TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Hard Rock Challenge 2019

JohnSmalls

46 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I was able to get in a full round today with the Nitro's. Shot 51/46 at Waterville Golf Course. Couldn't putt if my life depended on it, I ended up with 44 for the round with more 3 putts than I want to talk about. I felt like pulling a Patrick Reed with my putter. Overall, the Nitro's weren't horrible on full shots. I hit my first tee shot of the day and realized I forgot to turn Arccos on, so I turned it on teed up another ball and proceeded to hit a shot off the bottom of the clubhead that rattled my hands. They were LOUD off the Epic Flash, felt decent off the irons and wedges, and a bit tinny on putts. I wouldn't game them, but they weren't horrible.

20190614_213054-01.jpeg.5ac5563a2abd709b12e999e1548d11f7.jpeg

For your consideration in the competition, I offer up a longest drive of 256, a closest to the pin of 13 feet (measured by Arccos), I actually paced it off 11 1/2 paces of a 9 1/2 golf shoe, and a back nine of 46 with a 20.3 Arccos handicap.

Screenshot_20190615-181655_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac2f8b7c6040f3d64c0f592411a60d9f.jpeg

20190615_155510-01.jpeg.ac8a46f7a408aefc86df820ec9969188.jpeg

Screenshot_20190615-181331_Firefox-01.jpeg.434990eab6fbc32f5656f22c2d25fb91.jpegScreenshot_20190615-181714_Firefox-01.jpeg.b04f9ab9821fed93ae948214b8a25fc5.jpegScreenshot_20190601-220957_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac50bb9df8bb5257cbe714cfabb8266d.jpeg

I play from the whites on this course. Thank you for getting this together, it really makes you appreciate not hitting these rocks on a regular basis. My ears are still ringing, but I'm thankful that they didn't cave the face of my driver in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well done 👏.  Too bad the flat stick wasn't behaving itself.  It's hard to get all cylinders firing some most of the time 😉.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 6/12/2019 at 7:01 AM, MaxEntropy said:

First 9 on my 2019 Hard Rock Challenge is complete. Unfortunately, I discovered on the first tee that I had left the Molitor in my car, so was unable to see what kind of carnage would come from a full strike with this ball. I played a Pinnacle Power Core Straight Distance in our league last night. FYI - neither "Straight" nor "Distance" are accurate descriptors of this ball, but I assume that says more about me than the ball.

My league handicap for 9 holes is a 10 and the rating/slope for the tees we play are 68.9/119 and par for the 9 we played is 35 (overall par is 71). I shot a 43 with the Power Core. I didn't have any candidates for long drive or closest-to-pin as my best drive was into the wind and a bit uphill and missed all three greens on the par 3's. On full swings, I didn't do anything terrible, but it also wasn't great. Strangely, my short game was pretty good with this stupid rock and how this ball would react around the greens was my biggest concern. I had a few really solid chips and actually had a 3/4 gap wedge hop and stop. Putting was decent - I ended up with 15 putts and could have had 13 if I hadn't lipped out a couple 6 footers.

I don't know that I can make another attempt at this. The sound was so off-putting and bordering on dangerous to those around me even though I play forged irons and the feel...? I hit a 6 iron thin and I think my hands are still vibrating. I also hit an iron just ever so slightly towards the toe and it sounded like someone hit the bottom of a big stock pot with a hammer. It was really gross. Who knows, I may change my mind and try again, just so I can hit the Molitor.

I had three people in our league ask me on the practice green, "why in the hell are putting with Pinnacles?!?!?" My response: "I'm playing them today." I think some of them wanted to have me committed. Even the guys who generally don't care what golf ball they play (within reason, of course) thought I was crazy.

Let's see some more scores get posted...!

It's funny, but for a brief period of time Pinnacle's, like Molitor, were the rage.  I remember playing with my Dad and his foursome buddies in the 70's and they all played these balls.

Well done .  Too bad the flat stick wasn't behaving itself.  It's hard to get all cylinders firing some most of the time .
Thanks! I'm planning on taking the putter down tomorrow and getting it regripped it's feeling like I'm allowing it to get loose in my hands, so I want a bigger grip. I need to get fitted for one, but it's not in the cards right now.

15 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I was able to get in a full round today with the Nitro's. Shot 51/46 at Waterville Golf Course. Couldn't putt if my life depended on it, I ended up with 44 for the round with more 3 putts than I want to talk about. I felt like pulling a Patrick Reed with my putter. Overall, the Nitro's weren't horrible on full shots. I hit my first tee shot of the day and realized I forgot to turn Arccos on, so I turned it on teed up another ball and proceeded to hit a shot off the bottom of the clubhead that rattled my hands. They were LOUD off the Epic Flash, felt decent off the irons and wedges, and a bit tinny on putts. I wouldn't game them, but they weren't horrible.

20190614_213054-01.jpeg.5ac5563a2abd709b12e999e1548d11f7.jpeg

For your consideration in the competition, I offer up a longest drive of 256, a closest to the pin of 13 feet (measured by Arccos), I actually paced it off 11 1/2 paces of a 9 1/2 golf shoe, and a back nine of 46 with a 20.3 Arccos handicap.

Screenshot_20190615-181655_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac2f8b7c6040f3d64c0f592411a60d9f.jpeg

20190615_155510-01.jpeg.ac8a46f7a408aefc86df820ec9969188.jpeg

Screenshot_20190615-181331_Firefox-01.jpeg.434990eab6fbc32f5656f22c2d25fb91.jpegScreenshot_20190615-181714_Firefox-01.jpeg.b04f9ab9821fed93ae948214b8a25fc5.jpegScreenshot_20190601-220957_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac50bb9df8bb5257cbe714cfabb8266d.jpeg

I play from the whites on this course. Thank you for getting this together, it really makes you appreciate not hitting these rocks on a regular basis. My ears are still ringing, but I'm thankful that they didn't cave the face of my driver in.

Great write-up! 256 is no joke-with any ball!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I went out to do this Sunday before the US Open. I was playing well, then my hearing aid batteries died. You may think, “Big deal, why does that matter?”

It matters because at least for me, the sudden loss of hearing completely throws off my timing with the full swing and distance control with the putter. Also, when I first got my hearing aids I had the similar problems.

So, I bogeyed 1, parred 2 & 3, birdied 4, then my hearing aids quit in the middle of the number 5 fairway. I went on to a 42. I rarely ever 3 putt, but had four 3 putts on top of a number of other bad shots.

It was not an honest assessment of the rock hard balls. So, I will give this another shot and I will make sure I have extra batteries.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

11 hours ago, RoverRick said:

It matters because at least for me, the sudden loss of hearing completely throws off my timing with the full swing and distance control with the putter.

I'm going to put some ear plugs in next time I'm out and see if it has the opposite effect for me... maybe it will slow me down 😂.  That's a pisser and interesting at the same time.  It wouldn't immediately dawn on most us that muted hearing would negatively affect our game.  This probably goes without saying, but you already have the extra batteries in the bag now, right? 

So, I'm aiming to get out for my HRC round this weekend, perhaps as part of my usual skins game. I'll post the balls selected later because boy are they some doozies.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Wow, wish I had discovered this sooner! 

Can I get a pre-check on Vice Drive balls?  I have a bunch with my company logo on them. 

If not, I'll dip into my range ball stash, I'm sure I can find some old crap 🙂 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I'm going to put some ear plugs in next time I'm out and see if it has the opposite effect for me... maybe it will slow me down .  That's a pisser and interesting at the same time.  It wouldn't immediately dawn on most us that muted hearing would negatively affect our game.  This probably goes without saying, but you already have the extra batteries in the bag now, right? 

Full swing it sounds like a 1/4 swing practice swing and I then over compensate. Putts sound like I just tap them and they go 6’ by or I try to compensate for that and am 6’ short.

Mizuno touts “The Feel of Sound” it is so true.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

iJC3EFal.jpg

So, two of these balls have a story, the third one is an old Rock.

First, the pink ball. In 2017 my family took a vacation to Atlantic City for our Christmas gift. It had been a rough year and we wanted to get away for Christmas for the first time in forever. We stayed at the Bally's for a few days and my mom got us a Groupon for Glowgolf in the Showboat Hotel. To say the Showboat was abandoned by the people of Atlantic City would be kind. Apparently, the hotel had only recently reopened as a non-gaming hotel in 2016. We arrived prepared to play our round and had the Glowgolf experience of four adults. It was rinky dink and awful, our Groupon allowed 3 rounds, we only played one. However, on one of the holes I found this pink ball off course and threw it in my pocket to give back to the attendant. The ball never made it out of my pocket and I brought it back home. Yes, this is a legit mini-golf ball used at the now closed Glowgolf at the Showboat Hotel from Atlantic City and my first choice for the HRC.

Second, the non-descriptive range ball. I found this ball in my family garden 10 years ago, believed to have been hit by a younger me when I was hitting balls in the yard as a child and buried under high grass or wet ground. I have held onto it for no discernible reason and plan to use in case of loss of my Glowgolf prize.

Lastly, the HX Hot. Stupid long, stupid hard, spins lower than sumo figure skating .Wondering though if it'll qualify as it is a three piece ball upon further review. If not, replacement third ball, not pictured is a Pink Nitro from a golf outing last year that was never used.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

iJC3EFal.jpg
First, the pink ball. In 2017 my family took a vacation to Atlantic City for our Christmas gift. It had been a rough year and we wanted to get away for Christmas for the first time in forever. We stayed at the Bally's for a few days and my mom got us a Groupon for Glowgolf in the Showboat Hotel. To say the Showboat was abandoned by the people of Atlantic City would be kind. Apparently, the hotel had only recently reopened as a non-gaming hotel in 2016. We arrived prepared to play our round and had the Glowgolf experience of four adults. It was rinky dink and awful, our Groupon allowed 3 rounds, we only played one. However, on one of the holes I found this pink ball off course and threw it in my pocket to give back to the attendant. The ball never made it out of my pocket and I brought it back home. Yes, this is a legit mini-golf ball used at the now closed Glowgolf at the Showboat Hotel from Atlantic City and my first choice for the HRC.
Second, the non-descriptive range ball. I found this ball in my family garden 10 years ago, believed to have been hit by a younger me when I was hitting balls in the yard as a child and buried under high grass or wet ground. I have held onto it for no discernible reason and plan to use in case of loss of my Glowgolf prize.
Lastly, the HX Hot. Stupid long, stupid hard, spins lower than sumo figure skating .Wondering though if it'll qualify as it is a three piece ball upon further review. If not, replacement third ball, not pictured is a Pink Nitro from a golf outing last year that was never used.

Great write-up and a nice choice of rocks! It'll be interesting, to say the least, on how the mini golf ball will perform. The sumo line, that's just gold! I can't get the picture out of my head. Have fun chasing them around the course and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Played 18 holes today and the front 9 with my chosen hard rock.  Isn't she a beauty!!

1620323213_hardrock.jpg.7552e5303cc3b54ecbfb848a54c58771.jpg1162490075_hardrock1.jpg.a9a816c56ad8c89e8f50268c53f08df1.jpg

I had planned to hit a bucket of balls before playing, but the course was wide open and weather predicted stronger winds later in the morning; so I headed straight to the tee.  Here's my scorecard and the course rating info.  I played from the white, then blue tees.  

1856979193_BHcard.jpg.49353be94d5497a96ea30b6ac2a7e1f1.jpg1108400433_bhcard1.jpg.26ee984e428931f2f0c5fdb18d0011d1.jpg

The driver, while not long today, found the fairway on 5 holes.  I nearly eagled #4 with a second shot that ran from the front apron up to within a foot of the flag.  My yardages are starting to get better dialed in with the new irons - though I have to admit, I'm still guessing a bit 😱.  Really good today was my alignment - fun watching balls fly right at the flag.  With the wind behind me on #9, and 154 yards to the pin, I opted to use my 8i and that shot rolled to within 5 feet (missed the birdie putt).  Short of a gut shot, I've never hit an 8i that far.  These G410's have some awesome carry distance.  

No candidates for closest to the pin on par 3's but was tickled with the 4i that ran onto the green on hole #8 (202 yards). On hole #7, my drive measured 262 yards, leaving me ~80 yards but with some tree limbs to worry about.  With that thought in my head, I gutted my UW and it ran across the green but just short of the creek 🤬.  It was the first s***-shot I'd hit in the round and I was so trying to get thru the nine w/o doing so. My third shot backswing was into the tall grass (like 2 feet high grass) and I barely got it onto the back apron...oh well, it could have been into the hazard.  

Perhaps best performing today was my putter; 16 putts on the front and 18 on the back.  My lags were scaring the hole and a few were within the length of the putter head. I continued to play the XL3000 on the back nine and was able to complete the round with it although I had to rescue it from the pond on #16, and caught a break on a approach that hit a tree along the OB line but careened back into the fairway 🤗.

I'm scheduled to play with a friend on Monday and may try another round with a Kryptonite rock - one of those Hogan 392's.

14 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great write-up and a nice choice of rocks! It'll be interesting, to say the least, on how the mini golf ball will perform. The sumo line, that's just gold! I can't get the picture out of my head. Have fun chasing them around the course and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Well sir, not to disappoint, but I stole the thought of the sumo from Geico and this ad from last year.

SIK Golf Flo-C

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Played 18 holes today and the front 9 with my chosen hard rock.  Isn't she a beauty!!

1620323213_hardrock.jpg.7552e5303cc3b54ecbfb848a54c58771.jpg1162490075_hardrock1.jpg.a9a816c56ad8c89e8f50268c53f08df1.jpg

I had planned to hit a bucket of balls before playing, but the course was wide open and weather predicted stronger winds later in the morning; so I headed straight to the tee.  Here's my scorecard and the course rating info.  I played from the white, then blue tees.  

1856979193_BHcard.jpg.49353be94d5497a96ea30b6ac2a7e1f1.jpg1108400433_bhcard1.jpg.26ee984e428931f2f0c5fdb18d0011d1.jpg

The driver, while not long today, found the fairway on 5 holes.  I nearly eagled #4 with a second shot that ran from the front apron up to within a foot of the flag.  My yardages are starting to get better dialed in with the new irons - though I have to admit, I'm still guessing a bit 😱.  Really good today was my alignment - fun watching balls fly right at the flag.  With the wind behind me on #9, and 154 yards to the pin, I opted to use my 8i and that shot rolled to within 5 feet (missed the birdie putt).  Short of a gut shot, I've never hit an 8i that far.  These G410's have some awesome carry distance.  

No candidates for closest to the pin on par 3's but was tickled with the 4i that ran onto the green on hole #8 (202 yards). On hole #7, my drive measured 262 yards, leaving me ~80 yards but with some tree limbs to worry about.  With that thought in my head, I gutted my UW and it ran across the green but just short of the creek 🤬.  It was the first s***-shot I'd hit in the round and I was so trying to get thru the nine w/o doing so. My third shot backswing was into the tall grass (like 2 feet high grass) and I barely got it onto the back apron...oh well, it could have been into the hazard.  

Perhaps best performing today was my putter; 16 putts on the front and 18 on the back.  My lags were scaring the hole and a few were within the length of the putter head. I continued to play the XL3000 on the back nine and was able to complete the round with it although I had to rescue it from the pond on #16, and caught a break on a approach that hit a tree along the OB line but careened back into the fairway 🤗.

I'm scheduled to play with a friend on Monday and may try another round with a Kryptonite rock - one of those Hogan 392's.

Awesome round, we have a new long drive champ! And we might have a new #1 on the leaderboard!   I have to admire your persistence in trying to lose that XL on the back 9

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

19 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

iJC3EFal.jpg

This is exactly what I was hoping to see when we started this competition last year!  Awesome choices!  Can't wait to see your write up from your round.  FWIW, HX Hot was a winner last year!

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

On 5/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, JohnSmalls said:

Adjusted Scores:
JohnSmalls---------------34.35 (Nitro Extreme Distance, Pinnacle Gold)
Fixurdivot------------------34.59 (Top Flite XL3000)
MaxEntropy---------------35.57 (Pinnacle Power Core)
sirchunksalot------------38.21 (Nitro)
PING Apologist #9----43.02 (Precept EV)

@fixyurdivot  sooooooooo close! 

Gameday

Classic Bag

8 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Adjusted Scores:
JohnSmalls---------------34.35 (Nitro Extreme Distance, Pinnacle Gold)
Fixurdivot------------------34.59 (Top Flite XL3000)
MaxEntropy---------------35.57 (Pinnacle Power Core)
sirchunksalot------------38.21 (Nitro)
PING Apologist #9----43.02 (Precept EV)

OK, that's it....

I have to try to lower my score with the Molitor....

Game on!

<repeating encouraging words to myself to shave 2 strokes....>

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

37 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Awesome round, we have a new long drive champ! And we might have a new #1 on the leaderboard!   I have to admire your persistence in trying to lose that XL on the back 9

I'm on-line right now looking for more of those rocks!  At a buck a ball for this level of performance, are you kidding me? 😂  Note the "amazing soft feel" on the box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283502507803

The driver, while not long today, found the fairway on 5 holes.  I nearly eagled #4 with a second shot that ran from the front apron up to within a foot of the flag.  My yardages are starting to get better dialed in with the new irons - though I have to admit, I'm still guessing a bit .  Really good today was my alignment - fun watching balls fly right at the flag.  With the wind behind me on #9, and 154 yards to the pin, I opted to use my 8i and that shot rolled to within 5 feet (missed the birdie putt).  Short of a gut shot, I've never hit an 8i that far.  These G410's have some awesome carry distance.  
No candidates for closest to the pin on par 3's but was tickled with the 4i that ran onto the green on hole #8 (202 yards). On hole #7, my drive measured 262 yards, leaving me ~80 yards but with some tree limbs to worry about.  With that thought in my head, I gutted my UW and it ran across the green but just short of the creek .  It was the first s***-shot I'd hit in the round and I was so trying to get thru the nine w/o doing so. My third shot backswing was into the tall grass (like 2 feet high grass) and I barely got it onto the back apron...oh well, it could have been into the hazard.  
Perhaps best performing today was my putter; 16 putts on the front and 18 on the back.  My lags were scaring the hole and a few were within the length of the putter head. I continued to play the XL3000 on the back nine and was able to complete the round with it although I had to rescue it from the pond on #16, and caught a break on a approach that hit a tree along the OB line but careened back into the fairway .
Excellent round and a great drive of 262 with that rock! It sounds like you're really hitting the G410's well, too. That's some great yardage with an 8 iron. Did you find the Top Flite to be the bank you've been missing all your life? I also wonder why rocks are hard to lose, but premium balls seem to find the woods? Great job, you've given us all something to shoot for.

36 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Excellent round and a great drive of 262 with that rock! It sounds like you're really hitting the G410's well, too. That's some great yardage with an 8 iron. Did you find the Top Flite to be the bank you've been missing all your life? I also wonder why rocks are hard to lose, but premium balls seem to find the woods? Great job, you've given us all something to shoot for.

Thanks! The G410 driver is working well.  I think perhaps the most significant thing about it is that I had always had a prominent fade with my Callaway GBB driver - with a not so healthy portion of them being heavy fades losing both distance and getting into trouble.  The change to the Callaway Razr-Fit in 2018 made a big difference in both distance and forgiveness; but I still tended to fade the ball. Since moving to the G410, I'm now seeing WAY more straight and even some slight draw ball flights than ever before.  

We can all laugh at these "hard rocks" (Rock-Flites in this case), but it's clear they can produce good rounds.  To be really honest, I did not find it offending from a sound or feel standpoint.  

10 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

OK, that's it....

I have to try to lower my score with the Molitor....

Game on!

<repeating encouraging words to myself to shave 2 strokes....>

Go get you that HRC trophy! 

Gameday

Classic Bag

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm on-line right now looking for more of those rocks!  At a buck a ball for this level of performance, are you kidding me? 😂  Note the "amazing soft feel" on the box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283502507803

Try our new soft feel 200 compression, only from Top Flite

Gameday

Classic Bag

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

We can all laugh at these "hard rocks" (Rock-Flites in this case), but it's clear they can produce good rounds.  To be really honest, I did not find it offending from a sound or feel standpoint.  

Honestly, this is on the money.  They aren't that bad, except at checking up around the green. Bump 'n runs for days.  They go forever off the tee!

Gameday

Classic Bag

Finally got a chance to enter a score in the HRC (sorry, I was not playing rocks in Mexico or at Pinehurst).  Yes, I was at the executive course at TFT.  The little one and I were running to get 9 in before dark, and I played like garbage.  But there were a couple of bright spots.

Score:  40
Par:  33
Course Rating:  62.1
Slope:  111
My Current Index:  6.2

I decided I'd play the current rock as long as I could manage to make at least bogeys with it.  Double-bogey = instant ejection.  So let's talk rocks:

image.png.ff45eb4d0b9b22cec9be047678d6356b.png

Of course, I had to start with a Molitor Cocktail.  It rattled the fillings out of my teeth with my first swing, but I managed to make a par with it.  Then landing on hardpan led to a semi-bladed wedge over a green, minor hand trauma, and a double-bogey.  So out goes the Molitor.

image.png.93046d142aaa2e097b1ae1002919cb5b.png

On to the bright orange Titleist Velocity.  I'll tell you what; it's aptly named:

image.thumb.png.e9e96ba25a7a15ac2c49394e03a61759.png

It was hard to see; I thought I actually hadn't hit it all that well, but I guess I did.  Oh, and as for that 74 yard LW...

image.thumb.png.0ebdb7c111b1bd9db817d2859f788697.png

It turned out OK.  It rolled out about 10 feet or so to finish up an inch short of an eagle.  I managed to make the putt.  I played the Velocity for five holes, and I was actually kind of enjoying it until I hit the world's worst wedge shot 20 yards left of the green and into a hazard.  So on to my final ball...

image.png.715c79a1f94a8c6480d14286525dd804.png

Yes folks, it was time to go for the gold.  And my crappy play continued.  I had trouble finding the golf course for the last two holes.  I even tried to lose the PG on 9, but I managed to find it in the hazard and got it out after two hacks at it.

To be honest, I could possibly play the Velocity if I practiced with it around the greens.  It's like chipping/pitching a superball, not a regular golf ball.

I know my score's not going to win me anything, but hopefully that long drive will hold up.  I'll definitely be trying for a better score if I get another chance.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

So, my HRC round won't be this weekend due to crazy rain in CNY, 3 inches in a day! Gonna push for a post work run-out or last resort next Saturday

SIK Golf Flo-C

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Finally got a chance to enter a score in the HRC (sorry, I was not playing rocks in Mexico or at Pinehurst).  Yes, I was at the executive course at TFT.  The little one and I were running to get 9 in before dark, and I played like garbage.  But there were a couple of bright spots.

Score:  40
Par:  33
Course Rating:  62.1
Slope:  111
My Current Index:  6.2

I decided I'd play the current rock as long as I could manage to make at least bogeys with it.  Double-bogey = instant ejection.  So let's talk rocks:

image.png.ff45eb4d0b9b22cec9be047678d6356b.png

Of course, I had to start with a Molitor Cocktail.  It rattled the fillings out of my teeth with my first swing, but I managed to make a par with it.  Then landing on hardpan led to a semi-bladed wedge over a green, minor hand trauma, and a double-bogey.  So out goes the Molitor.

image.png.93046d142aaa2e097b1ae1002919cb5b.png

On to the bright orange Titleist Velocity.  I'll tell you what; it's aptly named:

image.thumb.png.e9e96ba25a7a15ac2c49394e03a61759.png

It was hard to see; I thought I actually hadn't hit it all that well, but I guess I did.  Oh, and as for that 74 yard LW...

image.thumb.png.0ebdb7c111b1bd9db817d2859f788697.png

It turned out OK.  It rolled out about 10 feet or so to finish up an inch short of an eagle.  I managed to make the putt.  I played the Velocity for five holes, and I was actually kind of enjoying it until I hit the world's worst wedge shot 20 yards left of the green and into a hazard.  So on to my final ball...

image.png.715c79a1f94a8c6480d14286525dd804.png

Yes folks, it was time to go for the gold.  And my crappy play continued.  I had trouble finding the golf course for the last two holes.  I even tried to lose the PG on 9, but I managed to find it in the hazard and got it out after two hacks at it.

To be honest, I could possibly play the Velocity if I practiced with it around the greens.  It's like chipping/pitching a superball, not a regular golf ball.

I know my score's not going to win me anything, but hopefully that long drive will hold up.  I'll definitely be trying for a better score if I get another chance.

Could Titleist have possibly picked a worse color orange? 😄

It was the worst of times, it was the best of times playing my second round of the HRC. My first nine holes made me question my sanity for willingly choosing to subject myself to this game. I couldn't do anything right from driver to putter. I nearly hit myself with a ball on 7 when I hit 3 wood dead into the trunk of a tree and it ricocheted back at me. My driving was the worst it's been since starting to game the Epic Flash Sub Zero, and I was a three putt machine. I ended up shooting 51 on the front.

Then I got to the back nine where I shot the best nine hole round of my life. I have no earthly idea what happened, but I am not going to complain. I wasn't long off the tee, but I was fairly accurate and was hitting greens. Hit 4/6 fairways and 6/9 greens and only had four three putts. Had four pars, three bogeys, and two doubles for a 42. This was with Nitro's! Played Waterville again from the whites which have a course and slope rating of 33.7/115 for the back nine. My Arccos handicap is sitting at 20.3. I'm just going to forget the front ever happened.
giphy(2).gif

Here's my scorecard:
Screenshot_20190621-113853_Firefox.jpeg

7 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

It was the worst of times, it was the best of times playing my second round of the HRC. My first nine holes made me question my sanity for willingly choosing to subject myself to this game. I couldn't do anything right from driver to putter. I nearly hit myself with a ball on 7 when I hit 3 wood dead into the trunk of a tree and it ricocheted back at me. My driving was the worst it's been since starting to game the Epic Flash Sub Zero, and I was a three putt machine. I ended up shooting 51 on the front.

Then I got to the back nine where I shot the best nine hole round of my life. I have no earthly idea what happened, but I am not going to complain. I wasn't long off the tee, but I was fairly accurate and was hitting greens. Hit 4/6 fairways and 6/9 greens and only had four three putts. Had four pars, three bogeys, and two doubles for a 42. This was with Nitro's! Played Waterville again from the whites which have a course and slope rating of 33.7/115 for the back nine. My Arccos handicap is sitting at 20.3. I'm just going to forget the front ever happened.
giphy(2).gif

Here's my scorecard:
Screenshot_20190621-113853_Firefox.jpeg

Well done! You just have to laugh at those Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde rounds.

Here's a hot rock I launched into the pasture this afternoon.HR1.jpg.65fd4354bbad82695cf6d28f89650cbf.jpgHR2.jpg.6834d9e197d1d4d81ebae4fff685312c.jpg

It felt quite hot while teeing it up...

HR.jpg.660ebc28f2c129a233db97a560c45382.jpg

Spontaneous combustion off the tee...

hr4.jpg.acf7b19d0e04970b4666b675df674a76.jpg

Upon re-entry to our atmosphere and terra-firma...

hr5.jpg.bc3b91b76b95a6939fae7d7b20aec4f6.jpg

Be safe out there gentlemen 😱!!!

On ‎06‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, Berg Ryman said:

Well sir, not to disappoint, but I stole the thought of the sumo from Geico and this ad from last year.

So classic...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers