Our Sponsors

46 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

HARD ROCK CHALLENGE 2019: The Long Walk, partially spoiled

So, Sunday morning, rolled out of bed and hopped onto GolfNow and saw a hot deal for a course I thought of taking on for the HRC, Tecumseh Golf Club in Syracuse. 10 Bucks for 9 holes and a cart. Who says no? I thought it perfect because it wasn't long enough where playing a ball I could barely control would be a downside and playing restricted flight balls like a mini-golf and range ball wouldn't be awful. Boy was I about to learn my mistakes.

So, Tecumseh is a sleepy little 9 hole course with some bunkers around the corner from Drumlins, a golf property owned by Syracuse University. Two par 5's (although one is only 400 yards) and 3 par 3's (145, 180, and 210).

I started my round with the mini-golf ball I freed from Atlantic City. I gotta say, the thing flew pretty straight and a decent yardage off the driver. Nothing that would have qualified me for the Long Drive, but around 230-245 yards, which all things considered was pretty good. Normally I hit this driver around 255-265 so there is some distance loss but off the big stick it didn't feel like a rock. Irons though, whoa momma. I'd call it a knuckleball, but it's more like a wounded duck. So, first hole. Drive, pitch, two putt par. Second hole, drive and then I had 165 in on the par 5. Pin was at the back and I figured it wasn't going typical distances. Instead of my stock 7, I hit 6, ball never got above my shoulder and came up 15 yards short and it was a good strike. Got it up on the back edge with the third and 2 putted for par. Third, similar to the first and a par. Fourth hole, drove it hole high, pitched to 5 feet, made the birdie. 

I WAS -1 THROUGH 4 WITH A MINI-GOLF BALL

More importantly, I was having a blast. It was 4 of the most fun holes I've played this year. The ball wasn't so awful that I needed to make up for, but it was fun to try and work around some of the limitations and just swing my ass off to get it to where I needed. Plus since I was swinging free everything was working!

Then, I lost my mini-golf ball on the par 3 5th. I still don't understand how it happened. I tugged a 7 iron into the rough left of the green and never found it. I dropped the range ball, and that's when the problems started. Folks, I know it may go without saying, but RANGE BALLS SUCK. If there was a ball that would have fit the rock comparison it was this one. Chipped it short of the fringe and ball rolled to the other side of the green, lagged it close for a tap in double bogey 5. 5th hole, long par 3, I bunt a driver because I have no idea how the range ball is going to react. I fly it 135 yards, it runs another 35 uphill! I chip the second, it rolls of the back after I barely land it on the front third of the green, scramble from there to save bogey.

Then, the long Par 5, I hit driver and catch it bottom heel side. No joke, I drop the driver out of my hands as it makes a sound unlike anything I've heard in some time. It's like hearing a bird fly into a window mixed with the feeling of jack-hammering through solid granite. It is, without question, the worst feeling shot I've ever hit and I've broken irons with shanks when I was younger. But, it goes like 210. Then a 4 wood that goes like 180. I have roughly 110 to get home, I hit PW, shot lands 20 yards short and I'm getting mad. Then I try to bump it, ball runs over the green because it has no breaks even though I'm bumping it through the fairway. Chip back runs 12 feet past the hole and somehow I make the putt to save a 6.

The range ball then gets deposited as a gift to Poseidon on my drive to the 8th. From there, I pull out my HX Hot and play pretty regular golf, which I find kinda boring. A good break through the trees leaves me 3 feet for birdie on 8 which I convert and a simple up and down on 9 leaves me +2 for the day. 

7QeOTn9l.jpg 

In all, what are my takeways? First, this is really fun! @JohnSmalls should be given a kingdom for allowing us to do this. Secondly, If I had to play golf with a mini-golf ball I don't think I'd love it all the time, but for a round or a special tournament I'd think I'd manage. It putts really well (duh) and the distance loss isn't that weird. I'd reckon it's very similar to playing one of those lite-up balls for a night golf tournament. Thirdly, If I participate next year, I think I'm going the mini-golf ball route again over the traditional rocks. It was just more fun with that instead something that's used for rounds of golf by others, it just felt meh to me. Lastly, NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER, USE A RANGE BALL. THEY ARE THE DEVIL

Score: 37 (+2)

Handicap: 9.9

Slope/Rating: 103/65.8

This is just awesome!  Major props to playing both a PuttPutt/minigolf ball and a range ball.  This is a heck of a recap.  Between, @PING Apologist #9 's wardrobe of safety, and @fixyurdivot's meteorite you guys left your mark on the 2019 edition.  Keep up the good work guys!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the second edition of the Unofficial MGS Hard Rock Challenge!  Your 2018 Champs:  @HardcoreLooper, @JTexGolfer, and @bardle  Special thanks to @PlaidJacket for the idea of starting t

I just got home, and look at what was in the mail.  A big thank you goes out to @JohnSmalls for putting this all together! It was a great time sharing this experience with some amazing spies. You

Hard Rocks selected! All dressed up and ready to cause pain. For your reading displeasure I offer the following bombs; MAXFLI #1 Max Distance & #4 Revolution NIKE #4 Crush, #3

Posted Images

HARD ROCK CHALLENGE 2019: The Long Walk, partially spoiled

So, Sunday morning, rolled out of bed and hopped onto GolfNow and saw a hot deal for a course I thought of taking on for the HRC, Tecumseh Golf Club in Syracuse. 10 Bucks for 9 holes and a cart. Who says no? I thought it perfect because it wasn't long enough where playing a ball I could barely control would be a downside and playing restricted flight balls like a mini-golf and range ball wouldn't be awful. Boy was I about to learn my mistakes.
So, Tecumseh is a sleepy little 9 hole course with some bunkers around the corner from Drumlins, a golf property owned by Syracuse University. Two par 5's (although one is only 400 yards) and 3 par 3's (145, 180, and 210).
I started my round with the mini-golf ball I freed from Atlantic City. I gotta say, the thing flew pretty straight and a decent yardage off the driver. Nothing that would have qualified me for the Long Drive, but around 230-245 yards, which all things considered was pretty good. Normally I hit this driver around 255-265 so there is some distance loss but off the big stick it didn't feel like a rock. Irons though, whoa momma. I'd call it a knuckleball, but it's more like a wounded duck. So, first hole. Drive, pitch, two putt par. Second hole, drive and then I had 165 in on the par 5. Pin was at the back and I figured it wasn't going typical distances. Instead of my stock 7, I hit 6, ball never got above my shoulder and came up 15 yards short and it was a good strike. Got it up on the back edge with the third and 2 putted for par. Third, similar to the first and a par. Fourth hole, drove it hole high, pitched to 5 feet, made the birdie. 
I WAS -1 THROUGH 4 WITH A MINI-GOLF BALL
More importantly, I was having a blast. It was 4 of the most fun holes I've played this year. The ball wasn't so awful that I needed to make up for, but it was fun to try and work around some of the limitations and just swing my ass off to get it to where I needed. Plus since I was swinging free everything was working!
Then, I lost my mini-golf ball on the par 3 5th. I still don't understand how it happened. I tugged a 7 iron into the rough left of the green and never found it. I dropped the range ball, and that's when the problems started. Folks, I know it may go without saying, but RANGE BALLS SUCK. If there was a ball that would have fit the rock comparison it was this one. Chipped it short of the fringe and ball rolled to the other side of the green, lagged it close for a tap in double bogey 5. 5th hole, long par 3, I bunt a driver because I have no idea how the range ball is going to react. I fly it 135 yards, it runs another 35 uphill! I chip the second, it rolls of the back after I barely land it on the front third of the green, scramble from there to save bogey.
Then, the long Par 5, I hit driver and catch it bottom heel side. No joke, I drop the driver out of my hands as it makes a sound unlike anything I've heard in some time. It's like hearing a bird fly into a window mixed with the feeling of jack-hammering through solid granite. It is, without question, the worst feeling shot I've ever hit and I've broken irons with shanks when I was younger. But, it goes like 210. Then a 4 wood that goes like 180. I have roughly 110 to get home, I hit PW, shot lands 20 yards short and I'm getting mad. Then I try to bump it, ball runs over the green because it has no breaks even though I'm bumping it through the fairway. Chip back runs 12 feet past the hole and somehow I make the putt to save a 6.
The range ball then gets deposited as a gift to Poseidon on my drive to the 8th. From there, I pull out my HX Hot and play pretty regular golf, which I find kinda boring. A good break through the trees leaves me 3 feet for birdie on 8 which I convert and a simple up and down on 9 leaves me +2 for the day. 
7QeOTn9l.jpg 
In all, what are my takeways? First, this is really fun! [mention=70071]JohnSmalls[/mention] should be given a kingdom for allowing us to do this. Secondly, If I had to play golf with a mini-golf ball I don't think I'd love it all the time, but for a round or a special tournament I'd think I'd manage. It putts really well (duh) and the distance loss isn't that weird. I'd reckon it's very similar to playing one of those lite-up balls for a night golf tournament. Thirdly, If I participate next year, I think I'm going the mini-golf ball route again over the traditional rocks. It was just more fun with that instead something that's used for rounds of golf by others, it just felt meh to me. Lastly, NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER, USE A RANGE BALL. THEY ARE THE DEVIL
Score: 37 (+2)
Handicap: 9.9
Slope/Rating: 103/65.8
This is such a good write-up, you had me laughing through the whole thing. I give you major props for playing a mini golf ball, that's just awesome, man. I hope the feeling returns to your hands after that low face shot with the range ball, you have gone above and beyond in this Hard Rock Challenge. Great score!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

This is such a good write-up, you had me laughing through the whole thing. I give you major props for playing a mini golf ball, that's just awesome, man. I hope the feeling returns to your hands after that low face shot with the range ball, you have gone above and beyond in this Hard Rock Challenge. Great score!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That range ball strike was literally unlike anything I've felt. It was otherworldly. Thanks for the kind words my man, means alot.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

Ok looks like I’m just going to get in under the wire! Here’s what I’m bringing with me. Which do I start with?

IMG_5142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Alas, I forgot to take my bucket of crappy balls with me to the course Tuesday, so I did not get to make another attempt. If I assume I would have shot the same score with the rock, it would not have been an improvement, anyway.

@russtopherb, in my opinion, you should focus primarily on the Spongebob ball. I would love to see that on the course.

• Like 3

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Ok looks like I’m just going to get in under the wire! Here’s what I’m bringing with me. Which do I start with?

IMG_5142.jpg

I second the spongebob.  That's an impressive lineup of stones!

• Like 2

SkyCaddie SX400

Would the Strata Ace qualify though? 4 piece ball with a urethane cover. Only reason I know is because that was my ball of choice in high school until they stopped making it

• Like 1

Does Wilson "Tour Velocity Distance" qualify as a rock? Can't seem to find the cover material but I know it's a two piecer...

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Would the Strata Ace qualify though? 4 piece ball with a urethane cover. Only reason I know is because that was my ball of choice in high school until they stopped making it

Interesting. I didn’t know about it’s construction. Believe me, I have plenty of other older Top Flites to choose from.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Interesting. I didn’t know about it’s construction. Believe me, I have plenty of other older Top Flites to choose from.

Yeah man, I loved that ball. Furyk used it to win the 2003 US Open. I played some wild balls instead of the NXT Tours I was given in High School. Tour Ace, Dunlop Loco Pro and Loco Pro HT, Maxfli Tour Fire, Precept U-Tri Tour, First generation Srixon stuff in America... I miss those days and those balls!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Reading through this hurts my hands...

It's been two weeks since I did this and my hands are still vibrating....

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

It's been two weeks since I did this and my hands are still vibrating....

That driver swing I describe on my par 5 which nearly broke my brain because of how ridiculous it was sound and vibration wise was the last driver swing I've taken.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Good catch, it wouldn't qualify.  I didn't know anything about these nor get a chance to find anything this morning so I appreciate the info.

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

SkyCaddie SX400

3 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Yeah man, I loved that ball. Furyk used it to win the 2003 US Open. I played some wild balls instead of the NXT Tours I was given in High School. Tour Ace, Dunlop Loco Pro and Loco Pro HT, Maxfli Tour Fire, Precept U-Tri Tour, First generation Srixon stuff in America... I miss those days and those balls!

I haven't even heard of most of these 😂

SkyCaddie SX400

4 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Does Wilson "Tour Velocity Distance" qualify as a rock? Can't seem to find the cover material but I know it's a two piecer...

That definitely qualifies.  This is the last few days of competition, send 'em deep!

• Love 1

SkyCaddie SX400

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Reading through this hurts my hands...

You'll never know how great it is to pure a Top Flite until you post a score 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SkyCaddie SX400

OK I took everyone's thoughts into consideration and I teed off at Touisett Country Club in Swansea, MA with the SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS ball!

Mr Pants (or maybe Mr Square Pants? I honestly don't know) stayed with me until the third hole. Hole 1 is a 324 yard par4 and I hit my drive around 255, which is pretty good for me. Unfortunately I had a bit too much fade which dropped me behind a set of tree and practically in someone's backyard. Punched out, pitched to the green, 2 putt bogey. 

Hole 2 is another par 4, straight forward and another solid drive from ol' Spongey. Got a GIR and 2 putted for par. Hole 3 is a slight dogleg right, 373 yards and the tee box purposely points into the woods at the elbow of the dogleg. Every time I get on that teebox I think "go right" and I go left instead. Bye bye Spongebob, off into the woods you go. Double bogey.

Hole 4 is... wait for it... a par 4 with water about 280 out and a giant rock immediately after the water. Thankfully my drives go nowhere near the water, so even though I ended up to the left I still had a shot at the green... which I left short with the orange Prostaff. That ball feels HORRIBLE. Bogey. Hole 5 is the first par 3, so of course after leaving my last iron short I went too long on this one. Had to chip up from the rough to the green about 5 feet up, bogey. Felt like I was hitting a literal rock with my wedge. From what I found online, these balls are supposedly 90 compression. I think they forgot to add a 1 in front of that number. Or maybe it's just hardened with age. Who knows??? ¯\(°_o)/¯ 

Hole 6 is another par 4 (shocking, right?) and I hit an OK drive but dear lord that Prostaff sounded like CRAP off my F6. Pulled the Heavenwood, hit a worm burner, then finally hit the green. Double. Hole 7 is a par 3, and the hole where I landed my only ace (so far). This hole was not as kind to me today, faded my 7i too much with the orange terror as I was now calling the Prostaff, chipped up and the ball ran out for what felt like 2 miles,  2 putted for bogey.

Hole 8 is a long dogleg right, par 5 with a gully running across the fairway around 220 out. I usually find a way hit into the gully or into the marshy reeds that surround it, so I made sure to go well left, in fact so far left I ended up on the fairway of hole 6. That left me in a bad spot but I hit 2 7 irons to get close to the green. Chipped up then 3 putted for double. I ended up the par 4 hole 9 with another drive that made me almost want to lose the orange terror on purpose, but it ended up hitting the hill in the fairway and running down the other side. Missed the green right, chipped and 2 putted for another bogey. 

Final tally = +11 for a 46. Course slope is 111, rating is 34.4.

Spongebob was downright pillowy compared to the Prostaff. Didn't get a chance to play the Mojo but we already know what they bring to the table. I honestly don't know what was worse with the Prostaff, the feel or the sound. Or the complete lack of spin around the greens. To all three, I say BLEH. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

OK I took everyone's thoughts into consideration and I teed off at Touisett Country Club in Swansea, MA with the SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS ball!

Mr Pants (or maybe Mr Square Pants? I honestly don't know) stayed with me until the third hole. Hole 1 is a 324 yard par4 and I hit my drive around 255, which is pretty good for me. Unfortunately I had a bit too much fade which dropped me behind a set of tree and practically in someone's backyard. Punched out, pitched to the green, 2 putt bogey. 

Hole 2 is another par 4, straight forward and another solid drive from ol' Spongey. Got a GIR and 2 putted for par. Hole 3 is a slight dogleg right, 373 yards and the tee box purposely points into the woods at the elbow of the dogleg. Every time I get on that teebox I think "go right" and I go left instead. Bye bye Spongebob, off into the woods you go. Double bogey.

Hole 4 is... wait for it... a par 4 with water about 280 out and a giant rock immediately after the water. Thankfully my drives go nowhere near the water, so even though I ended up to the left I still had a shot at the green... which I left short with the orange Prostaff. That ball feels HORRIBLE. Bogey. Hole 5 is the first par 3, so of course after leaving my last iron short I went too long on this one. Had to chip up from the rough to the green about 5 feet up, bogey. Felt like I was hitting a literal rock with my wedge. From what I found online, these balls are supposedly 90 compression. I think they forgot to add a 1 in front of that number. Or maybe it's just hardened with age. Who knows??? ¯\(°_o)/¯ 

Hole 6 is another par 4 (shocking, right?) and I hit an OK drive but dear lord that Prostaff sounded like CRAP off my F6. Pulled the Heavenwood, hit a worm burner, then finally hit the green. Double. Hole 7 is a par 3, and the hole where I landed my only ace (so far). This hole was not as kind to me today, faded my 7i too much with the orange terror as I was now calling the Prostaff, chipped up and the ball ran out for what felt like 2 miles,  2 putted for bogey.

Hole 8 is a long dogleg right, par 5 with a gully running across the fairway around 220 out. I usually find a way hit into the gully or into the marshy reeds that surround it, so I made sure to go well left, in fact so far left I ended up on the fairway of hole 6. That left me in a bad spot but I hit 2 7 irons to get close to the green. Chipped up then 3 putted for double. I ended up the par 4 hole 9 with another drive that made me almost want to lose the orange terror on purpose, but it ended up hitting the hill in the fairway and running down the other side. Missed the green right, chipped and 2 putted for another bogey. 

Final tally = +11 for a 46. Course slope is 111, rating is 34.4.

Spongebob was downright pillowy compared to the Prostaff. Didn't get a chance to play the Mojo but we already know what they bring to the table. I honestly don't know what was worse with the Prostaff, the feel or the sound. Or the complete lack of spin around the greens. To all three, I say BLEH. 

Awesome write-up, sorry to hear ol' Bob wasn't up your alley

• Like 1