Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

DIY Putting tutor

This is great, and you're in the right place to post this: there's a number of us that seem to love hacking together our own versions of training aids both just because it's fun and to save some bucks.

I've had the same interest in replicating thus Pelz trainer, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Great work, and thanks for sharing!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

This is great, and you're in the right place to post this: there's a number of us that seem to love hacking together our own versions of training aids both just because it's fun and to save some bucks.
I've had the same interest in replicating thus Pelz trainer, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Great work, and thanks for sharing!

Thank you, I’m new to this whole forum thing. I love finding new ways to work on my game and save some money. I can’t say enough good things about this tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some of the other projects that people have posted here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.mygolfspy.com+diy

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

After reading Phil’s “Secrets of the short game” last year I was interested in the Pelz putting tutor he used, but I wasn’t interested in the price tag for something that seemed so simple. I’ve been using it for almost a year now and I can say it’s helped me tremendously. It’s helped me with my eye line, which I’ve struggled with being left handed but right eye dominant. The other big thing I notice when I’m using it regularly is that I strike the ball cleaner and get better roll. With the ball sitting up on it, it forces me to hit up on the ball and not de-loft the face like I tend to do. I haven’t seen anything on here about it so I figured I’d share my project in hopes it helps someone else out there!

I started with a piece of .060 aluminum, I think it will work on anything under maybe .25” but solid enough to stay flat. I cut out the basic shape and rounded the edges, the punched a few holes. Pretty basic. I think the only crucial measure here is that the centerline of the holes is 90° square to the back edge. I used an .125” hole for the ball to sit on and countersunk it a bit to keep it in place. Then .25” holes to sit the marbles on. I bought a whole bag of marbles on amazon for like $6, I think they’re .600” diameter. I made a drawing with all the measurements I used. The last set of holes are just wide enough for a ball with no gap.

I’d love to see if anyone else out there has done a similar project and hear other suggestions or ideas. I can definitely say that after using this my putting improved tremendously and I notice when I haven’t been using it.

IMG_3789.jpg.d33de261e1cdc0a791ac37d4c872262b.jpgIMG_3787.thumb.jpg.dafb6d681ae45903b9ec70a2f2aa3a7d.jpgIMG_3790.thumb.jpg.31283fd0fd298759837955b1eb1c62a8.jpg

Very nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

• 6 months later...

Great tutor! I wish all tutors would be so good at their job, I have visited my tutor for college and now I still need  it to prepare for exams. I will have to write an essay on how did the cold war affect domestic policy and American society. Have you ever written it?

Edited by BrookeFaulkner

Nice but anyone looking for a great putting aid that’s cheap can get the seemore putting triangle for $10 that does basically the same thing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nice but anyone looking for a great putting aid that’s cheap can get the seemore putting triangle for $10 that does basically the same thing 

The Seemore triangulator is about aim.   You can used the Pelz tutor (or DIY version above) to help see aim.  The pelz tutor also helps check startline which  based on my looking at the Triangulator isn't something that it helps with.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

not sure what all the Pelz tutor is but you can find eye alignment mirors similar to this on amazon for like $15

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

4 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

not sure what all the Pelz tutor is but you can find eye alignment mirors similar to this on amazon for like $15

It isn't a mirror.   It is essentially a gate that you roll the ball through to ensure your are starting the ball on your intended line.  Allows you to work on face angle at impact.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It isn't a mirror.   It is essentially a gate that you roll the ball through to ensure your are starting the ball on your intended line.  Allows you to work on face angle at impact.  

The thing for me with these types of training aids is you have to really find a perfectly straight putt right? I mean if there is some break to it and you think it’s straight, it might cause one to push/pull thinking it’s a straight putt.

Maybe people are more aware than that.

WITB:

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

The thing for me with these types of training aids is you have to really fine a perfectly straight putt right? I mean if there is some break to it and you think it’s straight, it might cause one to push/pull thinking it’s a straight putt.

Maybe people are more aware than that.

doesn't have to be straight.  The distance from ball to gate is about 11" and the goal is to roll the ball between the gate; on the Pelz tutor it is balls.   I use a similar aid indoors and only roll the ball about 3 feet total and use different stroke lengths.  I don't uses it to verify my read, but people do use it to verify they are starting the ball on their desired line for breaking putts.   Depending on how you line up your putt (line on the ball,  spot in front of your ball, or distance left/right of the hole) it can work for you.  For the distance left or right of the hole, I would use a string or something to make sure that the aid was setup correctly and then work on rolling the ball the correct speed on that line. If you hit the ball/gate you are pushing or pulling your putt.  

I actually use this type of approach for testing putters to see if it works for my stroke.  If I can't start it on my intended line it will be harder to make putts. 

doesn't have to be straight.  The distance from ball to gate is about 11" and the goal is to roll the ball between the gate; on the Pelz tutor it is balls.   I use a similar aid indoors and only roll the ball about 3 feet total and use different stroke lengths.  I don't uses it to verify my read, but people do use it to verify they are starting the ball on their desired line for breaking putts.   Depending on how you line up your putt (line on the ball,  spot in front of your ball, or distance left/right of the hole) it can work for you.  For the distance left or right of the hole, I would use a string or something to make sure that the aid was setup correctly and then work on rolling the ball the correct speed on that line. If you hit the ball/gate you are pushing or pulling your putt.  
I actually use this type of approach for testing putters to see if it works for my stroke.  If I can't start it on my intended line it will be harder to make putts. 

But doesn’t gravity affect the putt right off the bat if there is some slope to it?

WITB:

15 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

But doesn’t gravity affect the putt right off the bat if there is some slope to it?

Maybe a little if you are on a significant slope.  The ball is also in its bounce/skid phase so that would limit some of the impact of gravity.    But if you hit the gate,  you aren't starting the ball on the line you need to start the ball.     Ultimately putting through a gate is a good face control drill and it seems to be advocated by many teaches and done by many professionals.  

• 6 months later...

Thinking of trying to make this. Love the design. Do you think using a rubber spray paint covering would be okay? Or would it affect performance?

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Thinking of trying to make this. Love the design. Do you think using a rubber spray paint covering would be okay? Or would it affect performance?

Evenly applied there should be no impact.

How does it roll with the ball placed in that small detent/drill hole?

I've been putting down a 2" aluminum ruler and at first I was starting with the ball placed in the "nail hang" hole. What I noticed was that depending on how the dimples were resting in that hole, I could get some serious weird stuff happening (the ball would jump left or right, side spin, hops, and just strange things). It took me a while to realize that it was caused by placing the ball in that hole.

I now just rest the ball on the dimples on a flat part of the ruler. The nail hole is much larger than on your project, but I was curious how it was working for you?

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

How does it roll with the ball placed in that small detent/drill hole?
I've been putting down a 2" aluminum ruler and at first I was starting with the ball placed in the "nail hang" hole. What I noticed was that depending on how the dimples were resting in that hole, I could get some serious weird stuff happening (the ball would jump left or right, side spin, hops, and just strange things). It took me a while to realize that it was caused by placing the ball in that hole.
I now just rest the ball on the dimples on a flat part of the ruler. The nail hole is much larger than on your project, but I was curious how it was working for you?

I’ve never had an issue. It’s only and 1/8” hole countersunk just enough to get the ball to rest in the same spot on the center line. I believe the real deal from Pelz has a bigger indent for the ball to rest on. I believe I saw Phil is still using it this weekend on the putting green.

16 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I’ve never had an issue. It’s only and 1/8” hole countersunk just enough to get the ball to rest in the same spot on the center line. I believe the real deal from Pelz has a bigger indent for the ball to rest on. I believe I saw Phil is still using it this weekend on the putting green.

That's awesome that yours is rolling pure!

My ruler has a .300" hole (not counter sunk) - either the extra 175 thou's in diameter, or the lack of a chamfered edge (probably both), definitely "grab" the ball. Just a heads-up for other DIY'ers!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

On 5/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Here's some of the other projects that people have posted here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.mygolfspy.com+diy

This is going to keep me busy for way too long! If my wife asks, I’ll be in the garage!!!

Adam “Schlacky”

Woods: Cobra F9/Callaway Rogue

Irons: Cobra F9

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Ping Anser 2

Just get a steel ruler from the hardware store for $5 and save chasing and resetting the marbles after every miss. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0