not the only one!! 😂

Good luck and I hope #1, you get on and #2, you have a good round.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So my night at the Bethpage Inn won’t happen and we actually have an approximation of a tee time. Will still take pics of the course and give you my round in detail. If you guys really want my night before it will involve a dinner with the family and a few too many beers when I get home. Not sure pics will do me justice on that front.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

So my night at the Bethpage Inn won’t happen and we actually have an approximation of a tee time. Will still take pics of the course and give you my round in detail. If you guys really want my night before it will involve a dinner with the family and a few too many beers when I get home. Not sure pics will do me justice on that front.

:)

In that case I hope you’re time is later.

• Like 1

:)

In that case I hope you’re time is later.

9:30am. I am a seasoned vet and will be ready to go.

• Like 2

Maybe try to get a few perspective pics showing the SCALE of some of the bunkers and elevation changes to some of the greens?

(make Tom walk ahead of you to a good photo op spot, ha ha)

Give everyone a better sense of what some of the holes on that course are really like!

Only one slight change for tomorrow. Going to play the blue tees due to the condition of the greens. Apparently they were punched this week and a bit slow. No sense is 7600 yards with punched greens.

Maybe try to get a few perspective pics showing the SCALE of some of the bunkers and elevation changes to some of the greens?
(make Tom walk ahead of you to a good photo op spot, ha ha)
Give everyone a better sense of what some of the holes on that course are really like!

#4 and #15 are two great examples.

• Like 1

I have arrived at the Black and trying to loosen up a bit. Range is packed so doubt I will hit any balls before I play just going to roll a few putts.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

#4 and #15 are two great examples.

Might be #15 I was thinking of as one good example? The hole is towards the NE corner of the park, after a Par 3, and is a looooong dogleg left, where the fairway towards the green is higher than the fairway from the tee; a huge, tall, wide, gaping chasm 😆 of a bunker is on the inside corner of the dogleg.

Might be #15 I was thinking of as one good example? The hole is towards the NE corner of the park, after a Par 3, and is a looooong dogleg left, where the fairway towards the green is higher than the fairway from the tee; a huge, tall, wide, gaping chasm of a bunker is on the inside corner of the dogleg.

I actually made a two putt par on 15 and felt like I won the lottery. You get a great visual of the elevation when you are standing on the 14th green.

• Like 3

Well, I survived. Will post some pics and discuss the round tonight after I get done with a soak in the hot tub. My dogs are barking.

IMG_1679.jpg

• Like 7

Looking forward to hearing about your round. It’s a tough course to walk let alone play golf so I’ll bet those dogs are barking.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy