Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Long vs. Short Game

In my endless quest to get better, I’ve noticed a trend in my game and practice. After struggling badly with long clubs, especially driver, I got fit for my driver in January. I’ve worked hard on my long game and I’ve seen massive improvement. Par 5’s have gone from my worst to my best holes most days. Lately I feel like I’m in a cycle between long and short clubs. I have a good round of the tee and hit most fairways but struggle to hit greens. So I’ll spend time on the range working on irons and wedges. Then like clockwork I go back to the course and struggle to get off the tee and find fairways but hit great approach shots, after dropping or punching out of the trees that is. Wondering if anyone else has got caught in this cycle and more importantly, how did you get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone else comes up with a solution, please let me know immediately!! 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think there has to be an equal amount of practice/range time on long and short game. I have yet to find that balance. I also struggle with getting off the tee, then with approach shots. In my mind I try to fix one thing and focus on that instead of my entire game. Maybe one of these days I’ll figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

If anyone else comes up with a solution, please let me know immediately!! 

I was going to post the same exact thing!!! 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Split practice time 60/40 between short and long game. A large portion of the game is played with shorter clubs in your hands. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I would posit that playing IS the best sort of practice.  I haven't been going to the practice areas as much as in the past and replaced those trips with a quick 9 at a par-3 course.  There are actually five par-4 holes ranging from 250yds to 320yds.  The four par-3s are 100yds-160yds.  I have found this more valuable as "practice" than banging away at a bucket of balls.  Like anyone else with a full-time job and limited free time & money, I would much rather be on the course than a driving range.  I understand not everyone has a course like this nearby, but it is a big part of my "practice" strategy.  If you have access to something similar, I highly suggest trying it.

With that having been said, the driving range and chipping/putting green do have their value.  I continue to utilize both for practice.  For example, during a recent stretch of practice rounds I noticed that when I miss a green I had a lot of 15-30 yard pitch/chips with about half carry to the green.  I went and practiced those specific shots to build a little confidence.  I forget where the quote comes from but practice how you play, right? 

I hope that helps a little.

If you're not working on specific mechanical changes, I think a balanced practice is best.  Personally, I hit MOST of my shots on the range with a mid-iron, 5 or 6-iron.  These mechanics should be the same as those for driver or wedge, but I make sure to hit a few short irons as well as a few drivers, just to maintain those parts of my game.  I'm talking half-hour to 45 minute sessions, not marathons.  I pay attention to every swing, pre-shot routine, set-up, tempo, alignment, so I'm not hitting a ton of balls.

You didn't mention chipping and putting, but these need some attention.  For putting, practice 30 and 40 footers, and 3 to 8 footers, to stop 3-putts and make more of the make-able ones.  In between distances, you won't improve enough to make much difference.  For chipping, learn to hit the green every time, getting it close is a bonus for a 20-handicapper.

1 hour ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I would posit that playing IS the best sort of practice.  I haven't been going to the practice areas as much as in the past and replaced those trips with a quick 9 at a par-3 course.  There are actually five par-4 holes ranging from 250yds to 320yds.  The four par-3s are 100yds-160yds.  I have found this more valuable as "practice" than banging away at a bucket of balls.  Like anyone else with a full-time job and limited free time & money, I would much rather be on the course than a driving range.  I understand not everyone has a course like this nearby, but it is a big part of my "practice" strategy.  If you have access to something similar, I highly suggest trying it.

I would respectfully disagree with @TwoCoatsOfWax.  If you're trying to improve your swing, the range is critical.  When you're on the course, you're focused on the results of each shot.  When you're on the range, you can focus on your mechanical changes without worrying too much where the ball goes.  Additionally, playing isn't a really time-effective way to practice swings, you spend 1-1/2 to 2 hours to play 9 holes, you'll make more swings in a half-hour on the range.  Of course playing actual golf is important, and might be right for many people, but its definitely not the way to go if you're going to try to improve your swing.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Given enough time on the range, I can easily go from barely getting the ball off the ground to hitting it flush several times in a row. I can absolutely stripe it on the range then walk over to the first tee and duff it. If your mechanics are good, your best bet is to practice on the course in order to build comfort and consistency over the ball when you're actually feeling some level of pressure.

I wouldn't even advise dropping multiple balls unless working on a specific shot (like a greenside bunker). Just play one ball without worrying about score. If you hit a shot that you know is out of character, drop another down and hit again - then play the next shot from wherever your first ball is unless it's something so horrible and unlikely to recur that it doesn't make sense.

That's the best advice I can think to give for bringing your whole game together. I personally need to do it a bit more often myself as my consistency on the course is not very good.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

As far as my range time, I try to have a plan on what to work on so I’m not just blowing through a basket of balls. Sometimes it’s basic like tempo, sometimes it’s more specific but most of the time I focus on whatever my weakness was during my last round. Sometimes that’s a certain club, sometimes it’s a shot shape I fought or a specific move I want to make or not make. It seems to help correct issues form round to round but their is always something else taking a step back while I’m making another step forward.

As far as chipping/putting, I practice those at home on a regular basis. That’s always been the strength of my game I feel like. At my handicap I don’t expect to be hitting a ton of greens and fairways, I’d like to lose less tee balls and get my approach shots closer to the green more consistently. I feel like that is what will help me the most. I agree that the short game is king but I’ve seen my scores spike and drop with my long game.

My mindset is right at bogey. Find the fairway or close to it of the tee, get my approach close to the green, chip onto the green and 2 putts. Sounds simple when you put it like that doesn’t it...lol

47 minutes ago, LeftyRM7 said:

As far as my range time, I try to have a plan on what to work on so I’m not just blowing through a basket of balls. Sometimes it’s basic like tempo, sometimes it’s more specific but most of the time I focus on whatever my weakness was during my last round. Sometimes that’s a certain club, sometimes it’s a shot shape I fought or a specific move I want to make or not make. It seems to help correct issues form round to round but their is always something else taking a step back while I’m making another step forward.

As far as chipping/putting, I practice those at home on a regular basis. That’s always been the strength of my game I feel like. At my handicap I don’t expect to be hitting a ton of greens and fairways, I’d like to lose less tee balls and get my approach shots closer to the green more consistently. I feel like that is what will help me the most. I agree that the short game is king but I’ve seen my scores spike and drop with my long game.

My mindset is right at bogey. Find the fairway or close to it of the tee, get my approach close to the green, chip onto the green and 2 putts. Sounds simple when you put it like that doesn’t it...lol

A bit of this sounds like you keep patching your inflatable bot, but it keeps getting a new hole in a different spot.  Instead of band-aiding it together, why not improve your swing as a whole?  You're on track with what you say you want, losing fewer balls, more greens, that WILL help you the most.  To do that, improve your full swing.  My recommendation is always to get lessons, trying to teach yourself is generally unproductive at best, harmful at worst.  Browsing the internet is just as fruitless.  You'll find lots of advice to fix any problem, but the advisers will vary, disagree, and contradict one another.  

As an aside, the short game is NOT king.  The strokes gained data has shown that for a typical player, 2/3 of any improvement will come from his full-swing game, and 1/3 from short game and putting. That doesn't hold true for every player, no statistically derived guidance is, but its true for many of us.   Most people can improve the short game and putting the quickest, but there's a real limit to how much improvement in score you can get from those aspects.  For the greatest long-term improvement, you'll need to invest in full-swing improvement.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

A bit of this sounds like you keep patching your inflatable bot, but it keeps getting a new hole in a different spot.  Instead of band-aiding it together, why not improve your swing as a whole?  You're on track with what you say you want, losing fewer balls, more greens, that WILL help you the most.  To do that, improve your full swing.  My recommendation is always to get lessons, trying to teach yourself is generally unproductive at best, harmful at worst.  Browsing the internet is just as fruitless.  You'll find lots of advice to fix any problem, but the advisers will vary, disagree, and contradict one another.  

As an aside, the short game is NOT king.  The strokes gained data has shown that for a typical player, 2/3 of any improvement will come from his full-swing game, and 1/3 from short game and putting. That doesn't hold true for every player, no statistically derived guidance is, but its true for many of us.   Most people can improve the short game and putting the quickest, but there's a real limit to how much improvement in score you can get from those aspects.  For the greatest long-term improvement, you'll need to invest in full-swing improvement.

I agree with Dave's advice but will augment it by stating that short game practice can be long game practice.  Working on 30 to 50 yard pitch shots is very helpful for both the short and the long game.

If I were in your boat I would take lessons, work on what I'm being taught, learn to take clubs off the tee that will make a lost ball less likely (penalty avoidance is a huge way to save strokes) and be sure to save some time for short game (putts 3-5 feet and over 30) as well as random chips and pitches.

Good Luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I would respectfully disagree with @TwoCoatsOfWax.  If you're trying to improve your swing, the range is critical.  When you're on the course, you're focused on the results of each shot.  When you're on the range, you can focus on your mechanical changes without worrying too much where the ball goes.  Additionally, playing isn't a really time-effective way to practice swings, you spend 1-1/2 to 2 hours to play 9 holes, you'll make more swings in a half-hour on the range.  Of course playing actual golf is important, and might be right for many people, but its definitely not the way to go if you're going to try to improve your swing.

Good point and I completely agree.  If you are working on a specific thing, go to the range.  It is the most efficient way to get in reps.  However, it seems a more balanced approach to practice is what he's after.  I have a similar struggle to what I quote below which brings me to my second point and why I answered the way I did.

19 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

As far as my range time, I try to have a plan on what to work on so I’m not just blowing through a basket of balls.

I have a tendency to do this as well.   Run through a bucket of balls but half way or so through I've worn myself out because I'm going too fast.  At this point I am largely making poor swings which is not good practice IMO.  So I slow down.  I'll take breaks.  I'll do my pre-shot routine on each shot.  Things like that.  I end up being there for over an hour though.  Playing a quick 9 at my par-3 course, walking by myself, I can get around in an hour and a half.  Sometimes less.  So I weigh my options for general overall golf practice: an hour plus at the range or an hour and a half on the course.  I've started choosing the course more often.  It's what I feel helps me to just put in some reps in a situation where I am more focused on what I'm doing.  I hope the suggestion helps others.  If not, finding what works for you is the key.  Anyway, that's my train of thought.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I use what I call my 50/50 practice. 50 putts from 4-10 ft, followed by 50 range balls split about 20 wedges, 10 7 iron, 10 5 iron, 5 fairway metals, 5 drivers, followed by 50 chips, and finish with 50 30 ft putts. Usually twice a week. Tweak the numbers if I am working on something particular. Takes about 75-90 minutes

“Golf does not build character, it reveals it”

• Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Diamana D+ 60 stiff
  • Fairway: Titleist 913F Diamana D+82 stiff
  • Hybrid: Titleist 913H Diamana D+92 stiff
  • Irons: Titleist AP1 714 Aerotech i95 stiff
  • Wedges: Volkey SM5 50*55*60* True Temper S300
  • Putter: Tour X
  • Ball: Snell MTB

I have found that embracing variability in practice helps to keep the whole game sharp.  If I go to the range with the express purpose of working on say my driver or wedges, and practice mostly or only those clubs, the other parts of my game will suffer.  (Note: I'm talking about maintinence and general game improvement, not fixing a specific mechanical problem--which is a separate issue.) 

I have a set warm up that I do whether I am getting ready for a round or getting ready for a range session.  The first part involves drills and exercises in a specific order that emphasize balance, tension and tempo. The second part goes over the fundamentals--grip, posture, alignment, ball position.  All told, I hit 19 balls in the warm up.  Here is the part that applies to the topic at hand:  Even when doing the same dill three times, I will vary the club.  I will do the first drill with say a driver, 8 iron and sand wedge.  The next drill I will do three times, using a long iron, gap wedge and 8 iron.  

Once warmed up, I move on to general practice.  I have a number of skill building drills/games that I do at the range, which vary each time.  I choose which to do before I get to the range.  In deciding the order to go through the games, I try to mix things up.  I don't want to do three drills in row that involve hitting full shots.  I'll go full shot drill to chipping drill to a variable distance drill.   

A sample range session would go something like this:

Game 1.   "Short, medium, long."  I will do sets of three balls.  I will pick a target, say the 100 yard marker.  I'll grab a club that I can hit over the target and hit the first ball 75 yards, the second 120 and the third to the marker.  I change clubs and targets and repeat.  I may hit driver 200, 150 and 250 and then 8-iron 100, 125 and 150.

Game 2.  "Draw, fade, straight."  I'll pick a target and hit the same club to the target, hitting a draw, a fade and then straight.  Then change clubs and targets and repeat.  

Game 2 involved a lot of full swings, so my next games would vary from full swings.

Game 3.  One target, three clubs.  Pick a target, hit to the target using three different clubs, at least two clubs apart.  So I could use 9, 7 and 5 irons.  

Game 4.  High, medium and low pitches.  

Game 5.  Toe, heel center.  Hit sets of three balls, first shot on the toe, second on the heel, third in the sweet spot.  

Game 6.  Chip with three different clubs.  Same target, but hit lofted wedge, mid-iron and long iron chips.  

I will usually end any range session by playing a few holes from the course on the range.  At my home range, I'm a bit limited on how much I can mix things up.  I go to a range in Florida where there is a practice green about 30 yards from the practice tee, so I can incorporate putting into the mix.

In general, I try to vary clubs as much as possible.  If I do hit the same club, I rarely  hit the same shot two times in a row.  (I have a hard and fast rule to never, ever hit the same shot more than 3 times in a row.)   

I find varying practice engaging.  I stay mentally focused the whole time.  Frequently changing clubs and shots more closely approximates golf on the course and the time it takes to change clubs gives a breather on the range.  

Edited by alfriday101
21 hours ago, alfriday101 said:

I have found that embracing variability in practice helps to keep the whole game sharp.  If I go to the range with the express purpose of working on say my driver or wedges, and practice mostly or only those clubs, the other parts of my game will suffer.  (Note: I'm talking about maintinence and general game improvement, not fixing a specific mechanical problem--which is a separate issue.) 

I have a set warm up that I do whether I am getting ready for a round or getting ready for a range session.  The first part involves drills and exercises in a specific order that emphasize balance, tension and tempo. The second part goes over the fundamentals--grip, posture, alignment, ball position.  All told, I hit 19 balls in the warm up.  Here is the part that applies to the topic at hand:  Even when doing the same dill three times, I will vary the club.  I will do the first drill with say a driver, 8 iron and sand wedge.  The next drill I will do three times, using a long iron, gap wedge and 8 iron.  

Once warmed up, I move on to general practice.  I have a number of skill building drills/games that I do at the range, which vary each time.  I choose which to do before I get to the range.  In deciding the order to go through the games, I try to mix things up.  I don't want to do three drills in row that involve hitting full shots.  I'll go full shot drill to chipping drill to a variable distance drill.   

A sample range session would go something like this:

Game 1.   "Short, medium, long."  I will do sets of three balls.  I will pick a target, say the 100 yard marker.  I'll grab a club that I can hit over the target and hit the first ball 75 yards, the second 120 and the third to the marker.  I change clubs and targets and repeat.  I may hit driver 200, 150 and 250 and then 8-iron 100, 125 and 150.

Game 2.  "Draw, fade, straight."  I'll pick a target and hit the same club to the target, hitting a draw, a fade and then straight.  Then change clubs and targets and repeat.  

Game 2 involved a lot of full swings, so my next games would vary from full swings.

Game 3.  One target, three clubs.  Pick a target, hit to the target using three different clubs, at least two clubs apart.  So I could use 9, 7 and 5 irons.  

Game 4.  High, medium and low pitches.  

Game 5.  Toe, heel center.  Hit sets of three balls, first shot on the toe, second on the heel, third in the sweet spot.  

Game 6.  Chip with three different clubs.  Same target, but hit lofted wedge, mid-iron and long iron chips.  

I will usually end any range session by playing a few holes from the course on the range.  At my home range, I'm a bit limited on how much I can mix things up.  I go to a range in Florida where there is a practice green about 30 yards from the practice tee, so I can incorporate putting into the mix.

In general, I try to vary clubs as much as possible.  If I do hit the same club, I rarely  hit the same shot two times in a row.  (I have a hard and fast rule to never, ever hit the same shot more than 3 times in a row.)   

I find varying practice engaging.  I stay mentally focused the whole time.  Frequently changing clubs and shots more closely approximates golf on the course and the time it takes to change clubs gives a breather on the range.  

Here is someone who understands how to practice.  Hopefully his game has a strategy that these games support.  I see:  I need to control the distances of my clubs, I need to control the trajectory of my clubs,  I need to control the distance and trajectory of my pitch shots, drivers don't all have to go full distance, I am responsible for how solid I hit the ball, and I know how to correct solidness during my round.   He is training, Golf IQ, Decision Making, Ball Control, & Mindset.  Hopefully he does something similar with his putting.  

Lots of good information on here. So far here is what I’ve taken to the range to help my game. First I stopped hitting the same club more than 3 times. I think most people have a tendency to grab a club and hit 5-10 shots, often at the same target. I watch people do it all the time. I know I did. Nothing like what you do on the course. I’m also changing my target. I like the idea of randomizing practice. I guess the theme is practice like you play. On course you’re always having different looks and different clubs from shot to shot. I used to work through my bag from short to long clubs. Now I’ve started randomizing and bouncing around. That has helped me break out of my hot/cold play with certain clubs.

I’m only a few weeks into this new strategy but I played yesterday and i definitely noticed a difference. I played great on the front with a good balance between my long and short clubs. I was actually striking my irons the best I can remember and still hitting my woods well. Then on the back I kind of lost my woods. My great strikes with my irons turned into low bullets with my driver. That left me way short off the tee and cost me a handful of strokes. That being said, I’m happy with the progress I’ve made and think I’m headed down the right track.

Also, to make a point about the full swing vs short game debate. The more I play, the more I believe the full swing is the key for the average golfer. My last 2 rounds I’ve battled my full swing, shot 99 and 100. Not nearly my best, certainly not my worst. Yet I’ve had 31 and 28 putts. Likewise, my best rounds this year, 90 and 92, came with 33 and 36 putts. I can’t argue with those facts.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:11 AM, Rchang said:

take one wedge and hit the Pelz wedge system.

What's that?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

17 hours ago, ncwoz said:

What's that?

Same as the clock method.   You learn distances for specific length swings and you can do with a single wedge or all your wedges.    I used to have a chart for PW-LW for 1/4, 1/2, and full swings and really need to do this again.   Once you have the distances,  unless you need to change trajectory or do something special you have yardages for most everything inside about 125 yards.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 months later...

"The fat guy in the rain coat" Pelzy, if I remember right, stated the guys that could get it up and down from 100 yards and in, were the money makers.  Of course he was a failed professional. So he went to his second love rocket science, so he probably knows something about numbers. I've worn out a couple of his books. I could usually hit (greens) at least a 1/3 and usually more than half, but rarely break 80. One day, I hit (I think) 16 or 17 greens and shot 74.....pretty pathetic if you think about it. If I was teaching, I would start them out around the greens and work back.

Edited by Walkin
added detail
3 hours ago, Walkin said:

"The fat guy in the rain coat" Pelzy, if I remember right, stated the guys that could get it up and down from 100 yards and in, were the money makers.  Of course he was a failed professional. So he went to his second love rocket science, so he probably knows something about numbers. I've worn out a couple of his books. I could usually hit (greens) at least a 1/3 and usually more than half, but rarely break 80. One day, I hit (I think) 16 or 17 greens and shot 74.....pretty pathetic if you think about it. If I was teaching, I would start them out around the greens and work back.

Pelz did make his money marketing and selling short game and putting instruction, he has a vested interest in telling the world how important short game and putting is.  Of course, it's all important, but putting is the easiest to improve, the easiest to max out.  After that, you better improve the full swing game.  That's tougher, takes more time and more effort, but has the biggest upside.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

** Disclaimer - I'm not a great golfer, lol **

I was caught in the endless cycle of tee game strong, short game weak and vice versa.  Here is what I have found from my experience.  The reason I was struggling was because there is a difference from hitting a driver with a neutral or positive AOA vs hitting an iron/wedge/fairway with a negative AOA.  When my positive AOA was on point, I would crush my driver but then struggle with my irons.  When my negative AOA was shinning, irons were pure but the driver was erratic.  I could never quite figure out how to deliver the club with the driver and the irons consistently at the same time.  So I had a decision to make... I could commit to practicing/lessons and learn the correct way to deliver the club to the ball but that would require more practice and with a wife/kids/career etc I'd much rather spend my time playing.  The practice time I do have is used to work on my wedges/putting.  My decision was to abandon the positive AOA delivery (and the driver altogether).  Every other club in the bag I can deliver with a negative AOA and don't have to change anything between clubs.  Now I just hit 3-wood off the tee as my longest club.  I'm hitting the ball much straighter and more importantly I'm not losing balls (and costing me strokes) off the tee.  I also mostly play tees that are 6500 yards and under and its making my time on the course much more enjoyable.  Yes I'm hitting a lot more 6-8 irons into the green, rather than wedges but my scrambling is much improved (due to that being what I spend 90% of my practice time on).  This is just my experience on the course and I'm not even sure there is advice in my post but hopefully something in there might help you out.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

SmoothG   does that name indicate your tempo? At  a 14 you and with a smooth swing  you can't be missing that many

fairways. Even if you do, that would eliminate problem # 2 lost balls. When you look for yours you will find many extras.  

In my years of playing I have found 10  5 gallon bucket full, that's 330  balls per bucket. To clean them just wrap your

cement mixer blades with synthetic grass. If you play with a group that may not be an option, but if you walk now and then

you'll find plenty. As far as practice goes, you're spot on with the short game, however the long game can be practiced at

home. In my case I just hung a recycled commerical fishing  net ($50.) between to trees and problem solved, also it's great

exercise at a moment's notice. I have confidence that you will figure out your face angle in no time. For me the driver is 

to much fun not to have in my bag. Now tell mama you have business in Paris tn., and I'll buy you a round or 2, and we have

an extra room. However it won't be free, as I'll be sure the lawn needs mowing!!    Friend   Bob

ps.    What I have found helpful, is I'll pick out an alignment aid about a foot or so in front of my ball and

take my setup from that. From there I forget about what's "out there" and put a SmoothG movie star swing on it and let the

producers edit in the results. Hope this helps (or at least makes sense).

• 3 weeks later...

Spend equal time on all parts of your game except putting. Spend twice the amount of time on putting. Everyone has the better part of there game but spend time on the best part because you can improve on everything. For example I hit my long irons 10x’s better than I do my short irons and my driver is the best part of my game but I work on everything for 4 hrs 3 times a week no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

8 hours ago, Bobby Hurst said:

I prefer a long game rather than a short one. Long game is really exciting, more interesting and challenging rather than short one. I've been a fan of golf for many years. I consider myself as a golf nerd. I actually owned a website that creates guide for golf beginners.

So you've come to this website to plug your own website?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 hours ago, Bobby Hurst said:

I prefer a long game rather than a short one. Long game is really exciting, more interesting and challenging rather than short one. I've been a fan of golf for many years. I consider myself as a golf nerd. I actually owned a website that creates guide for golf beginners.

I would respectfully disagree. I think the short game (in my case 100 yds in) is more exciting because it requires a much higher skill level. But then that's just me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

So you've come to this website to plug your own website?

Basically 

16 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I would respectfully disagree. I think the short game (in my case 100 yds in) is more exciting because it requires a much higher skill level. But then that's just me. 

I agree. Tons of options for club and shot choice. Long game is basically choose a club that goes the furthest

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1