Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mizuno JPX-800 Pro Irons - ULTIMATE REVIEW!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

JPX-1.jpg

ULTIMATE REVIEW! – Mizuno JPX-800 Pro Iron

This isn't the first time Mizuno has had a club in this space (they've been doing it for years), but the fact that they're no longer alone tells me that forged game improvement irons might be developing a broader market appeal. Granted, the JPX-800 Pro, a transitional iron “pro” enough to find its way into the bag of Charles Howell III, is probably at the extreme end of the category, but that only serves to remind us that there are plenty of guys playing less forgiving irons than they probably ought to be (yours truly included).

READ FULL REVIEW

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Great review. Funny how the air sort of fell out of the balloon toward the end. I am curious to see how they compare to the non-pro version and if that version will be a better seller or this one.

These seem to hit a fairly narrow group of players...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

These seem to hit a fairly narrow group of players...

That's basically my assessment in a nutshell.

While I think they're a very solid irons (and I've got testers who absolutely love them), they're in a tough spot in Mizuno's own lineup, nevermind the marketplace as a whole. The non-pro model is very likely more forgiving, and the MP-53 probably better feeling. Of course it's also worth mentioning that the MP-53 is a damn forgiving iron, so you're not losing a lot in that respect by stepping up. I probably like this iron a lot more than the review reflects, but at the same time, I'm personally more inclined towards the 53s.

Seems like Mizuno hasn't really differentiated this set from its MX-200 and MX-300 lines of the recent past.

The line I like to use is that this is an evolutionary product more than a revolutionary production. I almost bought a set of MX-200 a few years ago, and had those irons been the JPX-800 Pro I probably would have, but if you have MX-300, I think you'd find them fairly similar enough.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

First of all, great review. As always, I LOVE the amount of data.

I was pleased to see the club perform well because it's been a great seller for us. It's actually very surprising to me to hear people refer to this club as being narrowly targeted, because to me it hits a much needed "sweet spot." I get tons of players coming through the store who say they shoot mid-high 80's, maybe low 90's. They don't want a shovel, but they know they can't play a blade, and often they don't want the thinnest club out because it scares them. For that player, this club has been perfect: forgiving, good performance, good feel, and attractive.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

First of all, great review. As always, I LOVE the amount of data.

I was pleased to see the club perform well because it's been a great seller for us. It's actually very surprising to me to hear people refer to this club as being narrowly targeted, because to me it hits a much needed "sweet spot." I get tons of players coming through the store who say they shoot mid-high 80's, maybe low 90's. They don't want a shovel, but they know they can't play a blade, and often they don't want the thinnest club out because it scares them. For that player, this club has been perfect: forgiving, good performance, good feel, and attractive.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The JPX-800 Pro definitely do hit a sweet spot within the market, but as I said in my review, I don't think it's a spot that a lot of people necessarily no exist. There really aren't a lot of companies producing a forged game improvement iron, especially one that really trends towards a players iron (obviously the S2 forged qualifies as well). My expectation is we'll see a lot more irons in this space in the coming years.

I'm glad to hear they're selling well. As I said in the review, the feedback we got was mixed. Some loved them, others loved Mizuno irons, just not these Mizuno irons.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a Mizuno fitting last night and came away with a set of JPX-800 (4-PW).

Project X 5.5, 1" long and 2 degrees upright.

I also tried out the JPX-800 Pro. The fitter who is formerly off scratch handicap and is now still very low owns the store; however being the decent guy he is talked me out of the Pro and instead then I opted for the standard 800s.

His reasoning was as follows: my level of golf, extra bit of forgiveness wasn't to be sneered at, and I'd save myself £100 sterling (or not give him an extra £100...)

However, he is a very accomplished golfer. He has won in the past several Irish Amateur titles. He has now put the JPX-800 Pros into his bag. He is happy enough to have a bit of forgiveness (or a lot of forgiveness). The distance is immense on these and he believes there isn't much difference in workability between these and a much less forgiving club. Owning the shop I guess he can stick pretty much whatever he fancies into his bag, and can test extensively for whatever he likes. Being a very good amateur golfer I would also guess that blades or much less forgiving clubs would also be considered by him. That he has opted for these says a lot about the club...

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

Archived