TESTERS WANTED! ×

What’s on your workbench?

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, deejaid said:

Thanks. Yeah today’s shaft choices are overwhelming so I decided to build them as someone might have in 1992. Your right, Bernhard Langer did put those shafts in other clubs. I believe Mr. Hogan sent him a letter expressing his dislike of the practice. Haha, I love hearing how Ben Hogan used to get PO’d at guys putting his shafts in another manufacturers heads. I figured I’d do the same thing. emoji16.png

Actually just sold this set. I’ve got others in the works though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJ knows about this because we have talked about this before---- The Hogan Apex shafts were way ahead of their time. Back in the 70s it was a popular thing for good players and gamblers to put Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs. My old man was not a Hogan dealer for some reason he did not like Mr Hogan personally. He never stated why. Anyhow my old man had a fellow Pro friend in Eastern NC that was a Hogan dealer and he had him order shafts for him. There was one guy in Charlotte that had a club shop and installed the shafts in other clubs. I have seen Apex shafts in everything from 1953 Spalding Top flites to Wilson staffs. When the letter came out his friend sent him a copy. Basically Mr Hogan threatened any dealer that put Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs. Did not stop my old man or his bud any. He just ordered a full set of Hogan irons and they transferred the shafts to what ever. Those gamblers played for BIG money in those days and a hundred dollars made no difference to them. Sometimes I see some pristine 70s 80s Hogan heads pop up on E- Bay pristine and un hit and I wonder if that was one of the "Charlotte Conversion" sets left over and found. From my buddy Mitchell on WRX he has told me numerous times that it was not just a Charlotte thing that the practice was widespread in the Triad and Raleigh Durham area of NC too. I know my old man was a dyed in the wool Macgregor and Wilson man and he always said "he never knew why in the world someone would want to mess up a perfectly good set of Wilson or Macgregor irons by putting an inferior shaft in them."  When I did the conversion on my VIPs some 2 years ago I bet my old man rolled in his grave 3 times. He probably rolled over again when I did a similar conversion on a set of Muirfields. 

Another background to the story was the diversity of equipment ( like BBQ) in North Carolina.  The Mountain area the Piedmont area were mostly Macgregor and Wilson country--- The Raleigh Durham area and the Triad area were about the same. Now Eastern NC was Hogan country.  My old man was a big Macgregor Propel shaft fan. Actually he used to buy the sets of pull out Macgregor shafts from his friend. When Macgregor sold out and started using TT and Brunswick shafts he through some of his factory contacts bought a bunch of the old Propel shafts cheap. He had at least 2 barrels of them in the back room when he retired. Do not recall what happened to those shafts probably scrapped

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Another project set for the winter. I may put a set of Apex shafts in my 2013 Callaway X-Forged since the PXI Rifle 6.5s are a little too stiff for me to hit these days. But a note to DJ those 5.5 Rifles are not coming out of the KZG Teardrops ever. Who ever built those irons knew their stuff and I am not messing with them period. But you know me I gotta tinker

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yeah Stu I’ve been picking up Apex 4 shafts when I see them and the next project is the restored 1960 Hogan Power Thrust iron heads getting a set of Apex 4 shafts and new GripMaster leather grips. It will probably be a winter project though. My wife has me doing too many home projects to even think of working on any club projects right now.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Well it rained almost all day here but I did an experiment last night and used it for about 2 hours today. I have been on and off with the putter going on a year or so now. Had been doing the research on round putter grips and remembered I had several original Macgregors with stock leather grips. Took an old Cleveland designed by 8802 style that I have had for years and slid an old Tacki Mac wrap on it. Liked the feel and results. Now in the past I have been talking to a friend that DJ and I know on WRX about salvaging old leather wrap grips. I had some I had salvaged. I took another 8802 style putter I had called a Little David put a ladies round grip I had laying around on it. Roughed it up some and used a glue called  E-9000 that you buy at Wally World . Wrapped me a leather grip turned out well and I like the feel. Messed around and bent up an original Jack Nicklaus Mac 271 putter I had for a while and it has the original round leather grip on it. That is what I have been doing on a stormy day in the shop

G

• 11 months later...

It's been awhile since I posted to this thread, but that doesn't mean my workbench has been empty.

Just finished up this set of persimmons for someone.  They had seen better days for sure.  The 2-wood was even in two pieces!   

GolfClubs-01.jpg

GolfClubs-04-txt.jpg

IMG_2515.jpeg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Absolutely beautiful makeover. I have got to find some of my oldies and get them to you. Nice work. 

Thanks Ray. Yes, let me know when you want to send some over my way for a spa treatment.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter