Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

So, I know the best thing would be to see a pro and get lessons, but for right now, that isn't really an option. 

I've just really been fighting my swing this year, and I want to see if the vast knowledge contained on this forum can help me out. My general miss has been a push and/or slice, which has never really been an issue. For whatever reason, I can't upload the the videos 🙁, but I think these are the two positions that are causing me problems. How do I get the club into a better position, especially near impact? 

IMG_0454.PNG

IMG_0455.PNG

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I’ll throw my .02 cents. I wouldn’t worry about club position at top, you can live with that. It appears to me that you have very little hip turn in backswing and then compensate by little shoulder turn near impact. Separately they are fine but I would say more hips in backswing and more open shoulders at impact. I fight the same thing. I call it a fake turn. Difference with me is that I am way inside so it’s either a block or a snap hook. Drill that has worked for me is the simple toe up to toe up drill to try to ingrain the movements and still be able to tell where club head is. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Really need more info @GB13 and remember it's just 'opinions' here and you will get many variations, but sometimes it's just a wee tweak you need or a second set of eyes to spot something obvious. However, some set up pics, impact and face on pics and or video would help a lot to get some more relevant input.

On saying all that, what are you aligning to? initial pic 'appears' to have you aiming at the big tree on the right. Maybe basic fundamental alignment of feet, knees, hips and shoulders parallel left of target would be a good start.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

What is the problem you are trying to fix? Ball flight?

Nvm. Just saw that it’s a block/slice . I have the same issue.

I am no expert by any means but when it happens to me it’s a similar position to your down swing. When I am having the problem I’m swinging to fast, and I get the club to far on the inside and have to compensate to get the club back to square.

I can go further into detail if you want. Let me know.

First, identify the cause...The block/slice is a product of an open face at impact.

The most common cause is from sliding laterally through impact. I’d be willing to bet this is the cause as your stance looks quite narrow. It’s easy to slide when your base isn’t wide.

Think of it this way.

If your swing was a pendulum and I looked at you face on, impact would be the lowest point of the pendulum.

Ideally, you would strike the ball from the same setup position when you begin your swing.

When you slide, your body tends to start moving laterally towards your target as you begin your downswing and downward rotation.

That new base of your pendulum slides forward and as a result, the club face is open as you are striking the ball before your club bottoms out at the base of the pendulum.

A quick fix...

Widen your stance just a little and put a stake in the ground against your left side.

Good luck, you’ve got a good looking swing!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Looks like an early extension issue where you've blocked your right elbow against your right side. Root cause could be you've pushed off with your right leg (extending it and pushing your right hip towards the target line too early in your downswing).  Weight pressure your right hip in the backswing , keep your butt on the tush line in the early downswing (ie. up to left arm parallel) , then use right pitch elbow move but this time it will have enough room to be in front for your right hip rather than behind it.

PS. You can use the extension of your legs to help turn your pelvis later in your downswing, just don't do it so early.

Edited by Wildthing

Man. I’ve been there, but I would find a pro on Instagram and send in video lessons. Bryan Pate is one that only charges $50, and he’s pretty good. He’s worked at the Tour Striker Academy and doesn’t have a ton of students that would keep him from replying quickly. I’ve sent him a couple videos and enjoyed his instruction. Here’s his page. I would start with a Pro before I’d start on here.... Good luck!!!!
IMG_9137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Really need more info @GB13 and remember it's just 'opinions' here and you will get many variations, but sometimes it's just a wee tweak you need or a second set of eyes to spot something obvious. However, some set up pics, impact and face on pics and or video would help a lot to get some more relevant input.

On saying all that, what are you aligning to? initial pic 'appears' to have you aiming at the big tree on the right. Maybe basic fundamental alignment of feet, knees, hips and shoulders parallel left of target would be a good start.

I know, I really wish I could get the videos to upload. But you are correct, I am set up way to the right of my target line. For a small reference, this ended up being probably my best iron shot of the day, which started 10 feet left of the pin and didn't curve much at all. Clearly, I came over the top and pulled it relative to my stance, but that isn't a repeatable way to swing the club. 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

First, identify the cause...The block/slice is a product of an open face at impact.

The most common cause is from sliding laterally through impact. I’d be willing to bet this is the cause as your stance looks quite narrow. It’s easy to slide when your base isn’t wide.

Think of it this way.

If your swing was a pendulum and I looked at you face on, impact would be the lowest point of the pendulum.

Ideally, you would strike the ball from the same setup position when you begin your swing.

When you slide, your body tends to start moving laterally towards your target as you begin your downswing and downward rotation.

That new base of your pendulum slides forward and as a result, the club face is open as you are striking the ball before your club bottoms out at the base of the pendulum.

A quick fix...

Widen your stance just a little and put a stake in the ground against your left side.

Good luck, you’ve got a good looking swing!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks for your help, again, wish I could load the videos, but with these screenshots, can you see a definite slide? I've really worked on sliding less, last year I had a huuuuge slide, I thought I was doing better but could be wrong .

IMG_0456.PNG

IMG_0457.PNG

IMG_0458.PNG

Generally, to post videos you need to put them on YouTube and then paste the link here.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for your help, again, wish I could load the videos, but with these screenshots, can you see a definite slide? I've really worked on sliding less, last year I had a huuuuge slide, I thought I was doing better but could be wrong .

IMG_0456.thumb.PNG.f16042ace3500160b97c928500a47579.PNG
IMG_0457.thumb.PNG.c6c5b96cc2386b0571bf068c146ac43f.PNG
IMG_0458.thumb.PNG.6591b5d7f47d994dda0138f8611a0439.PNG

Simple answer, it’s difficult to tell with still photos.

Your issues are relatable and that was what prompted me to offer the assistance. If it’s not the issue it won’t be detrimental to your swing.

I’d take@pmookie advice and look up Bryan Pate. I’d also look up Mike Bender. I can speak to the latter as someone who helped me better realize the transition and downswing into the ball.

If it’s worth fixing it’s worth paying for. Good luck
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/