JohnSmalls

MGS Hard Rock Challenge 2019

So I was just searching my bucket of garbage balls and came across a Molitor. Did the drop test on my basement floor. Good lord! That thing sounded like a billiard ball hitting the concrete. It almost startled me. It's there a risk of explosion with these things? Now I'll have to play it at least one hole. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Tomorrow will be my first effort.... I may try again if they're are no shrapnel wounds. 

@JohnSmalls, I need a ruling: does a Slazenger Raw Distance qualify? If not, I have Pinnacle gold waiting to cause some damage. 

Enjoy the round!  Regular Raw Distance is good 👍.  However, DSG released a Raw Distance Feel that is low compression, so if it's that one toss it to the neighbor. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

So I was just searching my bucket of garbage balls and came across a Molitor. Did the drop test on my basement floor. Good lord! That thing sounded like a billiard ball hitting the concrete. It almost startled me. It's there a risk of explosion with these things? Now I'll have to play it at least one hole. 

Molitor cocktails going down tomorrow!  Is it possible those are higher compression than a Top Flite?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

Molitor cocktails going down tomorrow!  Is it possible those are higher compression than a Top Flite?

It certainly sounds harder

12 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Molitor cocktails

I remember when these were the rage.  Responsible for more persimmon wood carnage than any other ball made. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Enjoy the round!  Regular Raw Distance is good 👍.  However, DSG released a Raw Distance Feel that is low compression, so if it's that one toss it to the neighbor. 

It is a RAW Distance, Soft Feel. How and why do you know so much about golf balls?

3 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

It is a RAW Distance, Soft Feel. How and why do you know so much about golf balls?

It's all about the Google.  I don't remember all of this stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

First 9 on my 2019 Hard Rock Challenge is complete. Unfortunately, I discovered on the first tee that I had left the Molitor in my car, so was unable to see what kind of carnage would come from a full strike with this ball. I played a Pinnacle Power Core Straight Distance in our league last night. FYI - neither "Straight" nor "Distance" are accurate descriptors of this ball, but I assume that says more about me than the ball.

My league handicap for 9 holes is a 10 and the rating/slope for the tees we play are 68.9/119 and par for the 9 we played is 35 (overall par is 71). I shot a 43 with the Power Core. I didn't have any candidates for long drive or closest-to-pin as my best drive was into the wind and a bit uphill and missed all three greens on the par 3's. On full swings, I didn't do anything terrible, but it also wasn't great. Strangely, my short game was pretty good with this stupid rock and how this ball would react around the greens was my biggest concern. I had a few really solid chips and actually had a 3/4 gap wedge hop and stop. Putting was decent - I ended up with 15 putts and could have had 13 if I hadn't lipped out a couple 6 footers.

I don't know that I can make another attempt at this. The sound was so off-putting and bordering on dangerous to those around me even though I play forged irons and the feel...? I hit a 6 iron thin and I think my hands are still vibrating. I also hit an iron just ever so slightly towards the toe and it sounded like someone hit the bottom of a big stock pot with a hammer. It was really gross. Who knows, I may change my mind and try again, just so I can hit the Molitor.

I had three people in our league ask me on the practice green, "why in the hell are putting with Pinnacles?!?!?" My response: "I'm playing them today." I think some of them wanted to have me committed. Even the guys who generally don't care what golf ball they play (within reason, of course) thought I was crazy.

Let's see some more scores get posted...!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was able to get in a full round today with the Nitro's. Shot 51/46 at Waterville Golf Course. Couldn't putt if my life depended on it, I ended up with 44 for the round with more 3 putts than I want to talk about. I felt like pulling a Patrick Reed with my putter. Overall, the Nitro's weren't horrible on full shots. I hit my first tee shot of the day and realized I forgot to turn Arccos on, so I turned it on teed up another ball and proceeded to hit a shot off the bottom of the clubhead that rattled my hands. They were LOUD off the Epic Flash, felt decent off the irons and wedges, and a bit tinny on putts. I wouldn't game them, but they weren't horrible.

20190614_213054-01.jpeg.5ac5563a2abd709b12e999e1548d11f7.jpeg

For your consideration in the competition, I offer up a longest drive of 256, a closest to the pin of 13 feet (measured by Arccos), I actually paced it off 11 1/2 paces of a 9 1/2 golf shoe, and a back nine of 46 with a 20.3 Arccos handicap.

Screenshot_20190615-181655_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac2f8b7c6040f3d64c0f592411a60d9f.jpeg

20190615_155510-01.jpeg.ac8a46f7a408aefc86df820ec9969188.jpeg

Screenshot_20190615-181331_Firefox-01.jpeg.434990eab6fbc32f5656f22c2d25fb91.jpegScreenshot_20190615-181714_Firefox-01.jpeg.b04f9ab9821fed93ae948214b8a25fc5.jpegScreenshot_20190601-220957_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac50bb9df8bb5257cbe714cfabb8266d.jpeg

I play from the whites on this course. Thank you for getting this together, it really makes you appreciate not hitting these rocks on a regular basis. My ears are still ringing, but I'm thankful that they didn't cave the face of my driver in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I was able to get in a full round today with the Nitro's. Shot 51/46 at Waterville Golf Course. Couldn't putt if my life depended on it, I ended up with 44 for the round with more 3 putts than I want to talk about. I felt like pulling a Patrick Reed with my putter. Overall, the Nitro's weren't horrible on full shots. I hit my first tee shot of the day and realized I forgot to turn Arccos on, so I turned it on teed up another ball and proceeded to hit a shot off the bottom of the clubhead that rattled my hands. They were LOUD off the Epic Flash, felt decent off the irons and wedges, and a bit tinny on putts. I wouldn't game them, but they weren't horrible.

For your consideration in the competition, I offer up a longest drive of 256, a closest to the pin of 13 feet (measured by Arccos), I actually paced it off 11 1/2 paces of a 9 1/2 golf shoe, and a back nine of 46 with a 20.3 Arccos handicap.

Screenshot_20190615-181655_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac2f8b7c6040f3d64c0f592411a60d9f.jpeg

Screenshot_20190615-181331_Firefox-01.jpeg.434990eab6fbc32f5656f22c2d25fb91.jpegScreenshot_20190615-181714_Firefox-01.jpeg.b04f9ab9821fed93ae948214b8a25fc5.jpegScreenshot_20190601-220957_Firefox-01.jpeg.ac50bb9df8bb5257cbe714cfabb8266d.jpeg

I play from the whites on this course. Thank you for getting this together, it really makes you appreciate not hitting these rocks on a regular basis. My ears are still ringing, but I'm thankful that they didn't cave the face of my driver in.

Well done 👏.  Too bad the flat stick wasn't behaving itself.  It's hard to get all cylinders firing some most of the time 😉.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 7:01 AM, MaxEntropy said:

First 9 on my 2019 Hard Rock Challenge is complete. Unfortunately, I discovered on the first tee that I had left the Molitor in my car, so was unable to see what kind of carnage would come from a full strike with this ball. I played a Pinnacle Power Core Straight Distance in our league last night. FYI - neither "Straight" nor "Distance" are accurate descriptors of this ball, but I assume that says more about me than the ball.

My league handicap for 9 holes is a 10 and the rating/slope for the tees we play are 68.9/119 and par for the 9 we played is 35 (overall par is 71). I shot a 43 with the Power Core. I didn't have any candidates for long drive or closest-to-pin as my best drive was into the wind and a bit uphill and missed all three greens on the par 3's. On full swings, I didn't do anything terrible, but it also wasn't great. Strangely, my short game was pretty good with this stupid rock and how this ball would react around the greens was my biggest concern. I had a few really solid chips and actually had a 3/4 gap wedge hop and stop. Putting was decent - I ended up with 15 putts and could have had 13 if I hadn't lipped out a couple 6 footers.

I don't know that I can make another attempt at this. The sound was so off-putting and bordering on dangerous to those around me even though I play forged irons and the feel...? I hit a 6 iron thin and I think my hands are still vibrating. I also hit an iron just ever so slightly towards the toe and it sounded like someone hit the bottom of a big stock pot with a hammer. It was really gross. Who knows, I may change my mind and try again, just so I can hit the Molitor.

I had three people in our league ask me on the practice green, "why in the hell are putting with Pinnacles?!?!?" My response: "I'm playing them today." I think some of them wanted to have me committed. Even the guys who generally don't care what golf ball they play (within reason, of course) thought I was crazy.

Let's see some more scores get posted...!

It's funny, but for a brief period of time Pinnacle's, like Molitor, were the rage.  I remember playing with my Dad and his foursome buddies in the 70's and they all played these balls.

• Like 2

Well done .  Too bad the flat stick wasn't behaving itself.  It's hard to get all cylinders firing some most of the time .
Thanks! I'm planning on taking the putter down tomorrow and getting it regripped it's feeling like I'm allowing it to get loose in my hands, so I want a bigger grip. I need to get fitted for one, but it's not in the cards right now.

15 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great write-up! 256 is no joke-with any ball!

• Like 2

I went out to do this Sunday before the US Open. I was playing well, then my hearing aid batteries died. You may think, “Big deal, why does that matter?”

It matters because at least for me, the sudden loss of hearing completely throws off my timing with the full swing and distance control with the putter. Also, when I first got my hearing aids I had the similar problems.

So, I bogeyed 1, parred 2 & 3, birdied 4, then my hearing aids quit in the middle of the number 5 fairway. I went on to a 42. I rarely ever 3 putt, but had four 3 putts on top of a number of other bad shots.

It was not an honest assessment of the rock hard balls. So, I will give this another shot and I will make sure I have extra batteries.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

11 hours ago, RoverRick said:

It matters because at least for me, the sudden loss of hearing completely throws off my timing with the full swing and distance control with the putter.

I'm going to put some ear plugs in next time I'm out and see if it has the opposite effect for me... maybe it will slow me down 😂.  That's a pisser and interesting at the same time.  It wouldn't immediately dawn on most us that muted hearing would negatively affect our game.  This probably goes without saying, but you already have the extra batteries in the bag now, right? 

• Like 2

So, I'm aiming to get out for my HRC round this weekend, perhaps as part of my usual skins game. I'll post the balls selected later because boy are they some doozies.

• Like 1

Wow, wish I had discovered this sooner! 

Can I get a pre-check on Vice Drive balls?  I have a bunch with my company logo on them. 

If not, I'll dip into my range ball stash, I'm sure I can find some old crap 🙂 

• Like 4

I'm going to put some ear plugs in next time I'm out and see if it has the opposite effect for me... maybe it will slow me down .  That's a pisser and interesting at the same time.  It wouldn't immediately dawn on most us that muted hearing would negatively affect our game.  This probably goes without saying, but you already have the extra batteries in the bag now, right? 

Full swing it sounds like a 1/4 swing practice swing and I then over compensate. Putts sound like I just tap them and they go 6’ by or I try to compensate for that and am 6’ short.

Mizuno touts “The Feel of Sound” it is so true.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

iJC3EFal.jpg

So, two of these balls have a story, the third one is an old Rock.

First, the pink ball. In 2017 my family took a vacation to Atlantic City for our Christmas gift. It had been a rough year and we wanted to get away for Christmas for the first time in forever. We stayed at the Bally's for a few days and my mom got us a Groupon for Glowgolf in the Showboat Hotel. To say the Showboat was abandoned by the people of Atlantic City would be kind. Apparently, the hotel had only recently reopened as a non-gaming hotel in 2016. We arrived prepared to play our round and had the Glowgolf experience of four adults. It was rinky dink and awful, our Groupon allowed 3 rounds, we only played one. However, on one of the holes I found this pink ball off course and threw it in my pocket to give back to the attendant. The ball never made it out of my pocket and I brought it back home. Yes, this is a legit mini-golf ball used at the now closed Glowgolf at the Showboat Hotel from Atlantic City and my first choice for the HRC.

Second, the non-descriptive range ball. I found this ball in my family garden 10 years ago, believed to have been hit by a younger me when I was hitting balls in the yard as a child and buried under high grass or wet ground. I have held onto it for no discernible reason and plan to use in case of loss of my Glowgolf prize.

Lastly, the HX Hot. Stupid long, stupid hard, spins lower than sumo figure skating .Wondering though if it'll qualify as it is a three piece ball upon further review. If not, replacement third ball, not pictured is a Pink Nitro from a golf outing last year that was never used.

• Like 4