deejaid

What’s on your workbench?

Another unseasonably rainy day here so It was a perfect time to pull the KZG heads and reshaft them with some old school Dynamic Gold R300’s. Got my 1970’s style ferrules from BB&F co. yesterday and they look sick!

IMG_1202.jpg

So, any you other spies got something cooking on your workbench?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Got the KZG’s epoxied and curing.

IMG_1203.jpg

Still need the grips to arrive before I can finish them up.

Meanwhile, I received a lovely 1957 Macgregor M85 driver that has never been refinished. It has the Tourney C stiff shaft that is in my M85 3 & 4 woods so this driver will complete the set.

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

I hope to get the soleplate and insert removed and re-affixed with epoxy today and begin stripping the finish Wednesday. There is some beautiful grain hiding under that old finish.

IMG_1189.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I have a set of Hogan Edge Pros waiting for me to pull the shafts and build to my specs. Looking for some shafts as well. 

• Like 1

Those ferrules are

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Those ferrules are

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, they look awesome. I started doing matching paint fill but it became too much and it took away from the pop of the ferrules.

• Like 1

Yeah, they look awesome. I started doing matching paint fill but it became too much and it took away from the pop of the ferrules.

I’d leave them be, it’s really a nice complement.
  • Like 1

This is something I'm really wanted to get more into. I change my own grips and tinker a bit but I'm going to be getting a swing weight scale and some other things for Father's Day. I want to move slow but I want to start doing my own builds eventually. The only thing I have currently that I'm working on is I have a few irons that need re-gripped :)

Oh...and the ferrules are fire!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, deejaid said:

Got the KZG’s epoxied and curing.

IMG_1203.jpg

Still need the grips to arrive before I can finish them up.

Meanwhile, I received a lovely 1957 Macgregor M85 driver that has never been refinished. It has the Tourney C stiff shaft that is in my M85 3 & 4 woods so this driver will complete the set.

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

I hope to get the soleplate and insert removed and re-affixed with epoxy today and begin stripping the finish Wednesday. There is some beautiful grain hiding under that old finish.

IMG_1189.jpg

California Funkadelic!!!!!

• Like 1

Man my work bench is cluttered right now--- Too darn hot to work in the shop at 101* right now and I am not talking about heat index either I am talking actual temperature. But I have several things going among them an experimental bullseye. My old window unit has given up the ghost out there so in the house I stay. Did sorta re whip a persimmon 4 wood Saturday. The cotton winding had came loose on an old Keyhole 4 wood so I rewrapped the one end and secured with Super glue. I know not your style besides it ain't perfect and it is a gamer--- I was flat cranking that thing yesterday afternoon!! It won it's spot along with the PB driver in the Persimmon set up

• Like 3

Man my work bench is cluttered right now--- Too darn hot to work in the shop at 101* right now and I am not talking about heat index either I am talking actual temperature. But I have several things going among them an experimental bullseye. My old window unit has given up the ghost out there so in the house I stay. Did sorta re whip a persimmon 4 wood Saturday. The cotton winding had came loose on an old Keyhole 4 wood so I rewrapped the one end and secured with Super glue. I know not your style besides it ain't perfect and it is a gamer--- I was flat cranking that thing yesterday afternoon!! It won it's spot along with the PB driver in the Persimmon set up

Yeah, once the workshop hits 90 that’s about it for me.

As for the 4-wood, Why did they use cotton whipping on the keyhole insert clubs anyway? By the 50’s they were using nylon, where the Keyholes meant to be a vintage style club?

• Like 1

So this is where a few of you other WRX refugees have been hanging out...  

Hey, welcome scomac! We’ve been here awhile, but not much talk of the classics so we need to split our time.

• Like 2

Thanks deejaid.  I'm afraid I'm not going to be talking about classics either, but it is a modification that I did this morning.

Considering it's a dull and drippy day with nothing better to do (or more appropriately no ambition), it was a good day for some club work.

I mentioned back in the winter that I was going full hacker and had picked up a Cleveland C wedge (also know as the dreaded chipper). It has sit in the box with the wrapper still on it as I really didn't want to have to resort to using such a cheater. Today my resolve weakened or more to the point my golf has been so poor around the green that I need a cheater to help with posting an acceptable score. The only problem with this club is that it comes at 34" stock length which just isn't going to cut it with my back.

Not to worry though as I had an extension leftover from the putter build, an extra grip and I even had a Tour Loc to counterbalance the shaft so the swing weight wouldn't end up E6!

First problem is that my extension was for a .580" shaft and the stock shaft in the chipper was .600". Not to worry, rather than cut down the extension I would use the entire 3 1/2" and cut down the club shaft by 2" in order to get a snug fit inside the first step-down. Worked like a charm!

As I'm waiting for the epoxy to dry I begin playing around with the grip and trying to figure out how to install the counterweight. I could put it in the end of the shaft and then struggle to fit the grip over it. Ideally you have a hole saw that cuts a countersunk hole in the end of the grip. I don't own such a beast so I look for something to fashion one out of.

Turns out that using a pipe cutter to cut down golf shafts rather than a hack saw will leave you with pretty sharp edges on the shaft. I use a step-down tee in the grip end as a guide and then proceed to take the waste bit of shaft and twist it back and forth until it cuts a perfect hole in the end cap of the grip! Job two done and by now the epoxy is set so I can install the grip.

Finished product playing at 36" versus the stock 34".  Red neck engineering at it's finest as I didn't have the right extension or the right tool, but found a way to work with what I had on hand. Now all I have to do is hide the cheater stick until I have to actually use it on the course.  😏

20190529_110325 (3).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks deejaid.  I'm afraid I'm not going to be talking about classics either, but it is a modification that I did this morning.

Considering it's a dull and drippy day with nothing better to do (or more appropriately no ambition), it was a good day for some club work.

I mentioned back in the winter that I was going full hacker and had picked up a Cleveland C wedge (also know as the dreaded chipper). It has sit in the box with the wrapper still on it as I really didn't want to have to resort to using such a cheater. Today my resolve weakened or more to the point my golf has been so poor around the green that I need a cheater to help with posting an acceptable score. The only problem with this club is that it comes at 34" stock length which just isn't going to cut it with my back.

Not to worry though as I had an extension leftover from the putter build, an extra grip and I even had a Tour Loc to counterbalance the shaft so the swing weight wouldn't end up E6!

First problem is that my extension was for a .580" shaft and the stock shaft in the chipper was .600". Not to worry, rather than cut down the extension I would use the entire 3 1/2" and cut down the club shaft by 2" in order to get a snug fit inside the first step-down. Worked like a charm!

As I'm waiting for the epoxy to dry I begin playing around with the grip and trying to figure out how to install the counterweight. I could put it in the end of the shaft and then struggle to fit the grip over it. Ideally you have a hole saw that cuts a countersunk hole in the end of the grip. I don't own such a beast so I look for something to fashion one out of.

Turns out that using a pipe cutter to cut down golf shafts rather than a hack saw will leave you with pretty sharp edges on the shaft. I use a step-down tee in the grip end as a guide and then proceed to take the waste bit of shaft and twist it back and forth until it cuts a perfect hole in the end cap of the grip! Job two done and by now the epoxy is set so I can install the grip.

Finished product playing at 36" versus the stock 34".  Red neck engineering at it's finest as I didn't have the right extension or the right tool, but found a way to work with what I had on hand. Now all I have to do is hide the cheater stick until I have to actually use it on the course.  

1112909182_20190529_110325(3).jpg.f084ecc58bc7322e980d4bf105fd8f9b.jpg

Haha, nice bit of ingenuity there scomac! Whatever it takes to get the job done. Have fun with your cheater club

• Like 2

18 hours ago, deejaid said:

Yeah, once the workshop hits 90 that’s about it for me.

As for the 4-wood, Why did they use cotton whipping on the keyhole insert clubs anyway? By the 50’s they were using nylon, where the Keyholes meant to be a vintage style club?

It was darn sure cotton our friend Randy from WRX gave me that 4 wood when he visited me last year. That thing is a pocket rocket. Wish I had it way back when--- I think it may have been refinished at some time he had found it at a GW.

3 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Finished product playing at 36" versus the stock 34".  Red neck engineering at it's finest as I didn't have the right extension or the right tool, but found a way to work with what I had on hand. Now all I have to do is hide the cheater stick until I have to actually use it on the course.  😏

20190529_110325 (3).jpg

Ain't any problem at all. These folks over here are receptive to anything you can post classics too

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

So this is where a few of you other WRX refugees have been hanging out...  🤨

Yep you found us

• Like 1

It was darn sure cotton our friend Randy from WRX gave me that 4 wood when he visited me last year. That thing is a pocket rocket. Wish I had it way back when--- I think it may have been refinished at some time he had found it at a GW.

I’ve got a set of keyholes in the stash here too and they’ve got the linen or cotton whipping as well. I’m thinking they are 1960’s vintage though, so I found it odd they would have cotton whipping instead of the nylon.

IMG_0288.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I’ve got a set of keyholes in the stash here too and they’ve got the linen or cotton whipping as well. I’m thinking they are 1960’s vintage though, so I found it odd they would have cotton whipping instead of the nylon.

IMG_0288.jpg

Man that driver has good grain!!!

• Like 1

I enjoy tinkering with clubs almost as much as playing.  Just put "Mizuno Blue" ferrules on my JPX 900 Hot Metals after MOI matching them.

• Like 3